Car/SUV buying advice | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car/SUV buying advice

I suppose, but ive never financed and never plan to.

at 0%, you'd be foolish not too. Why plunk down all your funds at once, when you can pay monthly with no penalty?

^^ (not withstanding the fact that some car makers give a significant cash rebate to cash buyers)

I believe the New Honda HRV will be out shortly. I think it's based on the Fit platform with AWD.

... In the end, I'm probably not going to get anything. I'll just run the matrix for another 5 years and see if 2020 models offer a flying or self driving car at that time. ;-)

What?!
We already gave you so much great advice, you better get a new car now!

:p

Mine was plagued with electrical issues from an early age. The real "fun" starts of course after the warranty expires at 80K .... I have one word of caution ... "emission" system, on any TDI as of 2010 model year it's very complicated. If you are short tripping a lot, there will be most likely maintenance costs which might quite shock you (not avoidable as I believe they are given by the way your driving patterns are and the not so clean diesel fuel we have here). Don't ask how I learned ... LOL

Mechanically it's a very good car, the engine is lovely and handling and steering offers just a great balance. If VW, could only do better in electrical department as well as some other areas ....

Already have this planned when it does happen. I will be removing the DPF and tuning the car. The customers and companies I have talked to claim 30% increase in fuel economy and since there is no DPF no future costly problems. The DPF delete and tuning is typically around $1200 which is similar to the factory replacement cost.

I don't short trip the car as my average drive is 100km.

I had two friends who had the previous gen VW Jetta. Both of them died at the same month. Both friends piled in a ton of money (almost 5 grand) and both cars ended up in the junkyard. I swear these German cars were designed to fail.

Anything German....stay away from it! There are three shops in the west part of GTA that specialize in automotive electronics repair ( I do business with all three), and have to tell you, their lots are full of German cars.
I just picked up our third CR-V and can't be any happier! Never had any problems with CR-v's, simple to maintain and very reliable ! Gen IV underwent some major changes: new comfortable seats, better fuel economy, quiet cabin and many more! I would stay away from 2015 with cvt for now...Great deals on left over 2014's right now, so don't wait too long...
I'm sure Jacky Truong@ Oakville Honda would love to sell you one....he's also a rider! We've been very happy with his service!

Already have this planned when it does happen. I will be removing the DPF and tuning the car. The customers and companies I have talked to claim 30% increase in fuel economy and since there is no DPF no future costly problems. The DPF delete and tuning is typically around $1200 which is similar to the factory replacement cost.

For about $2000, you can extend VW warranty to 240,000 km which covers DPF and HPFP problems (if you want to see a nightmare, research that problem, a failed fuel pump becomes a $10K repair).

You have to research any car before buying it. Always look up how a car electrical and transmission holds up over time.
I still drive my 1999 Acura TL. I tell you this thing still feels new. I test drove the newer TL’s are didn’t feel as comfortable.
The 1999 TL came with the 4 speed tranny which is bomb proof. The newer ones came with the 5-speed which blew up all the time.
Only downside is you gotta replace the timing belt every 100K.

These FORD cars that come with Eco-Boost scare me. The fuel system is under 2000 lbs of pressure!!!! A normal system is under 100 lbs of pressure.

If the main reason you're selling your Matrix now is because of money, you're going to lose a lot more money on depreciation of a newer vehicle than you would if you just drove the Matrix until it's dead. It's still got low mileage and reliability shouldn't be an issue.If you've got your eye on something new mostly for the sake of change I suggest you take a look at the CX-5. I've driven it an it's a great vehicle with good specs. In terms of reliability I'v got the CX-7 and I'm closing in on 170,000km's (owned it since new) and the only thing it's needed is brakes and a sensor (less than $1000 in maintenance not counting tires/oil).

Last edited:
Just put a deposit down on a model x. Delivery maybe early 2016. Can't be happier about it!
Yeah definitely gonna be awesome except it's probably out of the OP's price range (45k +?!)

Theyre supposed to annouced a "D" model... maybe a wagon?

Just bought our our sixth car, an Odyssey, it's the only thing that will fit three teenaged boys, while still reading in miles per gallon, rather than gallons per mile. We're probably going to donate the Venture to the Fire department to test out the jaws of life on, for a $500 tax receipt. It's got close to 220,000 km on it.

I like the Subarus. We had a '93 Legacy Turbo AWD, after our '92 Integra GSR was stolen. The manual shift seemed long to me though, so I got an automatic. It lasted us 10 years, and the boxer engine was still great, when finally we put it out of its misery.

Won't you get dinged for removing a pollution control device, aside from having to suck in all of that soot?

I would expect major crackdown on emissions tampering in the near future...

http://www.trucknews.com/regulation...ead-tampering-of-emissions-systems/1002145949

Won't you get dinged for removing a pollution control device, aside from having to suck in all of that soot?

[video=youtube;nJ4sexiO_hI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ4sexiO_hI[/video]

Possibly but if you drive normal and run a muffler the noise is almost non existent along with the black smoke. The new 2.0L TDi's are extremely efficient at burning the fuel to begin with. Not like the North American trucks that guys just dump a ton of fuel into to make power and roll coal out of their hickish stacks.

[video=youtube;nJ4sexiO_hI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ4sexiO_hI[/video]

Possibly but if you drive normal and run a muffler the noise is almost non existent along with the black smoke. The new 2.0L TDi's are extremely efficient at burning the fuel to begin with. Not like the North American trucks that guys just dump a ton of fuel into to make power and roll coal out of their hickish stacks.

I can still see a cloud of fine particles. It would be better to just buy something that works well.

I can still see a cloud of fine particles. It would be better to just buy something that works well.

It does work really well stock but like most things with a little tweaking it can work better.

How do you get past drive clean once you do that?

OBD2 vehicles are hooked up to a computer to see if there are any codes and if all the sensors work. With a proper tune everything shows normal readings.

There is no sniff test anymore...

Bingo

at 0%, you'd be foolish not too. Why plunk down all your funds at once, when you can pay monthly with no penalty?

^^ (not withstanding the fact that some car makers give a significant cash rebate to cash buyers)

If you believe that a dealership is financing anything to you at 0% then i have some ocean front property to sell you in Idaho.

They say they give you 0% but add in a **** load of fees, and jack up the price of the vehicle to make up the difference.

If you believe that a dealership is financing anything to you at 0% then i have some ocean front property to sell you in Idaho.

They say they give you 0% but add in a **** load of fees, and jack up the price of the vehicle to make up the difference.

I always wanted to live in Idaho :D

Your concept is staggering. You mean a business designed to make money isn't really giving me 0% out of the kindness of their hearts? I'm disappointed.

Learn the art of fine negotiation.

The financing is done by the automaker, not the dealer. The dealer doesn't care. Its not their money you are playing with.

Same with factory cash incentives. Take the multi thousand discount that the automaker offers, then squeeze the dealer even harder when making the deal.

And don't worry, they make tonnes of money. Even with rebates and 0% financing or they wouldn't do it.

I had two friends who had the previous gen VW Jetta. Both of them died at the same month. Both friends piled in a ton of money (almost 5 grand) and both cars ended up in the junkyard. I swear these German cars were designed to fail.

There is a reason German cars depreciation rates drop like a rock as soon as you drive them off the lot. Esp BMW.

Back
Top Bottom