Relevant Kickstart Project - Cheap, transferrable Throttle Lock | GTAMotorcycle.com

Relevant Kickstart Project - Cheap, transferrable Throttle Lock

Shryke

Hey folks,

Heh, I had to register a whole new account for this as I couldn't find my old one :)

*Disclaimer* I am not related to this project in any way, other than I'm a backer and I want one of these things! Like all things Kickstarter, it doesn't happen if not enough people 'invest' (buy one before they're made), so I'm promoting the thing here hoping others will also think it's a fantastic idea. I've done Kickstarter several times (I think this is my 8th product?) and so far have not been disappointed.

The website for the "ATLAS Throttle Lock Cruise Control" : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1830026006/atlas-throttle-lock-a-universal-motorcycle-cruise

My personal summary: An actual long-distance rider came up with an ingenious, cheap, moveable from bike-to-bike, very small footprint, non-bike specific, trigger-activated Throttle Lock. Simply put, without much shuffling of things on my bars (if any) I can finally have something that lets me rest my throttle-hand without paying an arm and a leg for it. Even with the (rather high) shipping cost to Canada, it's cheaper than existing ones especially when you include the fact that I can move it across bikes (I don't lose it when I replace my current Versys 650). Finally, if for whatever reason it DOESN'T fit your bike, they have guaranteed your money back. That's actually a new one on me for Kickstarter, but to be fair, when you look at the thing you'll realize how low a risk this guarantee is for them.

Anyway, please judge for yourself. Watch the video, and/or read the product details. There's 30+ days for the project to complete so I don't HAVE to depend on you guys, but every little bit helps! :)

Thanks for listening!

How is this much different/better than the old vista cruise (for $20)? They are similar in size and function. The only major benefit of Atlas is that it is universal and there are 2 or 3 sizes of vista cruise, but who cares? Spending $20 on cruise for a new bike is fine with me.

Sadly I think this is another kickstarter project that is not viable.

Hey guys, I'm the developer of the ATLAS Throttle Lock. Shryke mentioned he had posted a thread about the ATLAS here and I wanted to check it out! Thanks Shryke!!

There have been some very valid points made. Hopefully I can bring some more food for thought.

Chasem - The ATLAS is currently selling for $69-$95, depending on how soon the early rider rate is still available. Quantities are limited. Anyways, the retail price will be around $135. Concerning the $45 Int'l Shipping rate, Kickstarter only allows me to choose one rate for the entire world.

This is crazy and impractical for products like mine, but this is how their technology works right now. The $45 covers shipping, tracking, insurance, customs fees and import taxes. It's still cheaper to buy the ATLAS with the Kickstarter price than to wait for the retail version. Most have simply paid the int'l shipping rate but the people with friends in the USA have decided to send their ATLAS to their friend's US address, then forward it listed as "used" or as a "gift".

GreyGhost - At first glance, the ATLAS my look similar to the Vista, but the ATLAS is a completely different beast. Here's a quick breakdown:
- the ATLAS will retail around $135 vs the Vista at $29.95 (throttle meister, kaoko and breakaway are all $135 to $220 or more)
- the ATLAS is laser cut then machined vs the Vista is made of plastic (Whether you want a plastic or machined metal part is completely subjective.)
- the ATLAS is a simple push button, similar to a retractable click pen vs the Vista is a cam-style lever
- the ATLAS is almost fully hidden and out of the way vs the Vista needs to bolt into your throttle housing or mount to your handlebars, then reach across your button controls to cover up a decent portion of your grip
- the ATLAS has a much more OEM look vs the Vistas plastic lever and body (This is subjective.)

At the end of the day, there are many options out there, but IMHO, the ATLAS is a far superior throttle lock for many reasons. I have a Throttle Lock Comparison on the Kickstarter page.

Hopefully this will bring more clarity of how the ATLAS is different. Kickstarter is an interesting idea and a very viable way to bring a product to market for people like me.

Please post any other questions you have. You can also ask them on the Kickstarter page for others to see.

Thanks!
-David

I use one of the following:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/go-cruise-throttle-control/

It's simple, cheap and transferable.
Got one locally from GPbikes for less than $20.
Also seen them at Corsameccanica.

But if you want a more expensive complicated solution then kickstart away.

Me too. I had a throttlemeister before and this little $20 gadget works perfectly. Sorry, op but unless the Atlas costs $20 I don't see any reason to buy one.

That $20 unit is definitely an option to consider, but if you read the bottom of the review from webBikeWorld, you might reconsider.

He was having problems with the unit "slipping", which defeats the whole purpose of a throttle lock.

You will have to remove your hand guards to install the silicone rubber band.

For those of us who ride on thumpers, the reviewer says, "Using the included silicone ring does help, but sometimes the GoCruise slips a little bit anyway. Engine vibration is also a factor, as the vibes making their way to the handlebars can make this worse."

The reviewer was having trouble with using it on his heated grips, "..., I have a set of Oxford heated grips on my Suzuki SV650 and, as it turns out, these have both a good and a bad side effect when using the Go Cruise. On the plus side, the heated rips are a little larger in diameter than standard grips, and this helps ensure that the throttle lock has sufficient pressure on the grip. On the negative side though, the rubber surface of the heated grip is harder than average. As such, the Go Cruise doesn’t grip as well on the smooth, hard surface."

Bikes are almost as unique as people, so I'm not trying to knock this type of throttle lock. I'm just trying to put all relevant information in front of you guys so you can make your own decision. I, for one, wanted a bolt on solution that couldn't be plucked off of my throttle in a public parking lot. This unit could slowly wear out from each and every time your remove it from your throttle.

-David

Thanks for coming in and discussing your Kickstarter. From what I have seen, this ThrottleLock looks quite good. Unfortunately $45 USD for shipping feels like complete highway robbery (I know this is not your fault, and I'm sorry for this). I would have considered it otherwise. I am not going to use a 3rd party border shipping service to get something small like this.

Shipping between Canada and US is a complete joke. I recently ordered several items from Japan and China.... Shipping was no more than $5. Speaking of which, just ordered a pile of stuff from Amazon...... $3.

Considering the size and weight, I would suggest trying to get alternative shipping means. Can't you increase the price slightly and include shipping? It literally costs me $9.95-$14 to ship a box anywhere in North America that could probably fit 10 of your throttle locks. Mind you its a corporate Canada Post account.... but still.

*rant over*

Hey guys, I'm the developer of the ATLAS Throttle Lock. Shryke mentioned he had posted a thread about the ATLAS here and I wanted to check it out! Thanks Shryke!!

There have been some very valid points made. Hopefully I can bring some more food for thought.

Chasem - The ATLAS is currently selling for $69-$95, depending on how soon the early rider rate is still available. Quantities are limited. Anyways, the retail price will be around $135. Concerning the $45 Int'l Shipping rate, Kickstarter only allows me to choose one rate for the entire world.

This is crazy and impractical for products like mine, but this is how their technology works right now. The $45 covers shipping, tracking, insurance, customs fees and import taxes. It's still cheaper to buy the ATLAS with the Kickstarter price than to wait for the retail version. Most have simply paid the int'l shipping rate but the people with friends in the USA have decided to send their ATLAS to their friend's US address, then forward it listed as "used" or as a "gift".

GreyGhost - At first glance, the ATLAS my look similar to the Vista, but the ATLAS is a completely different beast. Here's a quick breakdown:
- the ATLAS will retail around $135 vs the Vista at $29.95 (throttle meister, kaoko and breakaway are all $135 to $220 or more)
- the ATLAS is laser cut then machined vs the Vista is made of plastic (Whether you want a plastic or machined metal part is completely subjective.)
- the ATLAS is a simple push button, similar to a retractable click pen vs the Vista is a cam-style lever
- the ATLAS is almost fully hidden and out of the way vs the Vista needs to bolt into your throttle housing or mount to your handlebars, then reach across your button controls to cover up a decent portion of your grip
- the ATLAS has a much more OEM look vs the Vistas plastic lever and body (This is subjective.)

At the end of the day, there are many options out there, but IMHO, the ATLAS is a far superior throttle lock for many reasons. I have a Throttle Lock Comparison on the Kickstarter page.

Hopefully this will bring more clarity of how the ATLAS is different. Kickstarter is an interesting idea and a very viable way to bring a product to market for people like me.

Please post any other questions you have. You can also ask them on the Kickstarter page for others to see.

Thanks!
-David

Chasem, I agree 100%. I really wish there was something I could do. I'll let kickstarter know what's going on, but it's the guys at customs that scare me the most. I have worked for may companies that ship products up to Canada and it always comes down to how everyone in the shipping company and on both boarders are feeling for the day. Power trips, paperwork, stories and approaching weekends all play into the process.

Are you sure you don't have some long lost relative living in the US??? Anyone? I have had multiple int'l buyers set up shipping to their friends in the US. I have no problem with it, and I ship to all US address for free.

-David

Not knocking your product but I've had the friction device on two bikes both with heated grips and my current one with hand guards, installation was a breeze seriously. It hasn't slipped whenever I've used it. Before this I had a very expensive throttlemeister which was a mechanical marvel, but no better at all than the cheap gizmo I have now and I prefer the plastic friction device for operation to be honest. This is what you're competing with. Good luck though.

If it were $20-30 I'd consider it. At this price point and crazy shipping, I'll stay away and so will most people. I rarely ever feel the need to use a throttle lock so for me it's a non-essential item. It is true that some plastic ones are inferior. Mine's slipping for example, however there's no way I'm shelling this kind of money.

I concur with the cost analysis - far too much a reinvented wheel.

As for slipping on a Vista Cruise - it's not adjusted right and I want a degree of slip. I move the throttle with the lock on all the time.

While I like the idea - I really think the price point is going to sink this effort. Maybe up to $40. What are production costs - Last I checked a pen can be purchased for under a dollar - and this has essentially the same tech? I have to think that the profit margin on $139 is HUGE! Sorry, to be a pesimist, but I don't see this one getting off the ground.

For $20 I'd rather readjust it every few mins.

Chasem, I agree 100%. I really wish there was something I could do. I'll let kickstarter know what's going on, but it's the guys at customs that scare me the most. I have worked for may companies that ship products up to Canada and it always comes down to how everyone in the shipping company and on both boarders are feeling for the day. Power trips, paperwork, stories and approaching weekends all play into the process.

Are you sure you don't have some long lost relative living in the US??? Anyone? I have had multiple int'l buyers set up shipping to their friends in the US. I have no problem with it, and I ship to all US address for free.

-David

Why don't you be the "long lost relative" and ship it out to canada as a "gift"? If the shipping charges are a problem with kickstarter, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems there's a few ways around it. Have people buy it and ship to you and you can ship out at your own, significantly lower rate.

Back
Top Bottom