Thermal Gear Really Thermal? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thermal Gear Really Thermal?

Costco is now carrying merino wool layers, long underware and long sleeved T's in the $24 range. Compared to MEC and icebreaker brand this is 1/3 the price. Its like free. and its CDN made 100% merino. Beyond a good deal. Will be testing it tomorrow out on Lake Ontario. I'm a huge fan of Merino wool, warm when damp, dries really fast and doesn't stink like polypro stuff.

Costco is now carrying merino wool layers, long underware and long sleeved T's in the $24 range. Compared to MEC and icebreaker brand this is 1/3 the price. Its like free. and its CDN made 100% merino. Beyond a good deal. Will be testing it tomorrow out on Lake Ontario. I'm a huge fan of Merino wool, warm when damp, dries really fast and doesn't stink like polypro stuff.

I wear these as base layer. Very good quality and really comfortable and keeps me warm without getting hot. I like the high neck on the tops for keeping wind from going down my neck. I wear the bottoms on really cold days under pants and riding pants, but since I got the heated liner from Veloctiy, I dont need wear anything between a t-shirt and the liner.

Thanks Shane,

I was going to take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

I actually had been thinking about it and blocked of the bottom of the handguards using Cardboard. I was impressed with the result. Along came Warhammer and he decided to make some. He sent me the first set he made and then sold them for a while.

He has since disappeared and I don't have any way to contact him. No One I know of has heard from him.

BTW this morning was my coldest ride in to work this fall. It was at 0°c when I left home and there was frost on the roofs of some houses on the way in. I usually wait until it is consistently below freezing to add the handguard extensions.

..Tom

Patigonia capilene for my base layer. Never had heated gear, keep your hands, feet and neck warm and the rest will take care of itself.

Really good stuff.

I found a thin compression shirt and a midweight baselayer on top works very well, even better than a heavy base layer on it's own. IE capilene 2 + thin compression shirt > capilene 4.

I just upgraded my gear a couple of weeks ago. Here's my anecdote.

Went from t-shirts and long johns coupled with warm sweaters and sweatpants underneath my Berik suit. Was always a bit cold below 15°C and unbearable below around 10°C at medium and high speeds.

Now:
MEC T3 long johns and zip-up T for base layer
MEC Amenity jacket mid layer
KLIM Latitude Misano suit
Alpinestars Overland Drystar gloves

The difference is astounding. At 15°C I need the arm zips open to let cool air in. At 10°C I'm comfortable on at high speeds everywhere except my hands which get a bit chilly. I'll probably get some heated gloves and be done with it. At low speeds, perfectly comfortable everywhere down to 5°C or so, which is the lowest temperature I prefer to ride in.

Regular repeated washing your thermal gear will lessen its insulation value as the material is compacted over time. You need to refresh your gear every few years as it looses its effectiveness.

^ non detergent wash is supposed to increase it's life. You can use fancy nikwax tech wash, or baby Johnson shampoo. Baby shampoo is well known as a good down wash. BTW it's imperative not to use laundry detergent on down.

Last edited:
What do you guys that wear all the long underwear etc do when you stop for lunch or a coffee break?

..Tom

Take off the outside layers and just hang out in the long johns :), or don't stop, just keep riding.

What do you guys that wear all the long underwear etc do when you stop for lunch or a coffee break?

..Tom
Leave them on. Unless your office has the AC set to 30C you'll probably be alright. Snow pants can easily zip over any existing gear, too so those are easy to get out of and just leave with the bike.

..Tom

same as when I'm skiing or hiking, I peel off the top layers to the point of not offensive and unzip everything to vent. Sweat is your enemy later in the day.

I stick a 2"dia. abs pipe down my pants. Creates a stack effect and vents quite nicely. I try to not sit close to smoke detectors.

Leave them on. Unless your office has the AC set to 30C you'll probably be alright. Snow pants can easily zip over any existing gear, too so those are easy to get out of and just leave with the bike.

The KLIM pants I mentioned previously have giant zippers along each outside leg. They open up and vent quite nice and there's a mesh layer blocking your bare or longjohn-wearing leg from being exposed to the general public. And, of course, the jacket and mid-layer come right off.

"Got these in"/ Does that mean you own a pair or you have a shop and have them in stock. Checked the link and they only ship to Canada if the order is 300$ or more. Would love a pair for my commute.

Back
Top Bottom