Royal Distributing vs GP Bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Royal Distributing vs GP Bikes

A little while ago when I decided to start riding I went looking for gear. I, personally, am of the mindset that by buying top of the line gear will not only keep me safe but ensure that I don't give up. Great gear is an investment and great gear costs money.

That being said, a lot of friends of mine told me to check out GP, telling me of their great selection and awesome customer service. I searched online, jotted down product names and made the drive out to the Whitby, decked out in a black tshirt, jays cap (backwards) and a pair of khaki cargo shorts, I make my way into the front entrance armed with my list of items. I'm met with open arms?? Not quite...

Blank stares, cold service and a side of "oh that equipment is only on our website. We don't actually carry it." Needless to say I left.

Drove the half block to Royal Distributing and walked in. I was met by happy sales reps, helpful, while a little odd, extraordinarilly helpful. "What are you looking for in a helmet?" Ummm safety, keeping my cpu in one piece would be nice lol. I must have flip dlopped between 3 different helmets and they didn't flinch even though they had already brought them to the cashier. They took time to explain safety features, ratings, prices etc.

Why am I writing this? I'm a new rider. So new in fact that I don't even have a bike yet. Everyone I know hyped up GP because thats their place without seeing anything else to compare. To everyone on here, new or experienced, check out Royal Distributing. A half-a-block will make a world of difference.

Cheers

1. GP has better and higher quality and larger selection of product, especially in store
2. they dont bum rush u at the door. they let u browse and blow a whole afternoon there.
3. when u ask for their assistance they excel. not taking anything away from Royal
4. ur new to all this. u'll come around

they have let me test ride bikes while i wait for service on my bike. it's a two way street with any relationship and money isn't the only thing that talks with GP. Money to spend doesn't make u a great customer.

I think we all start at royal ;-)

Personally more a fan of GP Bikes over Royal, although I will admit service at GP depends on what CSR you end up dealing with. Typically I try to find one of the older guys/non-kids if I actually want an opinion on something, or find someone who recognizes me if I am trying to cut a bit of a deal (if I am ordering a bunch of things).

Royal is a sure shot bet...GP has bad and 1 good for me for now....

I've been shopping at both stores since Royal was only in the west end and GP was in Ajax. I can't say I've once had a bad experience with either location. GP has things Royal doesn't and vice versa. Gp has gone out of their way to make sure I had what I needed on time to ride which meant taking parts off an expensive helmet even though it was the supplier that screwed up. They call me back when my parts arrive and their prices aren't outrageous. Royal has a very large selection and just when I think something will need to be ordered the parts guy pops out from the back with it in his hand.

Trying to have either company loose business because you weren't given a party at the front door or the employees were busy and couldn't give you 45min of their time to help you choose a pair of gloves (hypothetical situation) is a jerk move. There's so few brick and mortar locations that have a selection like these places that we should ALL be grateful that they exist.

Trying to have either company loose business because you weren't given a party at the front door or the employees were busy and couldn't give you 45min of their time to help you choose a pair of gloves (hypothetical situation) is a jerk move. There's so few brick and mortar locations that have a selection like these places that we should ALL be grateful that they exist.

you drive in from a far away place just to be turned off by a guy who didn't spend 45 mins of his time to get you a pair of gloves that you've been eyeing for a while is a big deal to many!

...don't get me wrong, I'm saying this in general for any business...we have a timmies at every other stop light yet b*itch when the girl forgets to put sprnkles on our donuts!

I am grateful they are both there however GP lost a lot of my respect and I often pass by without going in due to a bad experience I had.

I went into the store and was looking around at the many bikes they had in the store when a sales person who was helping someone with a bike turned suddenly and walked straight into me. I wasn't offended by this until he put his hand up across my chest and basically cleared me out of the way without a sorry or a second thought.

I get it. I look young and he was trying to make a sale but i just can't believe I didn't get a sorry which is human decentcy ...

I don't care much for sales people and I do not expect pampering. Royal does not have choice. Most of the space is dedicated to non motorcycle items. What space they have is basically extremely limited choice of items in all possible sizes, I looked at rain gear the other day. It was about 4 different items covering 6 meters of retail space. As for expecting online items to be in the store, try that with Royal. they have million of items straight out of wholesale catalogs. It is not reasonable to expect that everything will be in stock.
Advantage of Royal is accessible pricing. Advantage of GP is they have almost everything and some of it costs more than rest. It is definitely good to have them both but I think they target very different market segments...

I've been shopping at both stores since Royal was only in the west end and GP was in Ajax. I can't say I've once had a bad experience with either location. GP has things Royal doesn't and vice versa. Gp has gone out of their way to make sure I had what I needed on time to ride which meant taking parts off an expensive helmet even though it was the supplier that screwed up. They call me back when my parts arrive and their prices aren't outrageous. Royal has a very large selection and just when I think something will need to be ordered the parts guy pops out from the back with it in his hand.

Whoa whoa whoa...its not my intention to cause GP to lose business. I was describing my experience. Perhaps I caught a csr on a bad day and royal's csr was having a good one. Whatever the case may be, I'm not gonna lie about MY experience. I love the fact that there are brick and mortar places to go and visit and shop at. I know that as a noob, like I am, I hear everyone speak so highly of GP, but I had a different experience. I'm not trying to take food out of anyone's mouth.

i wish GP had a loyalty program. i think ive bought more stuff from them than other places combined... mostly online though. great prices, selection, fast and free (over $99) shipping. the few times ive been there, people were good... typical sales staff like anywhere, some good some bad. im glad royal is there too, i think the 2 places help each other out.

you drive in from a far away place just to be turned off by a guy who didn't spend 45 mins of his time to get you a pair of gloves that you've been eyeing for a while is a big deal to many!

...don't get me wrong, I'm saying this in general for any business...we have a timmies at every other stop light yet b*itch when the girl forgets to put sprnkles on our donuts!

If I drove from a distance to browse/purchase gear, as long as they have my size and the price is reasonable I'm happy. I just think some people expect too much because let's face it, gear isn't cheap and some people seem to think they need a red carpet when they're spending a good amount of money.

I just spent $1200 on a new suit and when I walked into the store I wasn't met with the biggest smile, the marching band was off that day, and I had to wait 10-15min before someone was able to help me. They knew what I was there for but they were busy and only had so many sales staff available.

Whoa whoa whoa...its not my intention to cause GP to lose business. I was describing my experience. Perhaps I caught a csr on a bad day and royal's csr was having a good one. Whatever the case may be, I'm not gonna lie about MY experience. I love the fact that there are brick and mortar places to go and visit and shop at. I know that as a noob, like I am, I hear everyone speak so highly of GP, but I had a different experience. I'm not trying to take food out of anyone's mouth.

The problem is, you inadvertently do though. Now another new rider might read your review and feel like they don't want to even bother going into GP. You don't need to lie about your experience but what good is your post doing for anyone. There's obviously a reason why people like GP or Royal and if you've only been there once maybe you should try again.

If I drove from a distance to browse/purchase gear, as long as they have my size and the price is reasonable I'm happy. I just think some people expect too much because let's face it, gear isn't cheap and some people seem to think they need a red carpet when they're spending a good amount of money.

I just spent $1200 on a new suit and when I walked into the store I wasn't met with the biggest smile, the marching band was off that day, and I had to wait 10-15min before someone was able to help me. They knew what I was there for but they were busy and only had so many sales staff available.

The problem is, you inadvertently do though. Now another new rider might read your review and feel like they don't want to even bother going into GP. You don't need to lie about your experience but what good is your post doing for anyone. There's obviously a reason why people like GP or Royal and if you've only been there once maybe you should try again.

Very good points. Without an attitude. Nice.

It's like the old rule of thumb, have a great experience and you tell a couple people but have a bad experience and you will tell everyone. People reading this should be intelligent enough to decipher that this is an opinion about how the OP was treated/felt when he visited a store.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion and I guess everyone is welcome to post their opinions about his opinion (I could go on all day this way)

People like what they like and don't like what they don't like.

I'm. Way out of the way for both of these particular stores. I do however frequent the Royal in Guelph. The only complaint I have about this store is if they have stuff on sale maybe have more of it on hand. But take it as it comes.
I agree that every one is entitled to bad days Yep we all have them and sometimes we ALL jump a little to quick. And sometimes a second visit will change your, mine or most people's opinion. I usually try to give everyone the benefit that their just having a bad day. Don't take it personal I just move onto a different rep if there's one available.
Just my opinion.

Been to both. Prefer GP. GP service depends on who you get. Typically like a lot of stores.. When you need someone, you cant find anyone to help you, when you don't they're all around. The new GP Website lists all stock that they have access to. You best call ahead to see if they actually have that product in the store.

I Love GP....I've never been over looked or mistreated. In fact, every department has gone above and beyond for me.

Back
Top Bottom