New bike breakin - a curiousity | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New bike breakin - a curiousity

So why does my manual say to baby it? Are these engineers just retarded?

Not retarded, they just don't have internet access so they don't get their information from "Bob the OilGuy".
They did it the hard way... they went to school.
PFFFFtttt.

Not retarded, they just don't have internet access so they don't get their information from "Bob the OilGuy".
They did it the hard way... they went to school.
PFFFFtttt.
Lolz
If only they had gtam... suckers

Nope, it's just they want you to break it in with the least amount of liability, not to make the quickest bike.
Maybe best that I say this method is only recommended for 2 strokes.

for what bike? the manual for my bike says nothing about that.
"Break in period. During the first 500km of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance.
avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration
avoid hard braking and rapid downshifts
ride conservatively "

nothing about baby it. keep it below x-rpm for x km. just basically ride it. This is why i started the thread because i see new bikes minutes off the assembly
line being ridden HARD thru the full rev range. using rapid acceleration and braking. so i suppose all new bikes are pre-destroyed by the factory.

for what bike?

Here is the new 2015 Monster 821 owner manual
dm821om_zpsdefb6f2d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

for what bike? the manual for my bike says nothing about that.
"Break in period. During the first 500km of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance.
avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration
avoid hard braking and rapid downshifts
ride conservatively "

nothing about baby it. keep it below x-rpm for x km. just basically ride it. This is why i started the thread because i see new bikes minutes off the assembly
line being ridden HARD thru the full rev range. using rapid acceleration and braking. so i suppose all new bikes are pre-destroyed by the factory.

Keeping below x amount of rpm is babying it

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Conspiracy theory: They want you to need a new bike in the near future?

Yeah

That's why I'm not doing valve clearance, oil change and throttle syc.
They just want my bike to break faster

I can feel a power drop in GSXR's after they cross 1000 km's on the dot. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this but some fellow owners have. Wondering if they are tuned at the factory like this for the break-in. Perhaps there is a break-in map? It certainly is disappointing to lose that initial grunt!

Didnt bmw add a 1000km breakin period into the ecu on the S1000R's that limited rpm due to failures?

Yes it does since I paid for the bike, if you paid for it then I will skip the whole risk management idea :D
Besides my bike never let me down even if I keep it below 8000 rpm, it's a sweet V4 engine my friend ;)

All the more reason I was sure run it hard a few times so the parts mated together on my rsv4 before I put in synthetic.

I can feel a power drop in GSXR's after they cross 1000 km's on the dot. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this but some fellow owners have. Wondering if they are tuned at the factory like this for the break-in. Perhaps there is a break-in map? It certainly is disappointing to lose that initial grunt!

I would LOVE to see some Dyno results to prove this.

I would LOVE to see some Dyno results to prove this.

Ya its non sense. They actually make more power after a few thousand kms, then after 10000 or 20000 there is a small drop as deposits build up and compresion drops a tad. Depends on the bike and other variables ofcourse.

I think it's not so much the engine, but by riding a little slower while your brakes bed it and tires get scrubbed, you are less likely to have a moment.

I went to the Corvette assembly plant in Lexington Kentucky two years ago and did the tour. At the end of the assembly line each and every Vette is topped up with fluids ,started and brought up to operating temperature and immediately put through a full RPM range dyno run with synthetic oil. MYTH BUSTED!

Last edited:
I have a buddy that used to build circle track motors and they did the same... Better to break a new motor on the dyno than on the track.
Of course, Dino only with 2 stroke break-in. :)

I guess you can skip the 100 mile. But its something id recommend for a rebuild /fresh engine.

Everyone has their own way i guess.

For sure and I'm definitely not going to argue the point. Bottom line is, $30-40 this way or that way won't break a bank so whatever makes you feel comfortable.

As for manuals and official manufacturer recommendations - someone already brought up a key word - "liability." Large companies are desperately trying to protect themselves so quite often what they suggest is not what's best for you or for the product you buy but for them.
And as for dealerships - they usually know **** all so I generally ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom