Thermal Gear Really Thermal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thermal Gear Really Thermal?

ariesmars

I'm planning on riding till mid November and knew that I'd have to buy winterish gear. Anyone have experience with thermal undergarments? I know about heated gear but what about thermal? Worth the money?

Thanks.

I have a Tourmaster Transition 3 jacket with a thermal liner. I love this jacket. Nice and warm and no wind gets through it. I also wear a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego 12 pants with a liner. Can`t remember if its thermal but they keep me warm and no wind gets through them either. And I wear a fleece buff around my neck because my jacket has no collar.

I'm planning on riding till mid November and knew that I'd have to buy winterish gear. Anyone have experience with thermal undergarments? I know about heated gear but what about thermal? Worth the money?

Thanks.

By Riding do you mean for pleasure on weekends or commuting? or both?

I use base layers that wick moisture and are warm under my riding gear. I have Halley hansen stuff, but theres tons of brands. Biggest marketed nowdays in mainstream stores is "under armour". I actually ride in the summer with similar technology and it actually wicks heat away from me too. The area you will feel the cold will be your hands - heated grips only go so far, you can do winter gloves too.

The area you will feel the cold will be your hands - heated grips only go so far, you can do winter gloves too.

You need little windshields for your hands no if ands or buts. Hand guards.

Patigonia capilene for my base layer. Never had heated gear, keep your hands, feet and neck warm and the rest will take care of itself.

I know this falls into the heated gear category, but I recently tried the heated vest and heated motorcycle gloves from www.firedupx.com and have to say I'm impressed! worth every penny for how long you can extend the riding season!

Geez - just tried on a ColdPruf Platinum top - damn is it warm...we'll see on the road today but might be too warm.
I like that it's a relaxed fit - easier to get in and out of.
It is listed as Very Cold to Extreme Cold underlayer. I can see that.

I commute in Toronto as long as there is no snow and find myself riding is pretty cold weather. I ride with my work clothes, ia sweater and my jacket (hein gerike all weather) and joe rocket pants. If too cold, sometimes use double socks. Hands is a challenge and on top of heated grips I found these really big thingis in amazon that are like a huge glove that he over my hand guard... best thing ever!

The key is to dress in layers.You can do this for your hands as well.Glove liners...latex gloves...leather gloves.

Missed my heated grips today. New Scott jacket worked the charm. Just light drifit underneath - wind, rain and chill - got a dose today.

Feet did not work.....have no gear to deal with that as Burgman never needed any.

Feet did not work.....have no gear to deal with that as Burgman never needed any.[/QUOTE]

May have missed this....did you get the vstrom?

And where do you get the cold pruf top?

Edit: Just read the other thread. Nice bike.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DJYICS/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

I'm thinking I can lose the jacket liner and go with the ColdPruf and my shirt. Less bulk.

41UgKWFEi4L.jpg

When they say true sizing they mean it....I ordered a size up from normal for me and it IS a size up from normal but still wearable.

Layers are the way to go. You can get some decent Merino wool or T2/T3 base layers at MEC, and then throw some mid-layer fleece or something on top under the jacket. Smartwool (merino) socks are nice too.

Warm gloves are my only problem. I've ridden at -10C and only my hands were cold. I just have a very large ski jacket shell I throw over top my riding jacket to block the wind and a pair of snow pants to keep my legs warm.

My riding jacket is perforated leather so it flows much more cold air that most other leather jackets.

I looked at the Velocity heated gloves and they seemed like they'd be amazing but their sizing was way off for me. I wear a S or XS for finger length. This usually means I have a hard time getting my hands in because I have wide hands with short fingers. The Velocity sizes seemed to get smaller in the palm with almost no difference in finger length between sizes.

Today with my Tourmaster Deerskin summer gloves and some liners it was tolerable but my hands were fairly numb when I got to work after 25-30 minutes.

Frozen hands is dangerous riding. At a certain temp it's time for heated gear, my tolerance for cold especially on my hands is not good.
Plugged in my heated gloves, jacket liner, boot insoles today, and I enjoyed the ride to my job in Buffalo, rather than survived it.

I ride a fair amount (40,000 or so km a year) and do a fair amount of commuting. I ride until there is snow and ice on the road and don't really worry about temperature. For the most part I take an approach opposite of what most people here do.

My cold-weather gear consists of an electric jacket (warm and safe), a soft-shell jacket for more warmth, fleace pants from Aerostich and a pair of heated gloves from Gerbing. I wear the same riding suit summer and winter (Aerostich Roadcrafter two-piece) and the same boots and socks. (Alpinstar Web-Goretex boots and Tilley travel dress socks. Only in all day rides well below 0c would I bother with heavier socks and even then rarely.)

I generally start with what I would be comfortable wearing in a restaurant at a lunch stop. This means no long underwear, maybe a moisture wicking t-shirt (and that is becoming more rare for me) and just whatever pants and shirt I might wear at lunch. If commuting when cold enough to wear electric I leave my work suit-jacket in my topcase. Basically I layer up from my street clothes as the need arises with various combinations of the heated jacket and the soft shell. I generally have three different categories of gloves in my tank bag. These range from light mesh, intermediate and heated gloves. In summer I havea small windshield, in fall I put on a larger shield. I have the Suzuki Handguards on my V-Strom and I close of the bottom of them when it gets really cold.

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom