Car/SUV buying advice | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car/SUV buying advice

For my Hyundai, they won't even offer me a cash discount. I just use the 0% financing and let the amount I was about to spend on the car collect interest

Exactly why I'm looking at a 2012 car instead of 2014. It's even German and unlike the greatest cars on earth it makes torque. Look up that word sunny :p

For me I would rather buy new....that new car smell becomes addictive and who cares its only money for the peace of mind knowing I won't have any unforeseen major repair bills and never get stuck side of the road. Like a bic lighter when empty I toss it and on to the next one. Haven't bought used in 30 years and love it this way a new car and truck in the driveway every 3-4 years which makes the neighbors jelly :D. Plus its a write off so I would rather drive new cars instead of giving the gov my hard earned cash or at least minimize it and enjoy the benefits.

If you ride a sport bike, it'll fit inside a minivan. The Sienna is pretty sexy too IMO. Just tossing it out there.

For me I would rather buy new....that new car smell becomes addictive and who cares its only money for the peace of mind knowing I won't have any unforeseen major repair bills and never get stuck side of the road. Like a bic lighter when empty I toss it and on to the next one. Haven't bought used in 30 years and love it this way a new car and truck in the driveway every 3-4 years which makes the neighbors jelly :D. Plus its a write off so I would rather drive new cars instead of giving the gov my hard earned cash or at least minimize it and enjoy the benefits.

You need to clarify with an accountant what a "write off" is

Brand new car every 3-4 years? That's a lot of money to burn...

They all depreciate, some quicker than others.

This is why i buy used.

Let the mathematically challenged take the hit

How old cars do you usually buy? .. for us mathematically challenged ... LOL

Last edited:
Already have this planned when it does happen. I will be removing the DPF and tuning the car. The customers and companies I have talked to claim 30% increase in fuel economy and since there is no DPF no future costly problems. The DPF delete and tuning is typically around $1200 which is similar to the factory replacement cost.

I am not taking that chance. It's a one thing to remove a cat on a bike, but whole another to temper with emissions system in a car.

30% increase in fuel economy ... I call BS on that one.

For about $2000, you can extend VW warranty to 240,000 km which covers DPF and HPFP problems (if you want to see a nightmare, research that problem, a failed fuel pump becomes a $10K repair).

The DPF costs over 2K to replace (labour is high because they have to drop a whole subframe and re-align all wheels ...) if you are unlucky and have to pay for it ... so I kind of doubt you extend it to 240K for 2K ... sounds too good to be true to me. And on top of it you say it covers HPFP failures too??? My wallet is opening, but my brain says ... "don't you dare" ... HPFP is really more problem in US, but it's true that nobody knows what the Mark VI TDI's will start doing once they hit 120, 150 or 200K .... I don't know anyone with those mileages. Do you?

I am not taking that chance. It's a one thing to remove a cat on a bike, but whole another to temper with emissions system in a car.

30% increase in fuel economy ... I call BS on that one.

You have no idea how restrictive and how stupid the concept behind an egr really is.

Imagine instead of getting a breath of fresh air every couple seconds you inhale your own farts :lmao:

Not sure about vw's but i know in heavy diesel trucks just eliminating the egr can get you 10-20 right away. Add in a better flowing exhaust, combined with cooler intake temp and 30% isnt that far off

On the VW diesels, for most drivers, the emission control system costs no more than a few percent in fuel consumption. My dad's 2011 Golf TDI (with all the emission control stuff) used the same amount of fuel in day-to-day driving as my 2006 (last year before all that).

In very specific conditions, exceptional short-trip pure-city-traffic conditions where the emission control system has to burn extra fuel to keep the catalyst and DPF hot and it has to keep repeatedly trying to get a DPF regeneration complete before the driver shuts it down, maybe it costs more, but only in those conditions. If you do a decent amount of highway driving, the DPF stays hot enough on its own.

You are not going to get a 30% improvement in consumption where there is not 30% to be found. Having said that ... if you have one of these newer diesels, and the DPF takes a dump outside warranty, it's likely cheaper to make it go away than to fix it properly, as long as you can get through Drive Clean. If the Drive Clean inspectors get wise to this, they'll find a way to check even if they're not checking now, and then you are in trouble.

The big reason why I've gone away from the modern diesels is the complexity. Too much crap to go wrong. One big DPF or HPFP fail out of warranty will wipe out your lifetime fuel savings. And, if you pick the right gasoline engines, they have improved.

On that note ...

From www.fuelly.com ... 2012 - 2014 Fiat Ducato (full size van), which are only available with diesel engines in Europe, seem to use 9 - 10 L/100 km.
2014 Ram ProMaster (same vehicle in North American market) with Chrysler Pentastar 3.6 gas engine, which happens to be mine, the lifetime trip-computer display is currently at 11.2 L/100 km. The diesel engine was a $6000 option. Not worth it!

True .... Gas is an easy choice if you don't want anything exciting to drive, once you start comparing 2.0 tdi vs. gas it gets a bit more difficult, especially if you want something nice under 35k all-in.

I just might keep it, and if things go wrong, I'll give it Mark's treatment ... LOL

Back
Top Bottom