Rear ended--advice please | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear ended--advice please

Furpo

Site Supporter
I was at a green waiting for room on the other side to proceed when I was hit from behind and pushed forward a few feet. [The van that hit me had been motionless behind me for up to a minute. The driver was not able to explain why he decided to drive into my back.] I remained upright and I am pretty sure I am physically fine.

The driver and I exchanged license, ownership (in retrospect not sure why), and insurance info. He acknowledged, verbally, that he was at fault.

I was waiting with both feet on the ground, clutch in, front brake on. There was quite a roar from the bike as I lurched forward. The plate is badly bent but otherwise the bike looks, to my untrained eye, to be fine. (Though I haven't gone over it carefully yet, and I only rode it for a further two minutes.) Should I get the bike checked out? What could the potential problems be? Is there anything else I need to do? It's a CBR250RA.

Many thanks.

Lesson to be learned: traffic was very slow and I had noticed that the offending driver twice failed to notice that the car in front had moved on and left very large gaps, although space was at a premium. I assumed he was not paying attention. Then I put myself in front of him.

Last edited:
Did he hit your back wheel? Make sure the rim isn't bent, the swingarm isn't compromised, damage to exhaust, undertail signals, brake light? Check everything over, if you want take it to a shop and get it looked over? Does the ride feel any different now?

Did he hit your back wheel? Make sure the rim isn't bent, the swingarm isn't compromised, damage to exhaust, undertail signals, brake light? Check everything over, if you want take it to a shop and get it looked over? Does the ride feel any different now?

Edited.

Last edited:
You may want to go to a collision reporting centre and file a report. Would be an accident on file, even though fault determination rules put the other driver at 100% fault. Would be needful if you are to claim any damages though.

Scary story. I'm paranoid at intersections about getting tagged from behind and sandwiched against the car (or truck) in front. Always scanning the mirrors...

Anyway, I'd get the bike to a dealer or good shop and have it inspected, especially the rear wheel and tire. Check run-out or wobble in the wheel and damage to the tire. Closely inspect for cracks in the wheel where the spokes join the rim and hub. Should also check the rear axle and chain adjusters to make sure nothing was bent or pushed out of alignment. You never know and you can't be too careful.

Go through your insurance since you have all his details and he's 100% at fault. They will want to have the bike checked out by a shop.

Do you also have witnesses? That may be important. Definitely report it to the collision ctr.

Go through your insurance since you have all his details and he's 100% at fault. They will want to have the bike checked out by a shop.

Do you also have witnesses? That may be important. Definitely report it to the collision ctr.

^ this 100%

I was at a green waiting for the intersection to clear when I was hit from behind and pushed forward a few feet.

My former gf does this to me everytime she sees me on the road.
Make an absolute sure you file a collision report and notify you insurance agent, if you haven't already done so.

Piece of advise from someone that also got rear ended and also stayed upright by holding on to the handle bars..

You are not fine even if you think you are. almost two years later I started suffering from back pain and other complications and end up with a full year of pain.

My accident was in 2010, 2011 was fine and I started having issues since 2012 last year been the worse one.

Call insurance as they might need to cover the extra health expenses OHIP won't cover

I was at a green waiting for the intersection to clear when I was hit from behind and pushed forward a few feet. I remained upright and I am pretty sure I am physically fine.

The driver and I exchanged license, ownership (in retrospect not sure why), and insurance info. He acknowledged, verbally, that he was at fault.

I was waiting with both feet on the ground, clutch in, front brake on. There was quite a roar from the bike as I lurched forward. The plate is badly bent but otherwise the bike looks, to my untrained eye, to be fine. (Though I haven't gone over it carefully yet, and I only rode it for a further two minutes.) Should I get the bike checked out? What could the potential problems be? Is there anything else I need to do? It's a CBR250RA.

Many thanks.

Lesson to be learned: traffic was very slow and I had noticed that the offending driver twice failed to notice that the car in front had moved on and left very large gaps, although space was at a premium. I assumed he was not paying attention. Then I put myself in front of him.

me personally when im either riding with a group or by myself i usually like to be the fall back guy and always am looking behind me so the driver visibly sees me staring at them and i brake twice, the 2nd time i brake once i see a car coming up to me and is around 2 car lengths away from me, i know it wont stop or deter them but better than doing nothing

If it rides fine and nothing is cracked or broken, I wouldn't bother reporting.

If you want to keep your license plate where it is, make sure all the bolts and nuts are secure. Mine fell off the day after the first collision, and my 6066R is now lost and not found =(

And I believe that you can't go to a collision centre for this. They require the damages to be over $1000-$1500 for an official report (depending on the city that you crashed). Doesn't mean that you can't call the insurance though.

My bike took pretty bad beating on 2 different occasions, and aside from cosmetic damage, everything was fine, so I doubt your little fender bender is an issue for the CBR.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?171088-Got-rear-ended
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?173794-Got-rear-ended

If you want to keep your license plate where it is, make sure all the bolts and nuts are secure. Mine fell off the day after the first collision, and my 6066R is now lost and not found =(

And I believe that you can't go to a collision centre for this. They require the damages to be over $1000-$1500 for an official report (depending on the city that you crashed). Doesn't mean that you can't call the insurance though.

My bike took pretty bad beating on 2 different occasions, and aside from cosmetic damage, everything was fine, so I doubt your little fender bender is an issue for the CBR.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?171088-Got-rear-ended
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?173794-Got-rear-ended

Solid GTAM advice!!

The sum of $1000 is not to judge if you should or not report it, by law you have to report the accident irrelevant of cost

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/brochures/pages/brochure_accidents.aspx

What to do After an Auto Accident

STEP 1 Stop. If your vehicle is involved in an accident and you don't stop, you may be subject to criminal prosecution.

STEP 2 If anyone is injured, if the total damage to all the vehicles involved appears to be MORE than $1,000, or if you suspect that any of the other drivers involved are guilty of a Criminal Code offence (such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol), call 911 and follow the instructions given to you by the emergency operator. Police will arrive as soon as possible.

Do not try to move anyone injured in the accident — you may aggravate their injuries!

If no one is injured and total damage to all the vehicles involved appears to be LESS than $1,000, call your local police for instructions. Police units may or may not be dispatched to the scene.
If local police do not attend the scene of the accident, they will instruct you to report to a Collision Reporting Centre within 24 hours.

Collision Reporting Centres are police facilities created to assist motorists in reporting motor vehicle accidents. At the reporting centre you will be assisted in completing a police report, and damage to the vehicle will be photographed.

Collision Reporting Centres are currently available in a number of jurisdictions across the province. Visit:www.accsupport.com
external.png
or call: (416) 745-3301 to locate the Collision Reporting Centre nearest to you.

If there isn't a Collision Reporting Centre in the area of the accident, the police will ask you to go to the nearest police station to file a report.

STEP 3 If it is safe to do so, move your vehicle to the side of the road, out of traffic. If your vehicle cannot be driven, turn on your hazard lights or use cones, warning triangles or flares, as appropriate.

If you have access to a digital camera or a cell phone, you should use it to take pictures of the scene; preferably before the vehicles are moved. You should also use your cell phone to audio record as much information as possible.

STEP 4 Write down the names, addresses, and telephone and driver's licence numbers of all of the other drivers, the licence plate numbers of the other vehicles, as well as the names and addresses of the registered owners of the vehicles, and the insurance information for each of the other vehicles.

STEP 5 Also obtain the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of passengers and witnesses.

STEP 6 Jot down specific details about the scene of the accident, using the accident worksheet provided.

STEP 7 Report the accident to your broker, agent, or insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. For more information on filing an insurance claim with your insurance company, call FSCO at(416) 250-7250, Toll-free: 1-800-668-0128, and ask for a copy of our After an Auto Accident: Understanding the Claims Process brochure.

Last edited:
You don't have to report a accident under 1000 total damage but you should if you are not at fault unless you have agreed to a cash settlement to fix the bike. You may have injuries show up later and your bike may be much more badly damaged than you realize. The info from the fsco is wrong but it is in their best interest to have every accident reported so they can raise rate.
Coles notes accident over 1g must be reported and under it is your choice but would be smart to report in this case.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/topics/reporting.shtml
sent from a device using a program

Last edited:
I got rear ended 2 weeks ago actually, same bike. Stopped for a pedestrian cross and then a second later I got hit. Info was transferred, sorrys were sent, little to no mechanical damage on the bike (the entire rear fender is now at a 10-15 degree tilt, chewed up plate too) and went to collision centre, contacted insurance and everything.

The process was pretty smooth, lost a couple hours from work cuz of it but I didnt feel any pain. For now I guess.

It's been 2 weeks today, and I'm still waiting on insurance to actually do something. It took 1 week to set up an appointment with the appraiser, and every time I call the insurance company, no one picks up. I'm just glad my bike is still ridable.

Solid GTAM advice!!

The sum of $1000 is not to judge if you should or not report it, by law you have to report the accident irrelevant of cost

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/brochures/pages/brochure_accidents.aspx

What to do After an Auto Accident

STEP 1 Stop. If your vehicle is involved in an accident and you don't stop, you may be subject to criminal prosecution.

STEP 2 If anyone is injured, if the total damage to all the vehicles involved appears to be MORE than $1,000, or if you suspect that any of the other drivers involved are guilty of a Criminal Code offence (such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol), call 911 and follow the instructions given to you by the emergency operator. Police will arrive as soon as possible.

Do not try to move anyone injured in the accident — you may aggravate their injuries!

If no one is injured and total damage to all the vehicles involved appears to be LESS than $1,000, call your local police for instructions. Police units may or may not be dispatched to the scene.
If local police do not attend the scene of the accident, they will instruct you to report to a Collision Reporting Centre within 24 hours.

Collision Reporting Centres are police facilities created to assist motorists in reporting motor vehicle accidents. At the reporting centre you will be assisted in completing a police report, and damage to the vehicle will be photographed.

Collision Reporting Centres are currently available in a number of jurisdictions across the province. Visit:www.accsupport.com
external.png
or call: (416) 745-3301 to locate the Collision Reporting Centre nearest to you.

If there isn't a Collision Reporting Centre in the area of the accident, the police will ask you to go to the nearest police station to file a report.

STEP 3 If it is safe to do so, move your vehicle to the side of the road, out of traffic. If your vehicle cannot be driven, turn on your hazard lights or use cones, warning triangles or flares, as appropriate.

If you have access to a digital camera or a cell phone, you should use it to take pictures of the scene; preferably before the vehicles are moved. You should also use your cell phone to audio record as much information as possible.

STEP 4 Write down the names, addresses, and telephone and driver's licence numbers of all of the other drivers, the licence plate numbers of the other vehicles, as well as the names and addresses of the registered owners of the vehicles, and the insurance information for each of the other vehicles.

STEP 5 Also obtain the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of passengers and witnesses.

STEP 6 Jot down specific details about the scene of the accident, using the accident worksheet provided.

STEP 7 Report the accident to your broker, agent, or insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. For more information on filing an insurance claim with your insurance company, call FSCO at(416) 250-7250, Toll-free: 1-800-668-0128, and ask for a copy of our After an Auto Accident: Understanding the Claims Process brochure.

Allow me to use the red font too =)

Q. Suppose I get hit from the rear and agree to allow the wrongful party to pay for the damages. After signing the paperwork indicating that he will cover the costs, which are below $1000.00, can I still make a report should he/she decides change his/her mind and refuse to pay for the damages?
A. If no one is hurt and the damage is under $1000.00 the report is not required by law. It would be wise to have everything documented by an official of the government for future references just in case one party decides to change their mind. The answer is Yes.

Source: http://www.collision-reporting-centre.com/q_a/

On my first incident as linked previously, I didn't want the whole thing to backfire on me possibly, since the 1939born guy told me that he went to the collision centre to file it. So I went in as well. The officeer came out, and looked at the bike. He basically told me to GTFOff, since there was no damages to his understanding - well under $1000.

And on my 2nd incident, I called in the collision centre and told them that the other guy and I are trying to solve the issue between ourselves and whether this was ok and I asked what was the latest I could call in... The officer said all good (without taking any info of mine) and told me to come in if things dont work out. After 7 days, I went in and filed the report without any issue whatsoever. The insurance company wasn't very pleased though. They told me to call in ASAP next time.

On my 3rd accident (got rear ended in car - http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?179566-Got-rear-ended-v2-1), I allowed the guy to pay for damages at the dealership. It was not reported.

On the 4th incident - http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?182804-Accident-3-U-turner-from-the-right-lane, didn't bother to go in once again. Both parties covered their own damages.

Last edited:
Still bad advice to tell someone to brush it off and not report an accident specially when the person was rear ended and not at fault.

Newer riders do (for some reason) look for serious advice in this forum and we (you and I) should be careful with the type of advice we give having a bit more experience than they do as they will actually take our advice seriously (again for some reason).

Thanks to all for the responses. I called my insurance company and told them about the incident. I said I had a mechanic that I wanted to use to check for damage. They said fine, let them know the outcome and send a report if there is damage. The bike is in the shop and I will know the prognosis by end of today. I called the collision centre and they said it's fine to have a shop check for damage and then go in if necessary. I am going to report regardless, partly so there is a record of it and partly because I don't know what the other guy may decide to do pre-emptively.

There is little downside to the above. I have no witnesses, but it would be difficult for the other party to be credible should he dispute my version of events. The damage is to the rear of my bike and the mark is on the front of his van. That is, I don't think I will end up in the worst-case scenario of damage to the bike and inability to claim no fault.

What I wish I had done was call the police at the time. I didn't make clear in my original post (since edited) but we had been waiting at the intersection for up to a minute. I was waiting for room to cross in packed rush hour traffic. That is, the van was motionless behind me for that whole time. Either he didn't agree that I should wait for room and so decided to nudge me, or he was in a dworm and coming out of his pleasant morning reveries he looked up, saw the green and forgot there was a motorcycle in front of him. Either way, dangerous driving, and he had an M license!

@ZX600: you are absolutely right, back problems emerge slowly, and different traumas conspire over time. Unfortunately I am all too familiar with this scenario. The treatment is often 'paramedical' so not much covered even by employer group insurance. Hope your pain clears!

Still bad advice to tell someone to brush it off and not report an accident specially when the person was rear ended and not at fault.

Newer riders do (for some reason) look for serious advice in this forum and we (you and I) should be careful with the type of advice we give having a bit more experience than they do as they will actually take our advice seriously (again for some reason).

Read my post again. I haven't told anyone to brush anything off, and unlike you, I haven't used any directive/imperative sentences. I simply shared what I would do in such circumstances, or shared what I've done in my incidents.

There is little downside to the above. I have no witnesses, but it would be difficult for the other party to be credible should he dispute my version of events. The damage is to the rear of my bike and the mark is on the front of his van. That is, I don't think I will end up in the worst-case scenario of damage to the bike and inability to claim no fault.

After my 2nd incident, I asked the collision centre whether it was ever possible to get a different outcome other than 100% at fault for the rear-ender and other than 0% for me, the answer was "Whatever the circumstances may be, the rear-ender is always at 100% fault, and you are always at 0% fault". So, I'm 100% sure, you shouldn't worry about not having a witness. You will be just fine in terms of paperwork. Regardless of stories, a rear-ender is a rear-ender in their eyes.

@ZX600: you are absolutely right, back problems emerge slowly, and different traumas conspire over time. Unfortunately I am all too familiar with this scenario. The treatment is often 'paramedical' so not much covered even by employer group insurance. Hope your pain clears!
I am good now :)

Good luck! let us know what happens

Read my post again. I haven't told anyone to brush anything off, and unlike you, I haven't used any directive/imperative sentences. I simply shared what I would do in such circumstances, or shared what I've done in my incidents.

Again, telling someone asking for advice that you wouldn't bother might not be directive/imperative sentence but you are shaping their decision with pretty bad advice.

We can go back and for on this and no one will gain anything by it. I am out!

Back
Top Bottom