fuel efficient car for towing, etc.? | GTAMotorcycle.com

fuel efficient car for towing, etc.?

Riceburner

Replacing a minivan, so what's a good fuel efficient/low cost of ownership car that has the biggest interior space and can occasionally tow a trailer big enough for a couple of bikes or stuff? A small 4x8 one maybe.

Something like the Matrix, Venza maybe? Don't care about fancy stuff, massive power, etc....just function and reliability. Minivan is great for camping, hauling, etc., but is not the best on fuel. I don't always use all the space, especially when just winter commuting.

No, no, I don't need a van. I'm looking for a car that can tow once or twice a year. Cheap to own and run the rest of the time. Preferably easy to work on as I'm a DIYer.

1. Is the 4x8 open or enclosed ?
2. Space = fuel efficiency goes down.

The cross over or wagons might be your best best.

My Matrix has been very reliable so far (2009). I've had it 3 years and all I've replaced on it were the rear pads and rotors because a pad had worn on an angle and wore down prematurely.

The car is nothing impressive though, other than reliable and parts are cheap. It is slow, gutless, not super comfortable, gets about 7l /100k on the highway, closer to 9 or 10 in the city in stop and go. I have a hitch on mine that I got from Uhaul but haven't yet towed anything.

It does hold it's value well though... I bought mine for around $11000 plus hst 3 years ago, privately they are still selling for for around $10k or slightly less, and I was offered $8500 on a trade in.

Insurance... maybe higher than some other cars, I'm not too sure how this car is rated. I pay about $1700/year in Mississauga with collision, comp, etc.. Before you buy any car, call your insurance company and see what it would do to your rates.

I towed an 8x4 with bike and all race gear behind my matrix for about three years
Workes pretty good

Don't have a trailer. Figured I'd hit that later. I'm thinking something in the hatchback style would be it. Like a mini-minivan. lol

Whats your budget ? you've left this too wide open. There are tons of options out there.

Towing a big enclosed 4x8 with a matrix with two bikes and gear and people will be rough. But a open 4x8 would be a breeze

I should say the towing is very occasional. Going camping, hauling stuff if needed or picking up the bike in case of break down or to a track day. Probably smaller than 4x8 and open and light would be the reality. Might even end up not getting one if I can stuff everything to go camping into the car and put bicycles on the outside.

It's really about the car. Economical is the key word. Should have Power windows, Auto transmission and AC, but anything else fancy is just a bonus. I'm thinking used to save on the NEW hit...maybe a few years old. My 2000 minivan has less than 150k kms on it. So cage use is minimal.

Last edited:
pre-2000, Volvo v70. V70R if you wear fancy pants.
Will last 300,000miles +
Parts are still available
The ones you still see are nearly rust-free due to dipping the chassis in _____
5 cylinder for tq
20's MPG
Non-R's came in manual
Super comfy seats
Diamond-quilted suede seats in the R
Tow your toys
sleep in the back of the car

/winning

Crv mileage with an open trailer was decent , but went to the shitter when towing an enclosed 5x8.

Weelllll it's a hatchback... 19/28 mpg...that's almost as bad as my minivan!

I like the idea of a wagon. Sleeping spot when camping. lol

I slept in the back of my matrix a few times. Back seats fold flat. Lots of room

Golf/Passat TDI wagon?

I towed with VW TDI cars for years - first a '96 Passat, then a '06 Jetta. The new ones with the common-rail engine are too complex, and the older models each have a few gotcha items to look out for - but I sold each of those cars with well past 400,000 km on them.

The 04/05 passat would be an excellent candidate... but the transmission is somewhat crappy and extremely expensive. The engine also needs a few mod$ to ensure reliability.

Not a Jeep :)

If you're towing twice a year why not rent and buy a Eco car for the rest of the year?

Yup! Great idea. You can get a p/u from Enterprise. Used them a few times to transport a trailer. Some don't have a ball and wire harness but some do. At least in London.

I would just focus on getting a car and verify if it does have a tow rating.

My gf has an 05 matrix and i hauled an old flagstaff pop trailer and loaded with 5 people, bike rack and gear and it did great. I just didn't push it and I also drove without the od on. Drive from London to Picton and back.

I'd look for a used Corolla or Jetta TDi or what ever floats your boat and put a hitch on and rock and roll.

I also had a 2010 Ford Escape with 4 cyl fwd and put a class 2 hitch and it did great too.

It's regular fuel consumption was 9 to 10 l per 100 kms. Not bad for a little Suv and there is a ton out there. Put on 140k with just fuel and regular scheduled maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom