Burlington Skyway crash: Driver to face additional charges! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Burlington Skyway crash: Driver to face additional charges!

A lot of companies won't hire anyone, they just have an army of perma-temps from driver agencies. I worked for a LARGE southern ontario based cartage company that will remain unnamed for 3 years (15 years ago) and was never an actual employee, nor were any of my many coworkers. We all got paycheques from one of 4 or 5 different agencies they contracted through. Of course this gave them the benefit of no strings attached - bring on and get rid of drivers on a whim, you were constantly under their thumb...piss someone off by (gasp!) asking for a day off and you'd be sitting at home for a week because of a "work shortage", then they'd call in another temp to cover your work instead.

It sucked. And it's perfectly legal to this day.

Lol Manitoulin? I've got too many stories just trying to get the load from the trailer into a factory, I can't imagine the shitshow that goes when they're actually on the road. Or more accurately I don't want to picture it.

Best part is the driver that hit the bridge, and most of the low budget Bramladesh drivers around, get their ticket paid for by the Province.

High end LTL carriers like I work for only hire experience and pay handsomely for it. Breweries, cola companies, basically...big fleets with an image to protect. They are the good ones.

But grocery chains, not so much...to the contrary, they typically contract out the actual movement of freight to third party companies, and some of the guys they hire are challenged to back into the docks at the actual stores, much less actually navigate the truck there through city streets.

A lot of companies won't hire anyone, they just have an army of perma-temps from driver agencies. I worked for a LARGE southern ontario based cartage company that will remain unnamed for 3 years (15 years ago) and was never an actual employee, nor were any of my many coworkers. We all got paycheques from one of 4 or 5 different agencies they contracted through. Of course this gave them the benefit of no strings attached - bring on and get rid of drivers on a whim, you were constantly under their thumb...piss someone off by (gasp!) asking for a day off and you'd be sitting at home for a week because of a "work shortage", then they'd call in another temp to cover your work instead.

It sucked. And it's perfectly legal to this day.

If a broker tries to improve his lot in life by buying a newer truck and the dispatcher gets jealous suddenly the broker gets the crap runs, heavy loads, bad roads and slow unloads. It's amazing how buying someone a bottle of whiskey can improve a trucks mileage.

Back
Top Bottom