Was my Ninja 250R lowered? (Pics) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Was my Ninja 250R lowered? (Pics)

Matty8

Hi, I would like to confirm my suspicion that my 2012 ninja 250 has been lowered by the previous owner. I took pictures of what I suspect are after market parts used to lower the rear of the bike (circled in green).

Either way I would like to raise my bike a bit. Can I adjust these so called 'dog bones' to do so? Do I need to take them off before adjusting?

suspensionLink1.jpg
suspensionLink2.jpg

Thanks

UPDATE: It looks like the front end may have also been lowered, and the handle bars raised with spacers to compensate. This just got a lot trickier.

Last edited:
Loosen the nuts and turn to extend, turn each one equally

similar to these

10377611_10203046984317927_841389786864931188_n.jpg

I'd want to take one off just to confirm plenty thread inside when set to desired height. You never know.

Those things are a hack. The two links need to be precisely the same length. You are better off replacing these with proper linkage. I doubt you can get any practical height increase, as there only appears to be a few end threads left.

^ this.

I need to shorten them to increase the height though, right? so that shouldn't be a concern.

Yes. Sorry about my answer good job you're on the ball.

Those things are a hack. The two links need to be precisely the same length. You are better off replacing these with proper linkage. I doubt you can get any practical height increase, as there only appears to be a few end threads left.

maybe a hack, but they don't have to be exactly the same, this is why they are threaded and to get them the same he can thread up one more or less than the other as long as eye to eye it's the same the tubes themselves really don't matter, if they are not exactly the same in length...

fairly easy to count the threads r set one and spin the other to match.
on kawis even OEM wishbones you put one in and wiggle the other to fit, so off 1 mm or so isnt that big of a deal.

on the other hand, im not a fan of messing with ride height on bikes, tune the settings to fir your riding style and weight then leave the rest alone.

maybe a hack, but they don't have to be exactly the same, this is why they are threaded and to get them the same he can thread up one more or less than the other as long as eye to eye it's the same the tubes themselves really don't matter, if they are not exactly the same in length...

The two linkages need to be precisely the same length or the shock will have side forces when it is not supposed to. It has to line up perfectly square. This is why proper shock linkage kits for lowering or jacking are not made like this. If the bolt holding through the shock eye is not perfectly square, you can get the shock sticking and definitely wearing early.
People make their own linkages from steel stock, the holes are typically drilled with the two linkages clamped together to make sure the distance is identical. The length of the linkage can vary, but both links need to be identical as possible.

Nothing wrong with those links. As Gatekeeper said, measure eye to eye, be precise and accurate. If set up properly, the bolt will pass through with little or no resistance.

The two linkages need to be precisely the same length or the shock will have side forces when it is not supposed to. It has to line up perfectly square.

Agreed, bit it's not really any different than reinstalling front forks, is it? These must be equal and square, as well, and most of us have done it with no trouble.

When I do length adjustments on dual rear shocks I get 2 bolts of same diameter as shock mounts. I put the bolts thru both shocks on the work bench. That gets them equal length. Should work with the links as well.

Back
Top Bottom