Relevant Kickstart Project - Cheap, transferrable Throttle Lock | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Relevant Kickstart Project - Cheap, transferrable Throttle Lock

Sorry but the $45 shipping will be your worst enemy in terms of selling this here. Im not a cheap person I spend a lot of money on high end parts, but I would never pay $45 US to ship something that fits in the smallest padded envelope. Weather its your fault or not, how can you expect someone to pay $45 to ship that little product, not to mention $45 US isn't $45 to us, its even more after the exchange rate...

Other then that it looks like a decent design, but honestly I have seen and worked on some bike with throttle locks that were around $20-50 that worked just fine. One brand I don't remember the name, but is almost identical to yours in form and function, thumb operated, universal, just way cheaper...If your product doesn't do anything better, I doubt you'll get many orders from Canadians at your pricing, for the product and especially not that retarded shipping price. Look at your competition, I see comparable product for $25 and $10 shipping at the most

And for the OP that "I forgot my account" story seems pretty weak, personally Im not buying it just like the product

Last edited:
again.... couple bucks, in stock at any hardware store less than $3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8M4991-CAT-O-Ring-Motorcycle-Throttle-Lock-Lot-of-10-/200361377798

997015775_c7eee0f827.jpg

For those of you who are hung up on the shipping price, here is what I wrote earlier on this thread:

"The ATLAS is currently selling for $69-$95, depending on how soon the early rider rate is still available. Quantities are limited. Anyways, the retail price will be around $135. Concerning the $45 Int'l Shipping rate, Kickstarter only allows me to choose one rate for the entire world.

This is crazy and impractical for products like mine, but this is how their technology works right now. The $45 covers shipping, tracking, insurance, customs fees and import taxes. It's still cheaper to buy the ATLAS with the Kickstarter price than to wait for the retail version. Most have simply paid the int'l shipping rate but the people with friends in the USA have decided to send their ATLAS to their friend's US address, then forward it listed as "used" or as a "gift"."

For those of you who don't like the price of the ATLAS, here is what I wrote earlier on this thread:

"
At the end of the day, there are many options out there, but IMHO, the ATLAS is a far superior throttle lock for many reasons. I have a Throttle Lock Comparison on the Kickstarter page."

If price is what you are worried about the most, there isn't anything I can do. This isn't a plastic or homemade part. I'm not offering a rubber o-ring, twisted wire with a tube or a plastic throttle lock. I understand there is a market for this, and I think that's great! Variety is the spice of life. But I created the exact throttle lock I wanted, not what 100% of the population wanted. I created the ATLAS after tens of thousands of miles on the road. I wanted something extremely simple to use, which made it complex inside, which in turn raised the price.

*Before I mention this, I want everyone to know I have a lot of respect for the go cruise developer, or anyone who has brought a product to market.*

I forgot to mention this before when we were talking about the go cruise. The biggest problem for me with this type of throttle lock is how annoying it can be to disengage the throttle lock. Watch their videos. You MUST roll the throttle forward to disengage the throttle lock, even before you can use your front brake lever! If you've never spent any real time on the road with throttle locks, this may seem like a mute point, but it's not. You must ALWAYS decelerate after using this type of throttle lock. The ATLAS does not suffer from this problem.

The ATLAS can be overridden to adjust cruising speed or slow down. In real riding situations, you will activate the ATLAS to rest your throttle hand or zip up your vents, then you will deactivate the ATLAS to continue riding. You will never have to change your speed when activating or deactivating the ATLAS. This is one of the main reasons I created my own throttle lock. I was tired of juggling between the clutch, coasting and decelerating. I just wanted to turn my throttle lock on or off without any change in speed.

If you want a smooth riding experience, or you ride in close groups and you don't want to decelerate into the person behind you, get the ATLAS. It is still cheaper to buy it through Kickstarter with int'l shipping than to pay retail next year.

If you have watched the Kickstarter video, I am only trying to purchase the tooling and pay for the production of the throttle locks that are ordered. I'm not making any profit on this. And I'm not complaining about this either, I am very grateful for websites like Kickstarter that help people like me. I am a regular guy, like most of you, and I don't have extra money laying around to afford
manufacturing these throttle locks and build a large inventory. Crowdfunding through preorders is the best solution for me. I'm sorry if you don't like crowdfunding. There are other throttle lock options under $30.

-David

Last edited:
JohnnyP636 - Maybe an admin can clarify this for you. "And for the OP that "I forgot my account" story seems pretty weak, personally Im not buying it..."

I don't know and have never met the OP. He was a backer and said he mentioned the ATLAS on this thread, so I came over to check it out. I can understand why you feel this way, so please contact an admin and have them look into it. One last thing, there is no point for me to fake an account on a non-USA motorcycle forum, or on any forum for that matter. But with a non-USA forum, I would have to be discussing the $45 shipping rate, which is so besides the point. I want to focus on the ATLAS. Sorry you feel deceived.

Please contact an admin and report back to us. I am a completely normal guy trying to bring this product to market. I have no reason to do something so tactless as fake an account.

-David

JohnnyP636 - Maybe an admin can clarify this for you. "And for the OP that "I forgot my account" story seems pretty weak, personally Im not buying it..."

I don't know and have never met the OP. He was a backer and said he mentioned the ATLAS on this thread, so I came over to check it out. I can understand why you feel this way, so please contact an admin and have them look into it. One last thing, there is no point for me to fake an account on a non-USA motorcycle forum, or on any forum for that matter. But with a non-USA forum, I would have to be discussing the $45 shipping rate, which is so besides the point. I want to focus on the ATLAS. Sorry you feel deceived.

Please contact an admin and report back to us. I am a completely normal guy trying to bring this product to market. I have no reason to do something so tactless as fake an account.

-David

Nobody said your account was fake, its just that me and other long time members on here feel the same as I do when someones first post is either to promote or review a product, service, or shop.....Its just the way it is, because many times in the past people have done the same on this site....I don't care enough to ask an admin about about it, I am just not personally buying that story, I never do, not from you or anyone else that does the same...

I wish them all the best with their product, but personally all I see is a redesigned wheel like many have said. Maybe if it was made of billet aluminum, or had some other features that other companies don't already have Id think you have something "new" or "special" but again all I see is another plastic throttle lock.....Not to mention I hope the production run looks a little cleaner, again for the price they are asking Id expect more

Listen, I'm not trying to get anyone riled up. I just want to bring a better motorcycle throttle lock to market. I can tell there is some pushback from some people, which is a bummer but I have received a lot of great feedback from other riders, and the Kickstarter backers are proving this point.

Nobody said your account was fake, its just that me and other long time members on here feel the same as I do when someones first post is either to promote or review a product, service, or shop.....Its just the way it is, because many times in the past people have done the same on this site....I don't care enough to ask an admin about about it, I am just not personally buying that story, I never do, not from you or anyone else that does the same...

You're not saying it's fake, you are implying it's fake, which is the same difference. And it's a copout to say you "don't care enough to ask an admin". As if your statement stands true, simply because you aren't interested in finding the facts.

...I wish them all the best with their product, but personally all I see is a redesigned wheel like many have said. Maybe if it was made of billet aluminum, or had some other features that other companies don't already have Id think you have something "new" or "special" but again all I see is another plastic throttle lock.....Not to mention I hope the production run looks a little cleaner, again for the price they are asking Id expect more

These are all personal, subjective comments. I have been trying to provide objective comments. Some from webBikeWorld and others from my competitor's own videos. If someone were to read this thread, they would see the same. And yes, the production run will look far better. That's the point of crowd-funding. The original ATLAS I used in all the photos and video was a working prototype. If you've never brought a product to market, I can see how you would be confused with this. Rest assured, the ATLAS will look much better than what you have seen in the pictures!

This will be the last post from me. I wish you all the best, get outside and explore the world with 2 wheels! Hopefully I'll meet some of you at a motorcycle event some day soon!

-David

For those of you who are hung up on the shipping price, here is what I wrote earlier on this thread:

If you have watched the Kickstarter video, I am only trying to purchase the tooling and pay for the production of the throttle locks that are ordered. I'm not making any profit on this. And I'm not complaining about this either, I am very grateful for websites like Kickstarter that help people like me. I am a regular guy, like most of you, and I don't have extra money laying around to afford
manufacturing these throttle locks and build a large inventory. Crowdfunding through preorders is the best solution for me. I'm sorry if you don't like crowdfunding. There are other throttle lock options under $30.

-David

The red flag goes off when you say you're not making any profit on this endeavor. So you're saying the final cost is $135 USD? If that's the case, you would be losing on every single kickstarter pre-order. If the cost is $69 than every sell at $135 is $66. I don't have a problem with you making money, just keep it real.

Thread went downhill fast. Although shrill OP's tend to cause this.

If you've never brought a product to market, I can see how you would be confused with this.
-David

Just an FYI because it seems that maybe you think I work at McDonalds or something, when actually I work for my family business which is a custom manufacturing business here in the GTA. Started by my father with his own money, and has grown to very successful business over 30+ years of working hard. Call me old fashioned but my dad took his idea, worked like an average person and saved up his own money to start what is now a successful business. He then took his savings to a bank as a down payment and pitched his idea to them to get financing on machinery, material, etc etc. 30 years later we own over 1.5 million dollars in state of the art CNC machines and other machinery. This "crowd-funding" thing is new to me, but Im not confused, its pretty clear reading the link that you have an idea, but you need $11,200 to make it happen, and you either don't have or want to risk your own $11.200. So again maybe Im just old fashioned because of how I was brought up, but personally I believe that if you are so passionate about your idea, then invest your money. If its as great as you say it "will be" then put your money and faith in it. If you don't have it, save it up...

Again good luck

And as far as the fake account, since I can see how you might be confused. Heres how it works, you get your "buddy" to sign up on random sites as a new member promoting your product, but saying he has no connection or personal interest with you or the company. Even if thats not what is happening here, that is what it looks like, because like I said many people have done the same already on this very site....It is what it is

Last edited:
Just an FYI because it seems that maybe you think I work at McDonalds or something, when actually I work for my family business which is a custom manufacturing business here in the GTA. Started by my father with his own money, and has grown to very successful business over 30+ years of working hard. Call me old fashioned but my dad took his idea, worked like an average person and saved up his own money to start what is now a successful business. He then took his savings to a bank as a down payment and pitched his idea to them to get financing on machinery, material, etc etc. 30 years later we own over 1.5 million dollars in state of the art CNC machines and other machinery. This "crowd-funding" thing is new to me, but Im not confused, its pretty clear reading the link that you have an idea, but you need $11,200 to make it happen, and you either don't have or want to risk your own $11.200. So again maybe Im just old fashioned because of how I was brought up, but personally I believe that if you are so passionate about your idea, then invest your money. If its as great as you say it "will be" then put your money and faith in it. If you don't have it, save it up...

Again good luck

And as far as the fake account, since I can see how you might be confused. Heres how it works, you get your "buddy" to sign up on random sites as a new member promoting your product, but saying he has no connection or personal interest with you or the company. Even if thats not what is happening here, that is what it looks like, because like I said many people have done the same already on this very site....It is what it is

Very well said Johnny!

OP, there's only one project that I've helped fund on kickstarter and it was for a follow focus on a DSLR. Most follow focuses are expensive as ****, this one was awesome and only $50 with shipping!!

How are you going to make a product, that sells variations of it for super cheap and then try to sell it for $135? Kind of the opposite of what you should be doing.

This reminds me of the latest South Park episode on crowd funding.

Again good luck

Well said...

*Before I mention this, I want everyone to know I have a lot of respect for the go cruise developer, or anyone who has brought a product to market.*

I forgot to mention this before when we were talking about the go cruise. The biggest problem for me with this type of throttle lock is how annoying it can be to disengage the throttle lock. Watch their videos. You MUST roll the throttle forward to disengage the throttle lock, even before you can use your front brake lever! If you've never spent any real time on the road with throttle locks, this may seem like a mute point, but it's not. You must ALWAYS decelerate after using this type of throttle lock. The ATLAS does not suffer from this problem.

The ATLAS can be overridden to adjust cruising speed or slow down. In real riding situations, you will activate the ATLAS to rest your throttle hand or zip up your vents, then you will deactivate the ATLAS to continue riding. You will never have to change your speed when activating or deactivating the ATLAS. This is one of the main reasons I created my own throttle lock. I was tired of juggling between the clutch, coasting and decelerating. I just wanted to turn my throttle lock on or off without any change in speed.

If you want a smooth riding experience, or you ride in close groups and you don't want to decelerate into the person behind you, get the ATLAS. It is still cheaper to buy it through Kickstarter with int'l shipping than to pay retail next year.

-David

The other day I picked up another Go Cruise. Apparently they have slightly changed the design and it now fits tighter, hence slips less or not at all.

For $20, it is the way to go. I have no problem with slippage at all, and as you said, I only have the cruise on for a minute or two at a time to rest my hand or to zip up a vent. I never bothered with the little o-ring they provide... just the go cruise itself and it works perfectly.

I also have no issues with rolling off the throttle with the go cruise. Once again, my hand is never off the bar long, and as soon as it is on the bar the go cruise is loose enough that rolling off is really not an issue what-so-ever.

I've also noticed that the OP, who may or not be you or a buddy trying to tout your product, still only has one post -- the one advertising this campaign. Looks fishy.

Anyway, at that price point I'm out. I could buy 7 go cruises for the price of one of your things.

The other day I picked up another Go Cruise. Apparently they have slightly changed the design and it now fits tighter, hence slips less or not at all.

For $20, it is the way to go. I have no problem with slippage at all, and as you said, I only have the cruise on for a minute or two at a time to rest my hand or to zip up a vent. I never bothered with the little o-ring they provide... just the go cruise itself and it works perfectly.

I also have no issues with rolling off the throttle with the go cruise. Once again, my hand is never off the bar long, and as soon as it is on the bar the go cruise is loose enough that rolling off is really not an issue what-so-ever.

I've also noticed that the OP, who may or not be you or a buddy trying to tout your product, still only has one post -- the one advertising this campaign. Looks fishy.

Anyway, at that price point I'm out. I could buy 7 go cruises for the price of one of your things.

Where did you get the Go Cruise? I was thinking of the Vista Cruise.... Currently $40.

Looks like it would work just as well as the $20 one I got. It doesn't slip on my bike. Used it for two 5 hour rides. Only problem was wind and hills and this kickstarter would have the same problems.

Now that I think about it, where the heck did I leave that thing? lol

Back
Top Bottom