Adding some features | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adding some features

bakaboy

Old, Slow and Grumpy
Site Supporter
After a couple of years of riding my basically stock 2005 R6, I have decided to treat myself to some adds.

Thoughts on mfrs etc?

1. Brakes. I'm old and I fade as the race goes on as my forearm just can't squeeze that OEM brake as hard. Recommended replacement?

2. Quickshifter. Just looking to lose that little bit more time per lap.

3. Exhaust.

Any comments or experience is welcome.

Come pick my brain at the track! Much easier than typing all this. haha.

1. If you haven't recently put new fluid in I would do that.
After that you could look into some braided lines, or perhaps even a nice master cylinder that can reduce the lever effort required. I have been using an Accosatto for a few years and am very pleased with it. Although the rest of my braking system has been heavily upgraded too.
http://bluestreakracing.ca/brake-clutch-master-cylinders/accossato/accosato-master-cylinders.html

2. Do you have any fuel management on the bike yet? If you are already using a Power Commander then adding a Dynojet QS might be the simplest method. Bazzaz and HM both offer stand alone units. Im using a Bazzaz QS in the ZFI TC system but I had some problems with it all year, I had the QS switch replaced and its working normally now. I have heard of similar issues with HM.

3. I am partial to Hindle, the exhaust I got from them is super light, fits extremely well and makes good power. They are a Canadian company and support Canadian racing.

Caboose

Thanks for your thoughts.

I replace the brake fluid regularly and bleed them. I will look into the link.

I don't have a PC and was thinking of adding it along with the QS.

And you are very correct on your points for Hindle.

It's a winter upgrade project so I am just getting going on my research. Thanks for the points.

And yes it would be easier at the track to discuss but last weekend with 5 bikes and 6 entries I was a little overwhelmed. And to tell you the truth it takes me to the end of the season before I start feeling good with my lap times and want to start thinking of maybe squeaking a little more out of the bike.

Come pick my brain at the track! Much easier than typing all this. haha.

1. If you haven't recently put new fluid in I would do that.
After that you could look into some braided lines, or perhaps even a nice master cylinder that can reduce the lever effort required. I have been using an Accosatto for a few years and am very pleased with it. Although the rest of my braking system has been heavily upgraded too.
http://bluestreakracing.ca/brake-clutch-master-cylinders/accossato/accosato-master-cylinders.html

2. Do you have any fuel management on the bike yet? If you are already using a Power Commander then adding a Dynojet QS might be the simplest method. Bazzaz and HM both offer stand alone units. Im using a Bazzaz QS in the ZFI TC system but I had some problems with it all year, I had the QS switch replaced and its working normally now. I have heard of similar issues with HM.

3. I am partial to Hindle, the exhaust I got from them is super light, fits extremely well and makes good power. They are a Canadian company and support Canadian racing.

I would also suggest a pad upgrade for the brakes but other than that I've got nothing to add to Caboose's post.

I love my braketech cast iron rotors. Less effort to slow in a hurry. And gonna go with ohlins interals and shock. Only heard good things about them.

Unless you're 135lbs and happen to be the exact spec Yamaha built the bike around, I would say some Ohlins/Elka/etc suspension bits should be in the top of that list no?

The biggest advantage of the QS for me (being slow) was to save me some effort and in turn end up less tired at the end of the race. I have used the HM QS as well as the Bazzaz and they both work really well.

Same with the 1/6 turn throttle, I know Yamahas are already pretty good but nothing like a good quick turn throttle to save effort and also lap times, I found myself sometimes not being at full throttle, I thought I was but I wasn't until i put the QTT.

Caboose

Thanks for your thoughts.

I replace the brake fluid regularly and bleed them. I will look into the link.

I don't have a PC and was thinking of adding it along with the QS.

And you are very correct on your points for Hindle.

It's a winter upgrade project so I am just getting going on my research. Thanks for the points.

And yes it would be easier at the track to discuss but last weekend with 5 bikes and 6 entries I was a little overwhelmed. And to tell you the truth it takes me to the end of the season before I start feeling good with my lap times and want to start thinking of maybe squeaking a little more out of the bike.

Last edited:
I am happy with my Ferodo Race pads. Very consistent feel where as I found EBC HH's sometimes a little inconsistent.

If you plan on doing exhaust & PowerCommander, their DynoJet QS is plug and play as already mentioned. PK also makes a cheaper QS that is plug and play with the Power Commander as well. I have that one, and after a season of track days, so far so good. Its a great little gadget to have.

Bakaboy!

Well we know who's going to have fun this off-season :)

I know the piggy-back units (PC/Bazzaz) are very popular but there's a lot of good press out there on reprogramming the ECU. Also for the money one might question putting traction control on an older bike... you may not want to put that kind of money into it?

Riders Choice does some great dyno tuning with their spacecraft-quality Bazzaz Principia dyno. They say it's a real game changer regardless of the parts that are on the bike. Can't wait to let Jeff get his hands on my 750 this winter.

JG

Back
Top Bottom