DRZ400sm? Is it for my style of riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

DRZ400sm? Is it for my style of riding?

Benny!

Site Supporter
I'm getting bored with sport bikes on the road. I want something that is slower and versatile. To enjoy riding around on and not have to go fast to have fun. I'm considering a DRZ sumo but I enjoy going on day trips and longer trips to PA etc. Will this bike be comfortable for that? Pros cons?

Thanks guys

I'm getting bored with sport bikes on the road. I want something that is slower and versatile. To enjoy riding around on and not have to go fast to have fun. I'm considering a DRZ sumo but I enjoy going on day trips and longer trips to PA etc. Will this bike be comfortable for that? Pros cons?

Thanks guys

They are not comfortable on the highway for long distances, you have to wind out 5th gear to get it to go ~120-130 indicated, and I weigh much less than most dudes. Having a sumo won't suddenly be fun, it might just encourage you to break more traffic laws, so po-tay-to po-tah-to. Either you're going to be speeding on a sportbike (maybe a 172), or riding down sidewalks/stairways on a sumo (definitely a 172)

Get a v Strom if money is a big issue or a KTM 1190Adv if you want the best all around bike.

I want something that is slower and versatile.
Thanks guys

One of the reasons, I don't get other bikes is they engine is too boring to me. I like quick acceleration & high rpm.

I might get a sport tourer with a detuned 1000cc engine. I was looking for an adventure bike, but seeing most are V-twins, I don't think I might enjoy that.
I'd try to demo a 1000cc adventure bike next year

One of the reasons, I don't get other bikes is they engine is too boring to me. I like quick acceleration & high rpm.

I might get a sport tourer with a detuned 1000cc engine. I was looking for an adventure bike, but seeing most are V-twins, I don't think I might enjoy that.
I'd try to demo a 1000cc adventure bike next year
The big KTM adventure or Ducati multistrada will out accelerate the sport touring bikes and handle at least as good if not better.

I want to keep t to smaller cc for more insurance friendly prices.

The big KTM adventure or Ducati multistrada will out accelerate the sport touring bikes and handle at least as good if not better.
Even if they are of comparable cc's?

I sat on quite a few & can't believe how big & bulky they are. Plus seat height seems higher than sport bikes

To each his own. Different bikes require different headspace. If you have to talk yourself into liking something it's probably not going to work over the long term. I was attracted to but also concerned about 650cc single. Bought it without test ride. Hated it immediately. Did some performance mods, changed my thinking now I love it on back roads, gravel roads. I think a 400 would suck tho. Especially for travelling. BTW, looking at 100cc bikes now. Want to build a rock crawler.

To each his own. Different bikes require different headspace. If you have to talk yourself into liking something it's probably not going to work over the long term. I was attracted to but also concerned about 650cc single. Bought it without test ride. Hated it immediately. Did some performance mods, changed my thinking now I love it on back roads, gravel roads. I think a 400 would suck tho. Especially for travelling. BTW, looking at 100cc bikes now. Want to build a rock crawler.
If things settle down for me next year, I'd buy a few bikes & sell them if I don't like them. I figure you can't evaluate a bike in 1 day.

I'm keeping the sport bike in the garage just in case

Go for a ride on a CB500X. Rode one at a demo day and was smiling the whole time.

If things settle down for me next year, I'd buy a few bikes & sell them if I don't like them. I figure you can't evaluate a bike in 1 day.

I'm keeping the sport bike in the garage just in case

Absolutely, nothing gets the juices flowing like a good sport bike. I have but could not have it as only bike. Need three bikes minimum and that's tight. DRZ400 Sumo would NOT be on in the stable. Good for faux hooliganism, nothing else.

Two options, and keep in mind CCs doesn't always dictate rates..

A nice used Ninja 400, which is just a smaller ninja 650

Kawasaki-Ninja-400R-2011_i02.jpg

or Aprilia Shiver 750 thumper w/ABS..

2013-aprilia-shiver-750-a-2_600x0w.jpg

They are not comfortable on the highway for long distances, you have to wind out 5th gear to get it to go ~120-130 indicated, and I weigh much less than most dudes. Having a sumo won't suddenly be fun, it might just encourage you to break more traffic laws, so po-tay-to po-tah-to. Either you're going to be speeding on a sportbike (maybe a 172), or riding down sidewalks/stairways on a sumo (definitely a 172)

is a drz actually good for stairs or up/down things, curbs, etc? serious question

That's for trials bikes.....and you don't ride...you stand :D....not that you have much choice.

Gas%20GasTXT%20300%20PRO-032_1.jpg

OP - mid-weight dual sport like the Weestrom or something like the FZ-09 will give you upright seating and the latter is no slouch with 115 HP and 414 lb wet....it will hustle with most anything under a litre.

14yamahaFZ09_2.jpg

For one, its motor. Like pretty much every part on the bike, the FZ-09’s powerplant was designed specifically for this made-for-fun naked street machine, though Yamaha officially categorizes the FZ-09 as a “sport” bike (which it certainly is in many respects). It was also designed to be powerful, fast and, most importantly, torquey. And that it is. The FZ-09 oozes torque, 64.5 ft-lb @ 8500 rpm, Yamaha says. No other bike in its class has more, though the BMW F800 R comes pretty close at 63 ft-lb @ 6000 rpm. Although we haven’t had the chance to challenge Yamaha’s torque claims on the dyno yet, our arms, however, seem to think it’s about right after twisting the throttle on the bike for the first time recently. And not only is the FZ-09 torquey but it has tons of midrange gusto and is just plain powerful. And when you combine these elements with a lightweight and agile-handling package, you have the perfect ingredient for some serious f-u-n, which is something we certainly experienced during Yamaha’s recent media launch for the FZ-09.

http://www.cyclenews.com/366/22362/Racing-Article/First-Ride--2014-Yamaha-FZ-09.aspx

Weestrom is go anywhere but no thrills....just a durable comfortable long distance hauler you can take off pavement. ( mild off road )

You've got Super Motards....but really for distance....an 80 miles range is a non-starter..

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-out...014-ducati-hypermotard-sp-vs-mv-agusta-rivale

Last edited:
I came in here to recommend the Burgman 650 as it offers 80% the performance of a sport bike and many riders world wide claim it is the best bike they've owned in their entire riding careers, but it looks like the Yamaha FZ-07/9 is the way to go these days.

Good luck!

Holla holla get dollas!

I got a good quote on a fz07 but they are still too expensive. -_-

Thanks guys

That bike is not for your kind of riding. As always the bike will do it, but the better question is why .... When there's so many other machines you could entertain ....

I came in here to recommend the Burgman 650 as it offers 80% the performance of a sport bike and many riders world wide claim it is the best bike they've owned in their entire riding careers, but it looks like the Yamaha FZ-07/9 is the way to go these days.

Good luck!

Holla holla get dollas!
Pfff, hahaha

Back
Top Bottom