Cool new weather map from NOAA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cool new weather map from NOAA

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Very dramatic just now

dn26322-1_1200.jpg

The NOAA map above is updated hourly and is very finely detailed down to 3 km but I cannot find a live link as yet.

Super-detailed weather map shows US of fire and ice

17:30 03 October 2014 by Flora Graham
For similar stories, visit the Picture of the day , Hurricanes and US national issues Topic Guides
(Image: NOAA)

Look out, South Dakota and Nebraska – wild weather is on its way. That's the message from this example of the new super-detailed US weather forecast map, produced by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

NOAA is combining detailed real-world weather data with models of how clouds and winds evolve, creating a weather prediction that is updated every hour. It has a resolution of 3 kilometres, four times better than previous systems. This allows meteorologists to pinpoint neighbourhoods under threat of tornadoes, snowstorms and flash flooding as well as alert airports and pilots to air turbulence and thunderstorms.

The image above, produced on 30 September, appears to show the south of the US ablaze, but it's actually a map of surface temperature. It shows a cold front moving across the plains, threatening South Dakota and Nebraska with severe downpours.

With that small a grid riders should have very detailed information coming available near real time as I see 15 minute updates on the data page.

These are my main tools for riding assessment.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php
This is national for the US and can be burrowed into for local radar.

and Ontario
http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WKR

and it will be raing in Toronto oh about 1/2 and hour or so. :D

Thanks for this. (quite the image of the USA!)

This will be handy on Sunday AM when I plan my ride.

Looks like the south is burning.

Thanks for this. (quite the image of the USA!)

This will be handy on Sunday AM when I plan my ride.

Warm gear in order..single digits in the early morning and night time.
I think I'm dodging this weekend - next lots better.

Looks like some flames painting on that map

Back
Top Bottom