Phone Blacklist | GTAMotorcycle.com

Phone Blacklist

daught

I am looking to purchase a second hand iPhone 5c. The new imei blacklist makes this quite risky. Even if I check the imei at protectyourdata.ca, the phone could have have just been lost, or the seller might stop paying his phone bill or they might declare it lost to claim their credit card insurance. Who knows what other scams are out there.

Any ideas on how to minimize risk?

Make sure it comes with oem charger and manuals for a start.

And get a bill of sale transferring it into your name.

Used to work for a telco and this problem did cross our department sometimes though it wasn't our responsibility, strictly speaking. In any case, you can still ask me about this.

Bill of sale might not help if it's personal. The original issuer might just cut it off for any of the reasons you listed and the telco will just dispute it ("We have no proof you didn't just print this off yourself, go deal with the guy you bought this from, it's your problem, bla bla bla"). If it's from a store, you might be on better ground, but they'll still just tell you to go deal with the store in all likelihood.

Blacklists tend to work only on a national level, not an international one, so you could buy used from outside Canada, but of course returning it is much more difficult if you get screwed that way. Best bet is to work out a more trustworthy seller, but that requires you to be pretty good at spotting those (lost of people will TELL you they're good at spotting a scammer, but...). Just buying something from Joe Rando on Kijiji is too risky now, which is of course what the telcos wanted.

If I was buying a new phone, I might try to get a good deal on an unlocked US-origin phone, probably one with Cyanaogen installed. But I'm not shopping around at the moment, so I'd have to do more to look into any new potential pitfalls of US-origin phones.

You can still get good deals, but you have to do a lot of research and be damn careful. The days of just grabbing an easy-sleazy phone off Craigslist or wherever are over.

Last edited:
I bought a brand new 5s in February from a Kijiji seller, he gave me the receipt, phone was still new in the box and got a great deal. It was replaced by Apple under warranty about a month ago, no complaints. You just have to be careful and use your best judgement.

stick your sim in. if it works. great. get them to turn off find my iphone. erase everything (factory reset) then your good.

or you know.. just buy one from a legitimate store (doesnt have to be telco, try a small cell store)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a brand new 5s in February from a Kijiji seller, he gave me the receipt, phone was still new in the box and got a great deal. It was replaced by Apple under warranty about a month ago, no complaints. You just have to be careful and use your best judgement.

That sounds good, though if the person you bought from got it on contract they could default on the contract and after a few months you'd find yourself with a locked phone. Luckily the receipt should show if the phone was paid for up front or not.

Back
Top Bottom