Washed My Bike: Protect certain parts from overspray? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Washed My Bike: Protect certain parts from overspray?

BrownBrady

I washed my CBR250R for the first time when it got dirty after riding through a muddy road. I wrapped certain parts of the motorcycle with plastic wrap to protect it from overspray. Also, I noticed a small drip hole beside the main gas filler hole and wasn't sure what that was so I covered that too in case it leads back into the gas tank. Anybody know what that is?

[video=youtube;LZZUABU44fA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZUABU44fA[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZUABU44fA

Is this a serious question?
That hole is there as a run off, for if you ever overfill your gas tank. You don't have to plug it. In fact try and pour water down it, it should drip out of a hose onto the ground. And you don't need to cover those parts with seran wrap. bikes are designed to withstand the elements. You have never ridden in the pouring rain yet? The water won'thhurt your motorcycle.

Unfortunately, it was a serious question so thanks for confirming it. I have ridden in the rain before and noticed rust spots in the chain a few hours later. That's why I was concerned about rusting out the electronics. Thanks for the advice.
If your chain is rusting an hour after your first rain ride, you might want to replace that or learn how to lube it properly.....
I commuted daily rain or shine on my bike and never saw rust on the chain an hour later.

Your good to wash it all, just avoid high pressure spray on delicate parts i.e. rad ......oh and also make sure your gas cap is securely latched ( don't ask why I mention this).

Unfortunately, it was a serious question so thanks for confirming it. I have ridden in the rain before and noticed rust spots in the chain a few hours later. That's why I was concerned about rusting out the electronics. Thanks for the advice.

I was just asking a coworker with a pristine condition bike for washing tips. When I was doing my first oil change, I noticed how dirty the bike was on the bottom. I have been trying to ride much more this year, no matter the conditions, and it's gotten dirty.
I figured I should be able to hose it down, but was also concerned of any areas that I should avoid.
Thanks for asking BrownBrady

I don`t cover anything on my cbr250r when I wash it. I just avoid getting any water down the exhaust pipe. Some water gets in. Just don`t spray towards it from behind.

I don`t cover anything on my cbr250r when I wash it. I just avoid getting any water down the exhaust pipe. Some water gets in. Just don`t spray towards it from behind.

my bike's user manual says to plastic bag the handle bar controls and tail pipe. I think that's just to cover their bases - I don't do that . As long as you dont go over extreme with a pressure washer/garden hose in those areas you are fine.

I use automotive car cleaning soap in bucket of warm water. First I spray down the bike. Then soap it up - get rid of bugs etc. Then hose it down. Use lint free cloths from Canadian tire to dry it up and Tirox speed wax for the tank/plastics afterwards.

Rust definitely shows up on chains fast. You can hardly see it at first, but it's there... If I don't have time to wash my bike after getting caught in the rain, I at least clean the chain off with a rag and wd40 and then lube it sometime later with my DuPont teflon chainsaver.

You bought fancy car wash and rim cleaner but didn't buy a bucket? Come on man.

I washed my CBR250R for the first time when it got dirty after riding through a muddy road.

Do you come from a dirtbike background? :) I'm assuming not a newbie rider either, since i wouldn't consider riding through a muddy road on my bike, even when i had a 250.

LO:L that was some funny video right there, you think the engineers designed the bike to take no water"?

Keep up the great videos BrownBrady. You're thorough and you're making an effort to help people. We need more of that around here.

Keep up the great videos BrownBrady. You're thorough and you're making an effort to help people. We need more of that around here.

+1^^

Back
Top Bottom