Honda CBR 125R Or 250r? (NEW RIDER) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CBR 125R Or 250r? (NEW RIDER)

I am 15 at the moment and looking at getting a bike in the spring when my birthday comes. I was looking for a bike that wasn't expensive and reliable. I seen the Honda Cbr125R and for $2,000 brand new seemed like a really good deal. After watching videos and such I thought that's the one I would want. I am about 5'9 - 5'10 and weigh about 180 (estimate). I talked to someone on the street that had a bike and he suggested the 250r and said it would be better for my weight, he also suggested me to this website so here I am. I have a few questions. What bike is easier to learn on? What bike you think I should get? Average price of a 250r in good condition? Top speeds for both bikes? Average Insurance on the bike? (Brampton) Something like the 600rr is out of the question because I would only be 16 and wouldn't be able to afford it. Thank you everyone.

As a fellow young rider (17) I would suggest the 250r for a first bike. Yes I know, smaller is always better but after riding the CBR 125 there's no way I could have ridden that bike for more than a couple months. Things would get boring quickly. As far as cost, provided you've done the motorcycle safety course, both bikes should be very close in insurance rates. Obviously the upfront cost of the bike will be more expensive. I ride a 1983 Yamaha maxim 400 and from my standpoint it has the perfect balance of power and usability. Statistics like top speed should be your last priority.

The actual riding aspect was not difficult for me at all. Shifting, counter steering, slow speed maneuvers etc... Once you get out on to the main roads though its a whole other ball game.

definitely check out insurance...I just got a quote from TD for my fiancé's son...he is turning 16 in December and since both his dad and I ride, we thought we'd get him into it as well so he can join us...for a newer Honda CBR 250, the quote was $3100 for the year...on an older 500 (like an '08 ninja 500) the quote was $3600 for the year...both quotes were full coverage, with a G1 and M2 and he MUST take the course and the bike would be in my name on my policy...just some food for thought as the bike is the least expensive part of the equation, especially at your age...

Last edited:
Yeah that is true thank you!
definitely check out insurance...I just got a quote from TD for my fiancé's son...he is turning 16 in December and since both his dad and I ride, we thought we'd get him into a 250...for a Honda CBR 250, his insurance was $3100 for the year...on an older 500 (like a ninja 500) the rate was $3600 for the year...both quotes were with a G1 and M2 and he MUST take the course and the bike would be in my name on my policy...just some food for thought as the bike is the least expensive part of the equation, especially at your age...

At your age, check insurance costs before you think about any bike. The actual cost of the bike may be cheaper than one year of insurance. Your new to you bike should in general be less than 500cc, less than 50hp and less than 400 lb. Otherwise anything in this category should be Ok.

Warning: Insurance companies will discourage you from riding and charge you a lot of money for a year.

Just to add to the insurance cost, I'm with Aviva (through Paul South) and I pay $2000 for the year. Bike and Insurance are %100 under my name. If you have a job and are determined to ride it's definitely do able.

Depending on your confidence and ability, unless you're an absolute nOoB when it comes to a bike I'd suggest the 250R. It's got about twice the power and torque of the 125 and will not leave you wanting more a day after buying it. A week or a month, maybe, but not a day :)

Insurance, however, may push you to a 125. Check with your insurance company before making any plans.

Had a 250RA for my first back earlier this year, also take an approved motorcycle course. RTI has a good weekend course, will get you from your M1 to your M2 on the weekend. Teach your the basics, including emergency stops and helps on insurance.

Just on the tiny off chance you haven't already gotten the message yet, check insurance costs first before you spend a dime on anything.

get your m1, and m1 exit. then go from there. you'll be riding a cbr125 and if you feel that isn't enough power go bigger. Its always best to know how to ride a bicycle, and know how the gears on them work.

Welcome. In addition to insurance have you budgeted $450 for training and at least $500 for gear?

You have 50 years of riding ahead of you, there's no hurry. If you start on a rock solid 125 for the bargain price of $2,000 that would be an excellent introduction (and by all accounts they're a blast). You can concentrate on traffic rather than the bike. In some jurisdictions (e.g. UK) you're not even allowed to start on a 250cc, 125 is the max. However, freeways would be dicey on a 125, though you could do short trips at the right time of day to get a feel for it. A used 250r will run around $3,000.

Ride safe, and Enjoy!

I got myself a 250 Ninja which was a good start. You can find one for $3000ish. Was a good start for me to learn and I just started to ride not to long ago. The course was how I learned to ride and only wish I was on a bike many moons ago.

Watch a few YouTube videos and that will help you get an understanding on how to do some basic maintenance on your bike. This will help lower the overall cost of the bike down the road. AS mentioned above, make sure you have some cash to throw down on some gear. Nothing would be worse then getting yourself some new skin before you can buy beer to kill the pain.

You'll be able to find some good deals in the coming months on both bikes and gear. If you don't get gear until the winter, there is a show down in Toronto that might be a worth while stop for you. I think it's in Dec or Jan and it will have lots of gear. Lots of information can be found at the bike shows.

Welcome and see you out there!

worry about learning to ride before actually getting a bike. you may not find its for you. or you might fall deeper in love (like many of us on the forum have) then go from there.

as for 125 vs 250, only you can answer that question. But i will say this, both bikes are LEGALLY capable of riding on ontario roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would get m2, wait a few years and get a bike maybe in 3rd year just because insurance is so Damm high

Welcome. In addition to insurance have you budgeted $450 for training and at least $500 for gear?

You have 50 years of riding ahead of you, there's no hurry. If you start on a rock solid 125 for the bargain price of $2,000 that would be an excellent introduction (and by all accounts they're a blast). You can concentrate on traffic rather than the bike. In some jurisdictions (e.g. UK) you're not even allowed to start on a 250cc, 125 is the max. However, freeways would be dicey on a 125, though you could do short trips at the right time of day to get a feel for it. A used 250r will run around $3,000.

Ride safe, and Enjoy!

^ This would be my opinion as well.

By the time you get the bike you'll probably be over that 180 mark and at 5'10 you will be knocking your knees off the handle bars.

Get the 250.

Being in Brampton will hurt in insurance rates big time and adding to the fact that a new rider's premiums are high to begin with..

For a 600cc bike, I doubt you'll get any cheaper than $5000/year.

Back
Top Bottom