Car/SUV buying advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car/SUV buying advice

Motorcycle Mike

So the bride and I are considering trading in the 09 Matrix while we can still get a decent buck for it, but am having a hard time narrowing down the choices.

Requirements: We must have a hatchback/wagon setup as we like to have the extra space to move things when needed. We want reasonable fuel mileage. We don't drive the car very much though, so fuel economy isn't a huge factor. We are planning to keep this new car for a long time, so reliability and dependability are key. Might tow a trailer with a single motorcycle very occasionally. Price point of somewhere around $25k to $28k is about right.

On the short list:

Rav4: drove one today, and I liked it. The price isn't too bad. What I don't like is that there is nothing special about it... it is a very common car, and I don't find it much to talk about, but that might be a good thing.

Subaru: Considering a Crosstrek, but second guessing that due the the number of complaints I've read about burning oil and reports of it being under powered with a 2l. Also considering an Outback or Forester, but haven't really looked at either or researched them yet.

Golf Wagon TDI: And on a lark, somewhat considering a Golf Wagon. Hesitant because we prefer a taller vehicle. The excellent fuel mileage would be a bonus, but isn't a necessity considering how much we drive. Hesitant going to VW due to the past reliability and dependability issues they have had.

Out of those choices, which would you choose and why? Which would you stay away from?
What other make/models should I consider?
I don't want any of the smaller hatches like Fit or Yaris. Matrix has suited our needs, but been there, done that, want something better. I don't want something that is expensive to maintain or needs premium fuel, etc,.

I am leaning more towards the Japanese makes. I was briefly considering getting a small truck, but the only option these days is the Tacoma and I think it is getting a bit old (long time without many updates). I know that Chevy and GM are coming out with a new small truck this fall, but I don't really want a first year model, I don't really need a truck that much, and I am not sure I am ready to trust GM in terms of reliability or dependability.

We want reasonable fuel mileage......... so reliability and dependability are key. Might tow a trailer with a single motorcycle very occasionally. Price point of somewhere around $25k to $28k is about right.

What other make/models should I consider?

I am leaning more towards the Japanese makes. .

Lucky for you, Honda just refreshed the 2015 CR-V. It now has the most excellent direct injected engine and CVT from the Accord (check the web, you won't find a single negative review of the Accord from any reputable car website). Needless to say, it gets even better fuel economy, power, drivability, and the world class Honda reliability you are seeking. They improved the interior, and recalibrated the suspension, shocks and wheels for better ride and handling. Take one for a boot.

Mazda CX-5 is a great runner up. Esp with the manual.

Happy shopping!

JEZ01se.jpg

A friend has a rav4, he likes it and fuel mileage is decent.

Never heard much good about a crosstrek, you are better off with an impreza, the crosstrek makes things worse for style. Outback and forester have been ruined, they are huge boxes now.

Golf Wagon, meh. Drove one, nothing special. I like golf or tiguan better. With twin clutch VW automatics, you can't tow trailers at all, so stay away from those.

Honda sales people are the biggest ***** I have run into. They believe they have the best vehicles in the world and if you bother comparing to others you are stupid. Their vehicles aren't bad, but I wouldn't call them the clear leaders at anything now (and in some segments (like compact) they are way behind).

Based on you wanting a taller vehicle with space, I would look mazda cx5 first, Hyundai Santa fe 2nd (worse fuel economy with Santa fe, probably similar pricing, slightly larger vehicle).

Last edited:
santa fe for the money looks pretty good. Unless you drive a lot the diesel will not be in your favor. CX5 has potential. I just cant warm up to Subaru , I don't know why. I also like Honda cars and have owned a couple, but I do hate the salesman.

Lucky for you the honda wasn't on your list. I'd stay away from the suby personally due to the mentioned issues. The tdi is nice but if you're not driving a lot you may not feel all the benefits of having a diesel. That said they're fantastic for mileage and would pull a bike on a trailer with 0 issue. The regular golf with the 2.5 isn't horrible but perhaps the tiguan would be something to look at? It's a little taller and the interior lay out may suit the mini suv want of your choice? The cx5 would be a good buy too imo.

My parents are on their 3rd Nissan Rogue and swear by them. Zero issues, fantastic seats, but the fuel economy on the previous generation. May be better with the new styling (which I really like) but I'm not sure. I like driving the car although the cvt takes some getting used to.

CRV or Rav. Tiguan is overpriced.

Not really a fan of the ride quality in the CRV's and RAV4's. If I was in the market for something similar, I'd go for the Nissan Rogue. Great bang for the buck, great ride quality and better fuel consumption than the Honda's and Toyota's. You can get a recent model with a sunroof (if you care) and leather interior for well below your budget.

Here's a nice one:
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/...1359771/?ursrc=pl&urp=6&urm=8&showcpo=ShowCPO

Last edited:
I never really considered the CX-5 because for some reason I thought it needed premium, now I see it doesn't. Which small SUV needs premium (and therefore I want to avoid)? Was it the Ford Escape with ecoboost?

About the Tiguan... I think I would only go VW if I got a diesel, and even then I am hesitant over the millions of serious problems in the past few decades.

The number one criteria on my list is I don't want to buy a headache. I want to buy a car I drive, do regular maintenance, and don't think about.

I'm going to check out Honda and Mazda.

santa fe for the money looks pretty good. Unless you drive a lot the diesel will not be in your favor. CX5 has potential. I just cant warm up to Subaru , I don't know why. I also like Honda cars and have owned a couple, but I do hate the salesman.
Wife bought the 2013 Santa Fe and I am amazed with that car (don't have time to write all details, will later)

All of those are great choices.

I just got a new Mazda5 with a big rebate on a cash deal. My friend was pushing me to test drive the Golf wagon (he is a VW fan boy), and I was about to do it, but the seating capacity in the Mazda5 (six people) is more useful to me now. Also, the Mazda5 is just a cheaper car, the Golf wagon can get over $30,000 quickly (plus taxes), so I would had to finance it.

To me, the manual transmission in the Mazda5 is a big deal. I mean, it is nothing special, but I am really enjoying it. I had before a Toyota Highlander Hybrid with a CVT and it was so good mechanically, but it was "zombie driving". Pure mindless driving. You fall asleep driving a Highlander with CVT.

Would I buy another SUV with CVT? Sure, but for now I'll avoid them.

Wife bought the 2013 Santa Fe and I am amazed with that car (don't have time to write all details, will later)

I might have to stop in at Hyundai and see what they offer. They have some amazing deals on financing and a long warranty to boot. I'm still leery of the Hyundai name though... even though they apparently changed their game plan and are much higher quality now, I think their resale value still suffers due to their past reputation.

I am not impressed with Honda's website. It seems to throw all kinds of numbers around as if they are making it up as they are going along.

I might have to stop in at Hyundai and see what they offer. They have some amazing deals on financing and a long warranty to boot. I'm still leery of the Hyundai name though...
Honestly so was I when she mentioned it - I gave her the high eyebrow, however I know that she spent months researching (she is like that) before even considering. We test drove a bunch of "same class" SUVs and end up with the Santa Fe.

I mean her first choice was the fully loaded Grand Cherokee but considering the features she was going to get with the Santa fe, the 30k less sold us.

I have towed my bike with it, I have slept in it, etc - for the price tag you can't get any better. Who would have known I like air and heated seats and heated steering wheel lol

I'm still leery of the Hyundai name though... even though they apparently changed their game plan and are much higher quality now, I think their resale value still suffers due to their past reputation.

Hyundai's come a long way from their Pony days and if you're planning to keep it for a long time, resale isn't much of a factor. Check them out.

I'd choose something used that isn't $30,000...

I'd choose something used that isn't $30,000...

By far my cheapest option is just keep the car I've got -- a 2009 Matrix with only 100k km on it.
I was just thinking about trading it in now because I can still get a good trade in amount for it; not much less than what I paid, not much lower than what private sellers are asking, and saves me a lot on taxes too.

By far my cheapest option is just keep the car I've got -- a 2009 Matrix with only 100k km on it.
I was just thinking about trading it in now because I can still get a good trade in amount for it; not much less than what I paid, not much lower than what private sellers are asking, and saves me a lot on taxes too.
The Matrix has always been a high demand vehicle. You won't have a problem either way you decide to get rid of it.

I have a 2011 TDI Golf (Jetta) Wagon and it has been the best car I have ever owned. I've only had it for 8 months but just surpassed 40,000km of owning it and the only issue I have had is the passenger window switch failed which the dealer has replaced under warranty. I purchased it used with 60,000km from a gentleman who traded it in on a Toureg TDI.

As mentioned above the DSG tranny does not have a tow rating in North America however in Europe it carries a 3000lbs tow rating which is way higher then any other car in it's class. I asked my dealer why the difference and was told it's do to the lack of driver education here and the likely hood that people would overload the vehicle. Hitches are available for them from many reputable sources and I do tow with mine with no issues. The VW lineup comes with quite a few options at a lower price point then most other cars. You also get the fit and finish that German cars are known for which is a plus in my book.

I've also owned a Suabaru product (08 WRX) and I can say since that car spent at least a week a month at the dealership we got to drive the Crosstrek quite a few times as a rental over the past 12months. The Crosstrek was also a piece of garbage. Fuel economy was not great and the car itself drove like a car from the early 90's. Interior space inside though was extremely spacious and functional. The problems with the Subaru actually caused my wife to trade it in on a 2015 VW Golf Hatchback TSi. We are currently enjoying it as much as my Wagon.

I might have to stop in at Hyundai and see what they offer. They have some amazing deals on financing and a long warranty to boot. I'm still leery of the Hyundai name though... even though they apparently changed their game plan and are much higher quality now, I think their resale value still suffers due to their past reputation.

I am not impressed with Honda's website. It seems to throw all kinds of numbers around as if they are making it up as they are going along.

The only issue that I immediately see with the Hyundai is the depreciation. The cars drops in value very quickly. It would be better just to get a used one that is 3 years old. No one in their right mind is going to pay top dollar for a used Hyundai.

Mazda depreciation is also significant.

Hyundais look great on paper. But their driving experience leaves much to be desired.

They seriously need work in the chassis dept. Their long term quality is still suspect.

They are heading in the right direction with the new Genesis sedan by hiring Lotus engineers to help with the ride and handling. Perhaps in future model years, the great engineering will trickle down.

Sent from my Z30

Back
Top Bottom