Ducati Scrambler or BMW R9t | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati Scrambler or BMW R9t

I'm going to have another look at the Scrambler picture. Maybe I jumped the gun on that one.

edit: did not realize there's a darkened one with low handlebar......sweet

Last edited:
So please elaborate , the scrambler at 8,500k in four configurations, 800cc motor and utilitarian styled is crap? how so? The beemer is a bit spendy, but plaid shirted bearded "not Hipsters" will buy them up.
Just think it's silly sticking a Scrambler label on a bike like that.Nothing off-road about it whatsoever.It's all show and no go.I' was turned off the R9T when I first saw the marketing thing BMW did with the three mode transformer thing.One of them removes the entire rear tail section.No lights,no plate mount.Really?

Like sticking a hyper motard label on one of them there Ducks:) Don't let the marketing bafflegab freak you out, that's something us purists:rolleyes: just need to endure. My buddy won't quit on how my Tri Scrambler is nothing like a TR6 or whatever the fuq that oil leaking crapile was. Well, no guff! The Scram is nothing like it, he only thinks it needs to be because he fell for the faux lineage.
I see no reason why the Duck Scrambler can't be a solid runaround. A bike spec'ed out like that used to be a going concern.

As soon as someone swaps out the knobbly tires. Scramblers are like Land Rovers -will never actually get dirty.

Spilled lattes don't count?

Never knew a trend existed, beyond the fake Tridump with the silly pipes. Speaking of silly pipes, let's hope Ducati doesn't start a trend.

Like sticking a hyper motard label on one of them there Ducks:) Don't let the marketing bafflegab freak you out, that's something us purists:rolleyes:
Very true.The Hypermotard was as far away from Motard as you can get.But it's a very good streetbike for those getting out of the SS line.

I saw one go by once. It seemed to be doing just fine.

The BMW R9T. It's build from the ground up to be fully customizable; you can change its looks as fashion changes or as you change. This gives it a much longer lease on life as it can survive design trends which the Ducati may not (scramblers go in and out of fashion).

[h=2]Pricing[/h]Icon Red: $8,495 (USA), $9,295 (Canada),
Icon Yellow: $8,595 (USA), $9,395 (Canada),
Full Throttle: $9,995 (USA), $10,995 (Canada),
Urban Enduro: $9,995 (USA), $10,995 (Canada),
Classic: $9,995 (USA), $10,995 (Canada),

Spilled lattes don't count?

Never knew a trend existed, beyond the fake Tridump with the silly pipes. Speaking of silly pipes, let's hope Ducati doesn't start a trend.

The trend for 2015 is pointless wings. Watch for them on ebay in carbon fiber look for CBR125s.

Ride them. I rode the 9T and everything about it was amazing, except that boxer engine. Freaks me out how it shakes sideways!! Not for me

Very true.The Hypermotard was as far away from Motard as you can get.But it's a very good streetbike for those getting out of the SS line.

So you cannot make a closing argument that the scrambler will not be a good street bike for other people than you.

It's just freely served opinions, right?

The scrambler looks well designed with a modern engine and priced right. The BMW is well designed, but is expensive considering the components they put in (sketchy front fork and axial front brake master) a bike for almost 17K. The engine is an old oil head with a car clutch, the wheels while with spokes, are not the same wheels GS line is using, so it needs tubes .... unless of course you like this whole retro thing.

Last edited:
The question was "which one".And neither one turned my crank.I think it's kinda like a vote,yay or nay,no place on the ballot for me to put down anything else really.I'm sure lots will like both of them.Motorcycle manufacturers do a ton of market research before they cough up.

I like them both but the Propeller logo and boxer engine can't sway me to pay that much. Monster's are a few grand cheaper which i think is a better comparison.
The Scrambler is kinda neat but i thought it was going to be cheaper. I dig Duc's but i'd be hard pressed to buy one.

This comparison is not relevant, cannot not see the same buyer considering these 2. The scrambler is positioned against Triumph Bonneville, Truxton and Scrambler and the Moto Guzzi V7. The real intent is also to reach out to a younger crowd that may have never considered a Ducati.

The R9T is a tribute to the R- series. The dry clutch and the oil head are all part opf the DNA of a bike that has a passionate following. It appeals to an older well heeled crowd.

Who also like Ducati GT 1000, Moto Guzzi Greiso and others.

Last edited:
From my bunker vantage point it sure looks like the Dscrambler is a way, way better machine than the Triumph retros. Those retros are fall down stupid bargain binish. I mean, those Triumphs couldn't be any heavier and underpowered and sloppy unless you compare to cruisers. I don't see the Dushrambler in those terms at all. Closer in spirit, if not price, to the r90 imho.

so we have determined the R9T and the Ducscambled are horizontally opposed, so lets just look at the scrambler. yes they stuck a scrambler label on it, but where did all the scramblers come from in the first place? the raised the fenders on a road bike, moved the exhaust up and put on some mud tires. You cant discount them for not building a dirt bike. Who would really want offroad geometry , twitchy head angles and all for a bike that wont be going down many 6" mud rutted single tracks.

I think Duscram is L Twin, not horizontally opposed.

It's a personal preference if you're going by looks. If you're going by internals, I'd opt for the R1200R and NOT the R9T. The R9T is something you buy if you're into the BMW heritage. You're most definitely paying a ~$2500 premium on that bike...even in comparison to other BMWs. If you like BMW, then it's a no brainer. I'm not even sure why or how the ducati would enter the equation.

All that said, I like how the Ducati looks and for a city bike it'd do good. However, if you're looking into a new bike, and the looks of the R9T have caught your fancy, I'd strongly suggest looking into the R1200R. The black trim looks very sharp on the new models, you can use it as a roadster or a touring bike, can handle a decent payload, is powered by a neat engine, you can tech it up the wazoo or not and so on.

Last edited:
I'm going to say, with out looking, the r9t has a completely different front fork situation as r1200r. That might make a difference.

edit, just watched a youtube review of the r9t lol, dude said BMW has always been known for highly sophisticated motorcycles but r9t is a bit of throwback lol, just a few short years ago BMW was accused, like HD, of not keeping up with times. I guess if you're a 20something reviewer a few years are a lifetime.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom