KLR650 in Toronto? | GTAMotorcycle.com

KLR650 in Toronto?

il3dsm

Hello,

For next year I'm thinking of purchasing a KLR650 as I would like to do some offroading and the road bike with slick tires doesn't cut it on dirt trails. (I've tried)

What's the klr community like in Toronto? In particular, availability of local parts as well as dealers/stores with inexpensive shipping.
I haven't seen many KLR650's rolling around, mainly bmw 650/800gs and VStroms.

In addition, would you recommend a different dual sport instead? I will spend plenty of time on the highway as well as dirt roads and somewhat rarely completely not maintained mud roads. I've heard it's recommended to have a 16t front sprocket if you ride on the highway a lot, but would it still be low enough for dirt?

As far as parts go, it's just like any other Kawasaki. With Kahuna folded up, maybe you'll have to go a tiny bit farther than you used to, but it's not hard to get your hands on anything.

What's your existing dirt experience like?

Do not put a 16t front sprocket on the KLR for offroad use!

The KLR is much too heavy and with stock gearing and suspension, much too fast without enough power off road. I had the 15t front, and probably would have gone with the 14t if I didn't do so much long distance touring on it.

I would suggest the lighter, more powerful Suzuki DR650E or even the DR400 if you said you were going to go hardcore offroad and only ride from trail to trail.

I tossed a couple of grand at my KLR to make it into an off road bike, and a touring bike, then sold it for a DR650E to find it was much better than my farkled and overbored 685 KLR.

Here is my comparison:

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.ca/2012/08/2009-suzuki-dr650e.html

There is also the KTM 690 Enduro R. I may be a bit biased as I have one... but fantastic machine! Can completely rip off-road and cruises on the highway no problem ;)

What I like so far:

* ABS
* Power & Weight
* Absolutely Fantastic fuel-mileage
* Great suspension
* FI
* Smooth

Dislikes:

* Quite Tall
* Uncomfortable Seat
* Fuel cap is dumb

Obviously a pretty large gap in price.... but it's for a reason.

Last edited:
Yep, he drank the orange Kool Aid.

I'm leery about the KTM maintenance, but most of my friends who ride serious off road ride KTM, Husqvarna, or Husaberg.

Yep, he drank the orange Kool Aid.

I'm leery about the KTM maintenance, but most of my friends who ride serious off road ride KTM, Husqvarna, or Husaberg.

Don't knock the orange until you try it :p

Actually the 690 Enduro R maintenance is quite infrequent.... Every 10,000 KM.

Is that LC4 with the 18 part oil change?

9c1ac844a863865e98fa585c7302dbed.jpg
b0422c85bcec5c1e42d479caaebf768b.jpg

My nephews friend, Nate, has a 530exc. It's brilliant.

Okay, back to KLR650...

Stay away from the 2008 year due to poor rings that cause oil burning unless the guy did a rebore and did the 685 kit.

As far as I know the doohickey for all model years is still an issue, and a guy up in puffer law, the Guru, has a few of them that broke and made a mess of the lower case.

Aviciouscycle.ca or Dual Sport Plus has all the upgrades you could ever want for the KLR.

Off road tires I had a second set of rims that I mounted Kenda Trackmaster2 tires on, and they were good enough to get you out of a rut or dig the rear tire in trying. Bad news is they only last about 1700km on asphalt before burning off the knobs, and will rattle your teeth out.

Have a look at Kenda 270 tires, they are great for road use, and for dry dirt, a bit of sand, and mud. The front knobs are spaced too close together to fling anything clear, and in muddy ruts become a slick that will have you off the bike in no time.

My buddy rode is 08' across the translab with a TKC80 front and a Heidenau K60 rear. 1000km of gravel. I did it on Kenda 270s but wished for a more aggressive front tire.

UPGRADE YOUR PEGS! Those rubber covered stockers will have you face planting into your own bike!

Tail box - Go simple and mount a sturdy pelican or seahorse case, so when you have a get off, it won't break off like Givi, shad, koocase, kappa etc.

I put bar risers on for better off road handling while standing, and I'm about 6'

Guards. Your radiator and fan is worth 600 to replace, and it's the first thing I bent when I rode off road with it. SW motech make some great ones.

Barkbusters for riding through brush. You'll know what I mean when skirting a large water filled mud hole and the tree slaps your cheesy plastic into your brake lever. Lol.

There's so much more...
Oh, swap out the plastic bash plate for an aluminum one straight off, so you can slap rocks and bounce over fallen trees with impunity.

I never needed rim locks cause the KLR never developed enough power to spin the rubber and break the bead. Poor thing. The DR650E had more grin factor, and the KTM is what I'd want for my money.

I like my klr,took off the knobby tires and put 90-10 tires on it,did all the mods and of course had willy in pefferlaw,doing my work,top heavy for the trails,might sell mine soon ;),there are a few in the gta but dont have a group that ride.

My nephew Ryan got a 2007 KLR for first street bike on PEI, and we did the CMG Dawn 2 Dusk rally on rural New Brunswick roads, with me leading the medium paced group on my Versys 650, and he kept on my butt the whole 600km day. I gotta tell you, I miss my KLR. It can do almost everything the Versys can, haul a heavier load on its subframe, go down roads that I can't on my street tires, and with the corbin seat, provide all day comfortable riding.

5bfa1357365e8f4a3593a708620b086e.jpg

If I were on a serious budget, it would be my touring bike of choice again for its simplicity and ease of maintenance.

Last edited:
I like my KLR and it's perfect for what it's made for. Do you have the contact for Willy in Pefferlaw? I should get my doohickey done soon.

I like my klr,took off the knobby tires and put 90-10 tires on it,did all the mods and of course had willy in pefferlaw,doing my work,top heavy for the trails,might sell mine soon ;),there are a few in the gta but dont have a group that ride.

Thank you for the advice guys, especially Ronnie for providing detail description of what upgrades would be nice / important to have for the KLR.
I will also keep a look out for DR650E, and unfortunately the ktms are out of my budget range for now.

As far as parts go, it's just like any other Kawasaki. With Kahuna folded up, maybe you'll have to go a tiny bit farther than you used to, but it's not hard to get your hands on anything.

What's your existing dirt experience like?

Around 10-15 years ago I was fortunate enough to ride around near Ural mountain roads (never maintained, used by mining/industrial equipment) on an Izh Jupiter 2. It was so long ago I will say I don't have any. :)

Thank you for the advice guys, especially Ronnie for providing detail description of what upgrades would be nice / important to have for the KLR.
I will also keep a look out for DR650E, and unfortunately the ktms are out of my budget range for now.

Around 10-15 years ago I was fortunate enough to ride around near Ural mountain roads (never maintained, used by mining/industrial equipment) on an Izh Jupiter 2. It was so long ago I will say I don't have any. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget?

Hold out for a decent one at that price.

Klr's are great bikes.....a bit slow, heavy and tall, gotta luv them.
15477882101_8cde4d7973_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom