883 harley | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

883 harley

sportster_zps3270d11b.jpg

There's also Harley's new liquid cooled 750cc bike. I think it has more power than a Sportster and it's a lot more modern, if that appeals to you. I would consider the new Indian Scout too, since it is a beautifully styled bike at a great price, plus it will attract attention everywere you go.

Hmmm ... so will the new (and super ugly IMO) 750 HDs, marketed as a starter bike by papa davidson, become the new 'girls' harley, allowing the sportster to man up?

Sportster is #1 cruiser bike in the UK sales (although only 70 sold).

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/bike-sales-boom-rolls-on/25688.html

It would not be hard for H-D to get serious power from that engine, but Harley has never cared about power, handling or brakes...they care about sales.

Free advice: if you are worried about the opinions of the opposite sex about what kind of bike you ride, avoid that type like the plague, because they are constantly on the upgrade and there is always another guy with a better bike or a more expensive car.

Im with the rest of the posters that say ride what you want and just enjoy whatever motorcycle you buy for what it is. There will always be somebody with a faster, bigger or more expensive bike so why view this as a competition. Motorcycling is only a fashion show if that's how you view it in your head. As for the Sportster 883, those jokes about it being a girls bike ("Chickster") are I think disappearing as the motorcycle industry and motorcyclists evolve, especially in North America. Just look at the increase in the number of small displacement bikes that are available today compared to that say 8 years ago. While many would consider a 250cc-500cc bike as a "beginner" bike and purely a stepping stone to something bigger, I think there are a lot of sensible riders that see the benefit of owning a smaller ride. Even for me, Ive ridden lots of big bikes and while I have to wipe my drool aftering looking at the 1290 Super Duke R, I am more interested in owning that KTM 390.

For you though at 6ft, 200lb, you might find the bike physically small but that's all relative depending on what you are use to. If you are use to small bikes then the Sportster won't feel small however if you are use to bigger Harleys (basically everything except sportsters and the new Street class) then the Sportster 883 will feel very small, cramped and narrow. When I first rode a Sportster, I didn't really think, wow this is a small bike, but now that I have spent a lot of time on Dyna's, Softails, Touring and VRODs, the Sportster feels very small and kinda cheap to me.

Last edited:
funny, I Google "boots" and all I get are images like this...

091015_top-5-boots.jpg

Google Gaiters and I get this...

or-exos-gaiters.jpg

you may need to use google.co.uk or google.co.nz or google.com.au

I had a conversation with a guy on an EX500 once that referred to Sportsters as girls bikes. Silly. I also regularly pass guys on Harleys that don't wave to me because I ride a rice burner. I just laugh at them all......why do so many people feel the need to hate?

I said this in another thread and everyone disagreed. It's like they dgaf cause I ride a metric cruiser. I still nod or wave. We're all riders, even if our bikes are built much better ?

Oh, and OP, about the 883 being a girl's bike? Dude, I ride a purple Shadow that was a girl's bike. Bike was lowered, perfect for my short legs. Purple? My favourite colour. Other people's opinions? DGAF. I like my bike and my kids do too, and that's all that matters. You get an 883, or an xs450, or a cbr 125, or a GoldWing it doesn't matter. Get what you want. If you need approval from someone else, there might be deeper issues that you need to address.
Keep is updated on what you get.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... so will the new (and super ugly IMO) 750 HDs, marketed as a starter bike by papa davidson, become the new 'girls' harley, allowing the sportster to man up?

Well, no. Most girls I know ride Japanese bikes, not Harleys. I suppose HD's new 500cc bike might bring more of them in, styling being a matter of taste, but I doubt it.

Harley. Definitely a woman's bike. That's why so many like them.
Pamela-Anderson-01001.jpg

Last edited:
If you need approval from someone else, there might be deeper issues that you need to address.
Keep is updated on what you get.

You want to change the course of humanity in one fell swoop with pop psychology jargon right here on GTAM? Also OP, do not keep us updated, I'm already sick to my stomach. There should be a NSFD (not safe for dinner) alert in thread title. And how about that beaver, eh?

You want to change the course of humanity in one fell swoop with pop psychology jargon right here on GTAM? Also OP, do not keep us updated, I'm already sick to my stomach. There should be a NSFD (not safe for dinner) alert in thread title. And how about that beaver, eh?

Ah, yes. Dinner at 3 pm... Thursday senior special?
Maybe your stomach ailments stem from all your meds, and not my do good-ery.
And thinking about that beaver will entice you to take your blue meds, so stop. Nobody wants to see that.

Ah, yes. Dinner at 3 pm... Thursday senior special?
Maybe your stomach ailments stem from all your meds, and not my do good-ery.
And thinking about that beaver will entice you to take your blue meds, so stop. Nobody wants to see that.

Off peak Blue Plate Special in these desperate times. Not your do good-ery (just words anyway) but the Sporty makes guts burn. Also rectum.

Well, no. Most girls I know ride Japanese bikes, not Harleys. I suppose HD's new 500cc bike might bring more of them in, styling being a matter of taste, but I doubt it.

Harley. Definitely a woman's bike. That's why so many like them.
Pamela-Anderson-01001.jpg

Stay classy mom.

Back
Top Bottom