zx7r ignition switch/Cylinder Swap | GTAMotorcycle.com

zx7r ignition switch/Cylinder Swap

taxnatural

Hi Guys, I picked up a new ignition switch and I'm wondering if its easy to swap, and if its something I can do with my normal tools?

Hi Guys, I picked up a new ignition switch and I'm wondering if its easy to swap, and if its something I can do with my normal tools?

Modern Kawasaki's usually has safety type bolts that hold the ignition to the triple clamp. Which is basally a bolt where once it reaches a certain torque the head of the bolt shears off, leaving you nothing to grab onto to remove them, this is at the factory when they install it. This required you to drill them out, then you will have to replace them with a regular bolt, or a safety type fastener if you are worried about someone tampering with them in the future...Easy for me, but I have seen people struggle with them butchering up the ignition trying to drill them out...

Otherwise it may just be a regular torx or safety torx bolt like the Suzukis use

Either way there are 2 bolts holding it to the triple clamp and one connector usually located under the tank/airbox

Google search shows a reverse torx, most people do not have that kind of tool in their tool box. Also there is usually a ton of lock tite, which will generally cause you to strip them before they come loose...So again this leads to drilling the heads off to get the igntion off, then grabbing the remainder of the bolt with a vise or vise grip to get them out of the triple
Ignitionswitch1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom