Burlington Skyway crash: Driver to face additional charges! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Burlington Skyway crash: Driver to face additional charges!

Skully

formal charges will be next wednesday, this will be his first court appearance, requesting a translator. more to come of this next week. more on the story below, IDIOT!!!

LINK

LINK

Dumbass should have lost his licence for a lot more than 3 years, and should loose his class A permanently.

I'm amazed that only a few years after a DUI conviction he actually even found some commercial operator willing to hire him. That goes to show you how many bottom feeder companies there are out there in commercial trucking.

I betcha he got his commercial license through one of those infamous truck-driving schools in Brampton.

Low-value cargo being hauled means whoever is the cheapest gets the job, then it becomes a race to the bottom.

I'm glad he's going to the slammer for a while.

Would it not make sense that a pre-qualificaion for getting a commercial driver's license (or, ANY driver's license) is that you have a functional knowledge of one of the official languages of this country? How do you read and understand road signs otherwise?

Would it not make sense that a pre-qualificaion for getting a commercial driver's license (or, ANY driver's license) is that you have a functional knowledge of one of the official languages of this country? How do you read and understand road signs otherwise?

The driver mills will cater to your language choice. Many of them would struggle to provide service in English actually, if you see where I'm coming from.

And believe it or not, the MTO will cater to it as well in everything except the road test...in which "basic hand signals" can be used if a language barrier is an issue. For the written tests you're allowed to bring an interpreter and request a verbal test instead, and documents can be translated using an approved translator.

Sad, but true...but English really isn't a necessity in the end. https://www.drivetest.ca/tests/translators-languages.html

I betcha he got his commercial license through one of those infamous truck-driving schools in Brampton.

Having worked in an industrial section of Bramalea for 13 years (swerving around the infamous pi** jugs), my money's on Pay Less.

I remember passing you on the way home one Friday on Steeles hauling your track bike w. your Jetta.

Having worked in an industrial section of Bramalea for 13 years (swerving around the infamous pi** jugs), my money's on Pay Less.

I remember passing you on the way home one Friday on Steeles hauling your track bike w. your Jetta.
Pretty sure that is what I read in the paper, or on the internetz... PayLess.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

per your link

"Breath samples were also ruled inadmissible because Burlington OPP took them outside the three-hour window stipulated by the Criminal Code.

That torpedoed drunk-driving charges.

But Monday, Campling noted Rai was convicted of impaired driving in 2008.

And, although the breath test was scuttled, he would consider that an OPP officer smelled booze on Rai as he sat in the cruiser, and that a bottle with alcohol in it was found beside his driver's seat.

"It's my view that you are a continuing danger on the road," the judge told Rai, rejecting Locke's bid for a conditional sentence that could have involved community service.

Campling agreed with Locke that the criminal proceeding wasn't the appropriate setting to decide how much restitution, if at all, Rai ought to pay victims of the crash. Some of them could still be compensated through a civil case, he noted.

Outside court, Locke said restitution is up to insurance companies to sort out and noted he knew nothing about any related civil litigation.

His client has suffered considerably, he said.

"He's going through a rough time."

Rai, who's married and has two children, has been working as a labourer in Brampton while on bail.

His client may seek an appeal, which must be launched within 30 days of sentencing.

tmoro@thespec.com"

Rai's going through a rough time?????? When you do something stupid that should be expected. Yes your family will also suffer and that's why you don't do stupid things.

Being an alcoholic isn't stupid but if you're going off the wagon book the time off away from big things that hurt people.

Drunk driving charges torpedoed. OPP screw up.

Any discussion on how much restitution Rai will have to pay is a waste of oxygen. His employment ceiling is a labourer in Brampton.

Welcome to Wynnetario.

Any discussion on how much restitution Rai will have to pay is a waste of oxygen. His employment ceiling is a labourer in Brampton.

If he manages to maintain his class A licence he almost certainly WILL find someone willing to employ him again...like I said, there are a lot of bottom feeder companies in this industry and the requirements for many of those **** companies who just desperately need bums in the seats to move the freight is a class A licence (regardless of how you got it or your actual skill or abilities therein), a pulse, and a crayon.

There is an industry wide driver shortage in the trucking and it's getting worse. That's why companies are hiring bottom of the barrel drivers. It's not like the old days when truck drivers were professionals, now if you can't do anything else you drive a truck. The industry is working on ways to make the job more appealing in order to attract new young drivers.

There is no shortage of drivers. Immigrants from all over are doing it, and driving the prices down. There is a shortage of PROFESSIONAL drivers yes! The actual good drivers, don't want to work for peanuts.

is a shortage of PROFESSIONAL drivers yes! The actual good drivers, don't want to work for peanuts.

Nailed it. Drivers aren't hard to find. Good ones are, but only a select few companies are willing to pay for them.

I'm amazed that only a few years after a DUI conviction he actually even found some commercial operator willing to hire him.

... I am amazed that any company could afford to insure him with a DUI conviction....

...I'm glad he's going to the slammer for a while....

Watching the news yesterday, I think they said that he gets the 1 year, will be out max 8 months based on some early release program.... eligible for parole in 4 months :eek:

My money says this guy is back out in to his life before the Christmas shopping season.

what a gong show!

From what I've seen, many companies don't even hire drivers now. They just hire contract drivers. You see a big difference in the attitudes between an o/o, employee and contract driver imo.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Usually driving impaired stems from becoming overconfident in the driver's driving ability.

This guy has only been driving a truck for 3 months.....

Nailed it. Drivers aren't hard to find. Good ones are, but only a select few companies are willing to pay for them.

Usually consumer sensitive companies ie breweries, grocery chains etc. If their name isn't on the trailer or truck they probably don't care either.

Get your A, buy a clapped out day cab and "I are a trucker".

did you guys miss the part that because it took longer than 3 hours to test him for alcohol it was tossed out?
Why didn't they try to make the argument that even after 3 hours he was still legally drunk?
Did he magically breathe in alcohol while in police custody?

did you guys miss the part that because it took longer than 3 hours to test him for alcohol it was tossed out?
Why didn't they try to make the argument that even after 3 hours he was still legally drunk?

That doesn't matter. There were a number of cases that set the precedent that that timeframe was unacceptable.

No one is arguing he wasn't drunk, the argument is more around the right to a fair trial. When police clearly exceed their boundaries, courts toss the charges to discourage the behaviour (better 100 guilty released than 1 innocent convicted). Not saying I agree with this approach, but at least it seems to be consistently applied.

Drunk driving charges torpedoed. OPP screw up.

It wasn't so much a screw up as they were in the midst of dealing with a cluster **** of epic proportions.

After 3 hours it is necessary to extrapolate (read: guess) the blood alcohol content at the time of the infraction. A person's BAC can increase after they are initially arrested for DUI. How much is the crux.

Usually consumer sensitive companies ie breweries, grocery chains etc. If their name isn't on the trailer or truck they probably don't care either.

High end LTL carriers like I work for only hire experience and pay handsomely for it. Breweries, cola companies, basically...big fleets with an image to protect. They are the good ones.

But grocery chains, not so much...to the contrary, they typically contract out the actual movement of freight to third party companies, and some of the guys they hire are challenged to back into the docks at the actual stores, much less actually navigate the truck there through city streets.

From what I've seen, many companies don't even hire drivers now. They just hire contract drivers. You see a big difference in the attitudes between an o/o, employee and contract driver imo

A lot of companies won't hire anyone, they just have an army of perma-temps from driver agencies. I worked for a LARGE southern ontario based cartage company that will remain unnamed for 3 years (15 years ago) and was never an actual employee, nor were any of my many coworkers. We all got paycheques from one of 4 or 5 different agencies they contracted through. Of course this gave them the benefit of no strings attached - bring on and get rid of drivers on a whim, you were constantly under their thumb...piss someone off by (gasp!) asking for a day off and you'd be sitting at home for a week because of a "work shortage", then they'd call in another temp to cover your work instead.

It sucked. And it's perfectly legal to this day.

Back
Top Bottom