Honda CBR 125R Or 250r? (NEW RIDER) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CBR 125R Or 250r? (NEW RIDER)

Anyone who says you can't ride a 125 CBR for more then a month is ridiculous. You're 16, it will be a lot cheaper all around. You won't be able to do anything stupid on it (for the most part). I put 19,000km on a 125 in a season just commuting to work and I rode on the highway (although it's not a great bike for the hwys). I'm 23 and the insurance for a 125 is $150 a month. My R6 is $245 a month. The 250 will require more maintenance, oil filter and oil, unlike the CBR 125 due to it having an oil strainer (strainer is cleaned every 15,000km approximately) vs changing the oil filter every 5,000km. The oil for the 125 is $12 every 3,500 to 4,500 km. After that it starts to go bad. The tires are cheaper then the 250's and the Road Winner tires on the 125's last 15,000 to 20,000km. The bike will be cheaper then your insurance, the maintenance will cost you maximum $300 per season if you put 20,000 km on it. Great city bike, does 120km no problem (unless you're fat).

Is it super fun? No. Is it a motorcycle that gets you from point A to point B? Yes. Will you learn a lot? YES!

I'd suggest the 125 due to your age. You probably don't make a lot of money, nor can you probably afford insurance.

I've ridden a 250cc bike 3 times in my life, they sucked equally to the 125, but they can go a bit faster and are alright on the highway.

Last edited:
Was that last post supposed to say "can't ride a 125 more than a month is ridiculous"?.
Also, good deals at the motorcycle super show in January at the Int'l Centre. I plan on getting some new stuff myself.
And welcome to the forum.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Was that last post supposed to say "can't ride a 125 more than a month is ridiculous"?.
Also, good deals at the motorcycle super show in January at the Int'l Centre. I plan on getting some new stuff myself.
And welcome to the forum.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Yes, the auto correct monster bit me there. I meant "Can't" lol.

For your weight I would suggest the 250. I am about 190 and used to have fun blasting around in the city on my wife's 250 ninja before we sold it. I still miss that little bike

Make sure that you take a course before you get out on the road and get some good gear.

Take it from me road rash sucks, I was 16 couldn't afford a leather bike jacket and hit the pavement at 80 km/h wearing a hoodie. I have never been on a bike without being fully geared up ever since.

Last edited:
Anyone who says you can't ride a 125 CBR for more then a month is ridiculous. You're 16, it will be a lot cheaper all around. You won't be able to do anything stupid on it (for the most part). I put 19,000km on a 125 in a season just commuting to work and I rode on the highway (although it's not a great bike for the hwys). I'm 23 and the insurance for a 125 is $150 a month. My R6 is $245 a month. The 250 will require more maintenance, oil filter and oil, unlike the CBR 125 due to it having an oil strainer (strainer is cleaned every 15,000km approximately) vs changing the oil filter every 5,000km. The oil for the 125 is $12 every 3,500 to 4,500 km. After that it starts to go bad. The tires are cheaper then the 250's and the Road Winner tires on the 125's last 15,000 to 20,000km. The bike will be cheaper then your insurance, the maintenance will cost you maximum $300 per season if you put 20,000 km on it. Great city bike, does 120km no problem (unless you're fat).

Is it super fun? No. Is it a motorcycle that gets you from point A to point B? Yes. Will you learn a lot? YES!

I'd suggest the 125 due to your age. You probably don't make a lot of money, nor can you probably afford insurance.

I've ridden a 250cc bike 3 times in my life, they sucked equally to the 125, but they can go a bit faster and are alright on the highway.

Holy poop, is that $150/month for full coverage? Thats how much I was paying on my 2nd year riding with an at fault claim and ticket on my record (without collision)

I just turned 23, went insurance shopping and will be switching to TD MM this Feb - $91/mo Full coverage, 2M liability, 500 ded. for a ninja 300.

The CBR125 can hold 120km/h on the highway w/o tucking (assuming there aren't other factors like head wind), if you weigh around 140-150lbs. If you weigh more than that, I'd suggest opting in for the 250cc bikes.

Holy poop, is that $150/month for full coverage? Thats how much I was paying on my 2nd year riding with an at fault claim and ticket on my record (without collision)

I just turned 23, went insurance shopping and will be switching to TD MM this Feb - $91/mo Full coverage, 2M liability, 500 ded. for a ninja 300.

The CBR125 can hold 120km/h on the highway w/o tucking (assuming there aren't other factors like head wind), if you weigh around 140-150lbs. If you weigh more than that, I'd suggest opting in for the 250cc bikes.

I have a seat belt ticket and nothing else. I guess they just like to charge me more for the hell of it. So lameeeeee.

In my idea it would better to get the new cbr500r, it may cost more, but surely it would last longer before you would need an upgrade.

I'm 17 and got a 250cc. My own policy and payed for everything myself. 2009 hyosung gt250r these bikes don't look like ur average 250. They look like a 600. People say it's not a reliable bike but I've had no major problems and it depends on what year u buy and condition. Bought mine damaged and she still runs great.

Back
Top Bottom