Which of these 2 would you buy to make into dedicated track bike over the winter..... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which of these 2 would you buy to make into dedicated track bike over the winter.....

smudger

Hi all,
I'm looking at both of these today & will be buying one of them to convert into a dedicated track bike over the winter but which one would you guys go with?

#1 1996 ZX9 - Ad states that bike runs well & plastics are in good condition, replacement engine fitted & has been bored with K&N's & after market pipe etc - picture shows ZX9 in a garage with all plastics off & looking rather dusty

#2 1991 ZX7 - Ad states that bike runs good but needs a tune, no issues with transmission, shifting or brakes, bike has been stored indoors as he doesn't ride anymore - pictures show what looks to be an immaculate & clean ZX7

Both bikes are listed at $1000.

Which would you guys go for bearing in mind it will become a dedicated track bike?
Martin

I'm partial to the ZX7 for some reason, and the ZX7 line was built off race bikes.
I see the one your looking at on Kijiji, and it looks like a fine specimen.
If when you see it and it runs buy sounds like someone threw a pile of nails in the upper part of the engine that's normal.
Looks like braided steel brake lines on it already, that's a plus.
My 1996 ZX7R was a $600 deal, then i put another 2K into it, but I built it as a street/Track bike, which likely added $1000 to the rebuild. Should have just made a track bike.
If you buy it and need an engine or engine rebuild parts, I likely have enough parts for to make 6 complete engines for that year bike.

I'd pay more for one that was already converted. It costs way more to do it yourself.

Hey Kellen,
Yea, had seen that one but its $300 too much for me & the guy seems pretty firm on pricing.

Yea I know, what you say makes perfect sense, but I can spread the race bodywork cost over the winter months & at this point in time I just dont have the extra $300-$400 for various reasons.
I did speak to the guy selling the CBR but I cant reach what he wants..............that & I'll also enjoy working on the ZX7/9 over the winter.

Yea I know, what you say makes perfect sense, but I can spread the race bodywork cost over the winter months & at this point in time I just dont have the extra $300-$400 for various reasons.
I did speak to the guy selling the CBR but I cant reach what he wants..............that & I'll also enjoy working on the ZX7/9 over the winter.

The CBR is a much better way to go. If $ 300 is deal breaker on a $ 1600 bike, track riding is not the right hobby for you. You'll spend a LOT more to get either ZX to where that CBR is now.

The CBR is a much better way to go. If $ 300 is deal breaker on a $ 1600 bike, track riding is not the right hobby for you. You'll spend a LOT more to get either ZX to where that CBR is now.

Yeah like 2x. That Ohlins shock on the F4 is worth more than the zx7. Lol

This one I'm interested in, does anyone know the owner of this bike and it's condition?

i know the owner of that bike

he took it to mosport for 1/2 a track day (due to rain in the morning) and thats it

didn't realize he was selling it that cheap.

Back
Top Bottom