Chain wax! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain wax!

Brant Bandit

Love it! Just cleaned and adjusted my chain, but instead of using maxima chain lube I switched to maxims chain wax.

In the process of cleaning, I discovered that the hub is actually silver behind my sprocket and not black! Lol who knew?

This stuff didn't drip all over, and likely won't fling now. Super happy.....we'll see how it holds up.
5a448dd209c1078eaa4410ac9020a73a.jpg

Xlent! I see you're from Brantford, mind you don't get your digits between sprocket and chain.

Shortest life I've ever had out of a chain on a street bike (10,000 km) was the one and only time I used Chain Wax.

Since switching to oil ... I've never had to replace a chain because it wore out.

Oil is messy, it flings off ... and it carries the dirt with it.

Your mileage may vary.

I use the same wax and 28,000 km this season so far and I haven't had one issue and my chain is fine according to the dealer 2 weeks ago.

Not a fan of the wax. I find more dirt sticks to the chain and sprokets, also its thicker so it wont get inside the o rings..imo.
I use chain lube then let it sit overnight and wipe the excess off in the morning.

Ah..the chain lube/wax thread. Been using that DuPont stuff that a lot of people like. Was reviewed on webbikeworld. I'm sure there's a few dozen archived threads here about it..

Ah..the chain lube/wax thread. Been using that DuPont stuff that a lot of people like. Was reviewed on webbikeworld. I'm sure there's a few dozen archived threads here about it..

Yup, me too... It is the King in my opinion. However, nothing beats the smell of the Chain Wax. #nohuffing

So much people putting down chain wax, other than the fact that its expensive it has been good to me. Here's my review on the suzuki chain wax.

Goes on like an oil but when dries, clings to your chain. It stays on your chain longer than Dupont. It appears to consists of a thicker wax & a volatile oil which evaporate as time progresses. If you let the wax dry before you wipe it off, you'll be cleaning the chain also.

I had no problems with rust because it is oil based. I can go 1200km before needing to re-lube, something great for trips. The Dupont, I have to lube at 600km

Not a fan of the wax. I find more dirt sticks to the chain and sprokets, also its thicker so it wont get inside the o rings..imo.

Chain lube is not suppose to dilute the grease behind the o-rings, the job of the o-rings is to keep everything out, grease in.

The actual lube on the rollers is there for the sprocket teeth.

As for cost, bicycle racers have been doing this forever, a cheap way to make wax lube is to dissolve paraffin shavings in kerosene. The kerosene evaporates quickly, leaving the paraffin.

Wax is great, but needs to be re-applied if you ride in the rain.

I thought that the wax was more water resistant than normal lube?I'll certainly post my experiences with the wax over the next few weeks. I just can't believe how clean my bike is!

Sorry to thread Jack, on the subject of chain and sprockets. Replacing the chain on my 2000 ninja 500r. How do these sprockets look to you?
0a278b912487de92ba332109c8ebfc05.jpg

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

Its kinda hard to tell but they don't seem to be too worn, either way that chain looks done and they should all be replaced anyways. On that type of a bike you don't need a fancy expensive chain either, a basic O-ring chain from a reputable brand is sufficient

As for lube, I like Motul. It goes on wet and dries super sticky...

^ Hard to see from that angle but it looks ok to me, how's the chain, any tight spots?

I've been using nothing but Maxima chain wax and it has been good to me. 20,000 klms on the same chain and no issues, regular cleaning is a must though.

Holla holla get dollas!

I thought that the wax was more water resistant than normal lube?I'll certainly post my experiences with the wax over the next few weeks. I just can't believe how clean my bike is!

water seems to get under it and it flakes off. It is by far the cleanest option, next to drive belts and shafts.

^ Hard to see from that angle but it looks ok to me, how's the chain, any tight spots?

I've been using nothing but Maxima chain wax and it has been good to me. 20,000 klms on the same chain and no issues, regular cleaning is a must though.

Holla holla get dollas!
Lol, you're not helping everyone who thinks you're mighty Mike

Chain lube is not suppose to dilute the grease behind the o-rings, the job of the o-rings is to keep everything out, grease in.

The actual lube on the rollers is there for the sprocket teeth.

As for cost, bicycle racers have been doing this forever, a cheap way to make wax lube is to dissolve paraffin shavings in kerosene. The kerosene evaporates quickly, leaving the paraffin.

more or less what i do, i use Motul chain lube, clean with Kerosene then i over lube the chain while hot. ill spin it by hand to get it all moving and then re spray a bit more.
then i overnight let it drip off the excess before i ride and wipe off a little extra more.
the chan wax just doesnt get inside.
my chain is at 10,000 looks and works perfect but im going to be doing sprokets and maybe 520 conversion this winter so ill be pulling it off and throwing it in the pile of parts.

i do end up riding in a lot of rain, unfortuantelly this is ontario...i hate rain and try to avoid it when i can but that proves harder and harder every year.

i do end up riding in a lot of rain, unfortuantelly this is ontario...i hate rain and try to avoid it when i can but that proves harder and harder every year.

seriously...I thought it supposed to be spring showers not fall showers, I don't know what's been up with the weather.

I had to ride 50 km on the 401 in the pissing rainstorm Tuesday in traffic while wearing a dark visor. I've never been that on edge during a ride in as long as I can remember.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom