Car/SUV buying advice | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car/SUV buying advice

By far my cheapest option is just keep the car I've got -- a 2009 Matrix with only 100k km on it.
I was just thinking about trading it in now because I can still get a good trade in amount for it; not much less than what I paid, not much lower than what private sellers are asking, and saves me a lot on taxes too.

I'd get something off-lease or a few years old for around $15k and be done with it.. but that's just my general outlook on daily drivers. I'm sure if I was rich I wouldn't care about the soundness of a vehicle 'investment' but the numbers just don't work on a new car, IMO. I can't imagine how people feel when they're 4 years into a 60 month loan, still making the same 'new car' payments on their now-used car.

I have a 2011 TDI Golf (Jetta) Wagon and it has been the best car I have ever owned. I've only had it for 8 months but just surpassed 40,000km of owning it and the only issue I have had is the passenger window switch failed which the dealer has replaced under warranty. I purchased it used with 60,000km from a gentleman who traded it in on a Toureg TDI.

Mine was plagued with electrical issues from an early age. The real "fun" starts of course after the warranty expires at 80K .... I have one word of caution ... "emission" system, on any TDI as of 2010 model year it's very complicated. If you are short tripping a lot, there will be most likely maintenance costs which might quite shock you (not avoidable as I believe they are given by the way your driving patterns are and the not so clean diesel fuel we have here). Don't ask how I learned ... LOL

Mechanically it's a very good car, the engine is lovely and handling and steering offers just a great balance. If VW, could only do better in electrical department as well as some other areas ....

Ended up going through the same debate as OP couple years back and ended up with a 2010 crv ( 2 years old at the time of purchase and had 46k)

Picked it up for 20k and change and dont regret it one bit. Has 96k now and not one problem. I use it as a daily driver, tow my bike
to the track and even took it to florida last year.
Its comfortable, reliable and not to sound preachy but the quality where ever you look is light years ahead of hyundai.

Second choice was the rav4 for me, but the interior was just hideous.

Mine was plagued with electrical issues from an early age. The real "fun" starts of course after the warranty expires at 80K .... I have one word of caution ... "emission" system, on any TDI as of 2010 model year it's very complicated. If you are short tripping a lot, there will be most likely maintenance costs which might quite shock you (not avoidable as I believe they are given by the way your driving patterns are and the not so clean diesel fuel we have here). Don't ask how I learned ... LOL

Mechanically it's a very good car, the engine is lovely and handling and steering offers just a great balance. If VW, could only do better in electrical department as well as some other areas ....

I'd have to that VW is off the list for me now anyway, not that it was really high up there.

I went to the VW on Dixie and they only had one golf wagon TDI left, a silver comfortline. It drove okay, but nothing great. It felt too small inside. I much prefer the way the RAV4 felt in comparison.

Then, to top it off, they were going to give me around $3500 less for the trade in than Toyota... they were talking $5k for a 2009 Matrix with only 100k km. That, and the comfortline is expensive. After trade in they still wanted over $400 a month for 80 months! Way too much for that car.

I had to laugh too when the sales guy started saying how German cars are far superior to Japanese cars (the sales guy was Chinese), and how they have much better ratings. So I asked why on the JD Power list, VW is near the bottom for reliability and dependability while Toyota and Honda are at the top? He didn't really have an answer.

Anyway, in the next few days I will have a look at Honda, Hyundai, Mazda, etc.

I'd get something off-lease or a few years old for around $15k and be done with it.. but that's just my general outlook on daily drivers. I'm sure if I was rich I wouldn't care about the soundness of a vehicle 'investment' but the numbers just don't work on a new car, IMO. I can't imagine how people feel when they're 4 years into a 60 month loan, still making the same 'new car' payments on their now-used car.

I don't totally disagree, but buying used can be a gamble as well.

No warranty, previous owner issues, people generally don't take care of their cars mechanically (esp Lease returns), hidden accident repair, upcoming maintenance work $$$ timing belt, water pump, tune up, etc.

Some here have been mentioning buying a used Nissan Rogue. Do a search, the Nissan CVT's are extremely extremely trouble plagued. Would you want to gamble on buying a used Rogue and then paying thousands in repairs for tranny work? This is beside the point, that generally Nissan quality is pretty low ranked overall compared to all the other Japanese brands.

If one is planning to keep the car for a long time, takes reasonable care of it, I'd buy new and be happy with it..... even 4 years later. ( I kept my last "new" car for 16 years).

The only issue that I immediately see with the Hyundai is the depreciation. The cars drops in value very quickly. It would be better just to get a used one that is 3 years old. No one in their right mind is going to pay top dollar for a used Hyundai.

Mazda depreciation is also significant.
I thought about that when buying my Hyundai, in the long run I figured with 0% financing + luxury features, I'd still be on top after 5yrs. I 've got 5yrs warranty also. The price I' d pay for it would reflect the depreciated value in the long run.

In terms of reliability my car presently has 31k. Been pretty solid except for the driving feedback. Drove all the way to Wyoming & back, rock solid. Would recommend

Alright.

Subaru Outback
Crosstrek is too small..its basically an impreza with a lift kit.
Outbacks are more capable and you get other engine choices and its actually "powerful" (i've seen it in action at an Auto-x winter event and it had mind boggling times)
I've had a subaru an 06 subaru impreza for the past since 2009. Except for one MAJOR trip to the mechanic (due to an old problem the older engines had which was very well known and common) it's all been fine and dandy...and oh the fun and confidence in snow is worth while!

Golf Wagon TDI.
Just because.

If the main reason you're selling your Matrix now is because of money, you're going to lose a lot more money on depreciation of a newer vehicle than you would if you just drove the Matrix until it's dead. It's still got low mileage and reliability shouldn't be an issue.If you've got your eye on something new mostly for the sake of change I suggest you take a look at the CX-5. I've driven it an it's a great vehicle with good specs. In terms of reliability I'v got the CX-7 and I'm closing in on 170,000km's (owned it since new) and the only thing it's needed is brakes and a sensor (less than $1000 in maintenance not counting tires/oil).

I'd have to that VW is off the list for me now anyway, not that it was really high up there.

I went to the VW on Dixie and they only had one golf wagon TDI left, a silver comfortline. It drove okay, but nothing great. It felt too small inside. I much prefer the way the RAV4 felt in comparison.

Then, to top it off, they were going to give me around $3500 less for the trade in than Toyota... they were talking $5k for a 2009 Matrix with only 100k km. That, and the comfortline is expensive. After trade in they still wanted over $400 a month for 80 months! Way too much for that car.

I had to laugh too when the sales guy started saying how German cars are far superior to Japanese cars (the sales guy was Chinese), and how they have much better ratings. So I asked why on the JD Power list, VW is near the bottom for reliability and dependability while Toyota and Honda are at the top? He didn't really have an answer.

Anyway, in the next few days I will have a look at Honda, Hyundai, Mazda, etc.

As you can see from my post, I don't think too highly of VW's reliability or maintenance costs after warranty experience ..... Having said that, comparing how Matrix or RAV4 drives versus Golf TDI? You are not a car guy or you simple didn't care to notice the huge difference. Starting with engine response, steering feel, suspension ... Not even close. Toyota is not the only one delivering reliable boxes on 4 feels.

If you don't care about how it drives or what's under the hood, you have many many options ...

Last edited:
Mazda CX-5.

I haven't tried that, but if the did the same job as they did with the 3, it's a good choice. The only skeleton in the closet is the rust .... It's hard to find one Mazda on the street without a spot or two or many ... I'm watching it now, you know why .... LOL

As you can see from my post, I don't think too highly of VW's reliability or maintenance costs after warranty experience ..... Having said that, comparing how Matrix or RAV4 drives versus Golf TDI? You are not a car guy or you simple didn't care to notice the huge difference. Starting with engine response, steering feel, suspension ... Not even close. Toyota is not the only one delivering reliable boxes on 4 feels.

If you don't care about how it drives or what's under the hood, you have many many options ...
I was more comparing the feel of the cage, not the response of the components. I felt cramped in the TDI, and my wife said the same thing from the passenger seat -- she said the Toyota was more comfortable to her just riding in it.

We were also referring to the design. Sure the golf wagon has a lot of cargo room, but the door opening is actually small, I'd say even smaller than the matrix, so I'd be limited to what I could fit in.

The main reason I'm not going vw though, is they wanted $32k above the trade in, and I don't think it's worth it. The rav4 is $18k plus the trade in, for example.

In the end, I'm probably not going to get anything. I'll just run the matrix for another 5 years and see if 2020 models offer a flying or self driving car at that time. ;-)

I was more comparing the feel of the cage, not the response of the components. I felt cramped in the TDI, and my wife said the same thing from the passenger seat -- she said the Toyota was more comfortable to her just riding in it.

We were also referring to the design. Sure the golf wagon has a lot of cargo room, but the door opening is actually small, I'd say even smaller than the matrix, so I'd be limited to what I could fit in.

The main reason I'm not going vw though, is they wanted $32k above the trade in, and I don't think it's worth it. The rav4 is $18k plus the trade in, for example.

In the end, I'm probably not going to get anything. I'll just run the matrix for another 5 years and see if 2020 models offer a flying or self driving car at that time. ;-)

My girl's 05 Matrix has been a good little buggy for a 100k. It's a bit sparse with crank windows and no cruise but, runs like a champ. Seeing some sun fade on the paint and discolour on the finish at the rear door handle.

My vw wagon has been trouble free for 100k with regular oil and maintenance.

Agree with you on the narrow cabin and low to the ground. My lady prefers the more upright view from the Matrix.

I would say Hamilton VW is great to work with but considering your experience" I wouldn't give vw another shot.

I like the RAV4 or new Rogue.

Anything German....stay away from it! There are three shops in the west part of GTA that specialize in automotive electronics repair ( I do business with all three), and have to tell you, their lots are full of German cars.
I just picked up our third CR-V and can't be any happier! Never had any problems with CR-v's, simple to maintain and very reliable ! Gen IV underwent some major changes: new comfortable seats, better fuel economy, quiet cabin and many more! I would stay away from 2015 with cvt for now...Great deals on left over 2014's right now, so don't wait too long...
I'm sure Jacky Truong@ Oakville Honda would love to sell you one....he's also a rider! We've been very happy with his service!

Last edited:
I don't totally disagree, but buying used can be a gamble as well.

No warranty, previous owner issues, people generally don't take care of their cars mechanically (esp Lease returns), hidden accident repair, upcoming maintenance work $$$ timing belt, water pump, tune up, etc.

Some here have been mentioning buying a used Nissan Rogue. Do a search, the Nissan CVT's are extremely extremely trouble plagued. Would you want to gamble on buying a used Rogue and then paying thousands in repairs for tranny work? This is beside the point, that generally Nissan quality is pretty low ranked overall compared to all the other Japanese brands.

If one is planning to keep the car for a long time, takes reasonable care of it, I'd buy new and be happy with it..... even 4 years later. ( I kept my last "new" car for 16 years).

If you buy a car thats 2-3 years old with low mileage you can save about 1/3 of the cost of the car.
Mileage is low enough that the car only needed oil changes basically, and you can look up if it was done at the dealership.

Why wouldn't you want someone else to take a 10K+ hit instead of yourself?

If you buy a car thats 2-3 years old with low mileage you can save about 1/3 of the cost of the car.
Mileage is low enough that the car only needed oil changes basically, and you can look up if it was done at the dealership.

Why wouldn't you want someone else to take a 10K+ hit instead of yourself?

If you're financing, a 0 or 1.9% rate can really make up for much of that hit over a bank loan at 6% or whatever

Back
Top Bottom