Your First Motorcycle Track Day and What to Expect | GTAMotorcycle.com

Your First Motorcycle Track Day and What to Expect

ebf

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share this article for anyone who hasn't done a track day before and what to expect.

----

Taking your motorcycle to a track day is a great way to not only test out the true capabilities of your machine in a safe environment, but to also improve your skills on a bike - skills that will translate to the road as well. There's a lot to take in though. Riding at speeds that would get you locked up if you tried them on the road are the norm and that's just in the straights. It's going fast through the corners that provides the real exhilaration, leaning over while the bitumen below races by. And whether you've been riding a motorcycle for 1 year or 10, whether you've got a cruiser or a sportsbike or whether you intend one day to actually race, we've written down what to expect at your first motorcycle track day.

Nerves

If you’re a normal person, you’ll get nervous. The prospect of hitting speeds double what you experience on the streets is enough to get you thinking about your own mortality. But think about it this way, you’re much safer going 120mph in an environment like a track with large amounts of runoff and open spaces as opposed to going 60mph on the road with trees, street poles and cars all around.

But nerves are good. It’s an instinctual part of being human that keeps you safe. It stops you from doing stupid things, so listen to your body. Your bike may be capable of going 100mph around turn 4, but if only feel comfortable at 60mph, then do that. Don’t push yourself early on.

Dehydration

Even if you're riding in the colder months, you will sweat inside full leathers. And in the hotter months the amount you perspire will increase dramatically. Compared to any other sport, motorcyclists are at greatest risk for dehydration due to the fact you’ve effectively got a microclimate inside your leathers where it’s difficult for heat to escape.

Dehydration can cause general weakness, muscle cramps, and loss of concentration – all not good things if you’re preparing to brake at the end of a straight in sixth gear. Every time you finish a session, drink a good amount of water, no exceptions. It's a common occurrence that at your first motorcycle track day you may get dehydrated if you don't take proper care.

Fatigue

Even if you do keep up your water intake, fatigue is going to be a factor after a day of riding at your limits. If you’re hanging off your bike and moving side to side by putting weight through the pegs, your leg muscles will get a work out. Even your right hand will begin to cramp from twisting the throttle and pulling in the brake lever.

Seeing as you probably won’t be visiting the track regularly, the best way to overcome this is general fitness. Try exercises using your legs, hand and wrists. Riding a bicycle is actually a great way to improve your fitness for motorcycle riding. For your hands, a simple ball you can squeeze will do wonders to prevent hand cramps.

0C3A9828-450x300.jpg

Other Riders Will Be Much, Much Better Than You

At any track day there will be a vast range of abilities on show. Some will be at their first track day too, others will be semi-professionals with decades of experience. And they will be very good, but don’t compare. In fact, comparing yourself and trying to keep up is the worst thing you can do. At all times you should ride within your comfort zone. If a young kid on his Ninja 300 blasts past you on the outside of a turn while you’re on your Yamaha R6, don’t worry.

For all you know, he could be running on slicks as opposed to street tires and have a custom suspension set up. And that’s in addition to potentially more experience than yourself. So don’t try to keep up – run your own race so to speak – you’ll get quicker over time.

Progress

As just stated, you’ll get quicker over time. If you have the ability to time your laps (or the track provides such an service) you’ll find that you’ll take massive chunks of time off your afternoon laps in comparison to your morning ones. Don't use your first motorcycle track day as a barometer of your ability. Motorcycle riding is a sport and in any sport, practice results in improvement.

If you have a GPS timer on your bike or if you haven’t taped up your speedometer, you’ll probably see that the speeds you’re taking into and out of corners increases dramatically during the course of the day. And that improvement will happen every time you visit the track.
Added to this, you’ll probably start to brake later into the corners too. If you can work on your body position, you’ll start to hang off the bike more which creates less lean angle, which assists with faster speed in the turns.

If you really want to see how much you’re progressing, pick one or two corners on the track that you feel comfortable with and try to really focus on braking later in to them and getting back on the throttle sooner. After a few laps you’ll probably surprise yourself how much quicker you can be in them.

0C3A9909-2-450x306.jpg

Comradery

If you’ve got an interest in motorcycles, then you’ve instantly got something in common with the people either side of you in the pits. And it doesn’t matter if the person next to you is on their first or their hundredth track day, they’ll be more than happy to speak to you.

If it’s also their first track day, then you can swap stories about how you’re going. If it’s their hundredth track day, ask as many questions as you can because they’ll be more than happy to divulge whatever knowledge they have.

It’s a cliché, but if you’re open to it, you’ll make friends just as easily here as anywhere else.

0C3A0272-450x300.jpg

Fun

In addition to wanting to improve your ridecraft, having fun is probably the most important thing to get out of a track day. Yes, you’ll get hot, yes, your muscles will get sore and to start off with you’ll probably be pretty nervous. But after your first session, you’ll end up having a grin as wide as your face. If you think riding a motorcycle on regular roads is like a fun, wait until you do your first motorcycle track day..

Just make sure your bank balance can handle your new found addiction.

Thanks for a great post! Hopefully next year I'll get my first track day in. It's something that I'm definitely nervous about. The more information I can gather beforehand, the better off I think I'll be. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

This is already a sticky. But thanks i guess

This is kind of dangerous:

"If it’s also their first track day, then you can swap stories about how you’re going. If it’s their hundredth track day, ask as many questions as you can because they’ll be more than happy to divulge whatever knowledge they have."

A good or fast rider does not necessarily know how to properly convey information to a new rider, as a matter of fact it can provide too much information hindering the new riders ability to work on "his/her needs".

Picking and choosing who to get instruction from is key. Staying away from the guy with the naked R1 is also key ;)

Last edited:
^Are people still hating on Jamie? That's soooo 2012... are we going to start talking about tow truck drivers as well?

^Are people still hating on Jamie? That's soooo 2012... are we going to start talking about tow truck drivers as well?
Jamie and I have been ******** on each other since 2008, he can take it and I can take it and at this point is just for fun, relax.

Hey Guys, if your bike has a centre stand, do you have to remove it for a track day? Also, how do you keep the bike upright when parked at the track day? I know you need to tie up the side stand, are you able to cut the zip tie and re-tie it each time, or do you need to invest in a wheel chock?

Most people use paddock stands. A wheel chock would be another way to do it. Cutting and re-attaching a zip tie ... I've seen it done. Another method is to use a triangular stand with a tube that fits over a footpeg or a post that goes into a hollow axle like this http://www.jcmotors.com/images/Product/medium/JCM-D36-39-0XX_3_.jpg

No idea on the center stand ... not many bikes at track days have one. I suppose you could tie it up the same as for the side stand. On roadrace bikes, center and side stands have to be removed completely.

I just had my first track day at TMP this Sept. And what a blast it was! I have to admit, I was a bit nervous going in as my experienced buddies were giving me all sorts of things to think about...
despite busting a reed, literally on the 2nd lap of the day, rendering my bike pretty friggen useless off the pipe, it was probably the most fun I've ever had on a street bike!
We weren't supposed to pass on corners or anywhere on the infield which makes it a bit safer for the newbie. Vintage Trackdays was the organizer of the event, they ran a tight ship, a very well organized event.
Here is a video of my experience... Fairly slow moving traffic until 6 minutes in... Then only slightly faster slow moving traffic! Lol

http://youtu.be/LAF3RmQzsa8

Hey Guys, if your bike has a centre stand, do you have to remove it for a track day? Also, how do you keep the bike upright when parked at the track day? I know you need to tie up the side stand, are you able to cut the zip tie and re-tie it each time, or do you need to invest in a wheel chock?
A friend of mine and member here "AC" makes and sells these - The most useful thing i bring to the track.

I use it to take the bike to tech - unloading the bike alone, after the day is over no need to put it on stands, when I am alone at the track I put it on when i come in from a session to get off the bike and then put the stands on... etc...
10325575_708997952474737_2537125205531429315_n.jpg

10369602_10152036533736191_6403775760018493227_n.jpg

Last edited:
Check to see if the foot piece on the centre stand is going to hit the ground at full lean. Do this by placing a piece of plywood up to your tires then tilt the plywood up. Leaving one side against your tires and the ground. Normally the first thing to contact the plywood which is representing the pavement at lean is the centre stand foot bob. If that's the case remove stand or cut foot bob off.

I was told the side and center stand could be left in place as long as they are tie wrapped up to the frame but as said, best to remove them. Heck, I removed my center stand for the same reason for street riding!
It only takes 1 touch down to get a major pucker factor happening! Lol

I was told the side and center stand could be left in place as long as they are tie wrapped up to the frame but as said, best to remove them. Heck, I removed my center stand for the same reason for street riding!

There's more than you to consider. Some years ago at Grattan an incident was related to me, where a rider's bike somehow ended up impaling another rider on the kickstand. Turds occur. That's why MCADX track events have always been no-kickstand-no-exceptions.

It only takes 1 touch down to get a major pucker factor happening! Lol
Also not all track providers require you to tie your kick stand up. So if no stands and no hassle. Ride with a provider that let's you use your kick stand, pro 6, riders choice,etc.

Back
Top Bottom