Fixing a bent titanium mid-pipe, tips? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fixing a bent titanium mid-pipe, tips?

doozerdave

Site Supporter
Does anyone have experience fixing a bent Ti mid-pipe? It buckled at the mount point 2/3 of the way up the pipe and needs to bend down at least 1" to clear the undertray. I'm afraid if I try to reverse the brute force of the crash with more brute force I'll crack it or tear it open. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

talk to Trevor Daley at onespeed chop shop. He fixed mine. How he told me he did it was, he caped one end off. He then filled the pipe with water, then caped the other end and froze the pipe in freezer. But he is very fair with his prices and does good work.

I've read about that technique also, might try that. Thanks.

post a picture....

So, it looks like the mount bracket is simply buckled in, but that's not the case. The end of the pipe on the left needs to move up (in the perspective of the 1st photo) so that the mount will unbuckle and the pipe will be in the right position.

15450468656_698ec7437a_o.jpg

15286847720_89c967b6bc_o.jpg

A common practice to fix dents in expansion chambers is to seal the pipe then pressurize with air, then heat the dent with a torch.
It's similar to the water freeze method but more controlled.

why not? been done lots of times. if you are a good welder its simple. ti is no harder weld then stainless

Fwiw I like your method better than the water trick...
Water expands about 10% when it freezes so what are the odds that that dent is close to the correct volume? it's probably less so there will be a risk of it cracking if you are not careful.
Titanium work hardens pretty easily so heating the area will certainly help to get it to pop out.
I've seen expansion chambers fixed this way and you cant even find the dent area afterwards. Again, you control where the dent pops back with heat, it's about as precise as you can get.

You could cut the pipe right thru at the worst part of the damage. Work the damaged ends over a stake or mandrel. Once happy weld it all back together.

You could cut the pipe right thru at the worst part of the damage. Work the damaged ends over a stake or mandrel. Once happy weld it all back together.
You're smarter than you sound

+1 This is what I did to fix an Akrapovic titanium elbow that was badly dented with a crease ......Dents are easier to knock back out but creasing isnt as easy

For that matter, I could just cut it and add in a small piece to "reangle" the end of the pipe.

For that matter, I could just cut it and add in a small piece to "reangle" the end of the pipe.

Id try the water/freeze trick first, but if that doesn't work you could always do what I had to do. Once you cut it you can pretty much fix anything that way, mine was way worse then yours so the water trick would not work

You want to get that dent out weather it fits on the bike like that or not, as a little dent like that in the right spot can totally mess up the performance of an exhaust. No point in having a $2000 Akra system if it doesnt make power because of a dent in a bad spot

Back
Top Bottom