Cross country with the kid June 2015 | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross country with the kid June 2015

He sat on the FZ-09 and preferred the FZ-08 as well.
Not sure which seat he is getting/got.
I was very pleased with the Sargent I got for the KLR in Australia.
Bit lower and surprising comfort given it looks like a flat board.
i may have missed it somewhere in here, but are you both buying new bikes for the trip?

He has his 2013 FZ-08 I bought a 2010 Wee for this trip nicely kitted out last fall. $6k with $2k+ of farkles ( the sides cases were $1100 ) - literally everything I would do and fresh Heidenau's. First time I bought a motorcycle on a credit card. :rolleyes:

We both put new seats on he put a top case.

What might have mislead you ....he got a fantastic deal on his 08 - $6999 new because the 09 had just come in and the dealer bought the last of the 08s from Yamaha. We got the last one as someone's financing fell through.

Considering we got $5300 for his 2011 SV-650s he did more than okay.

When he went in to pick up the 08 ...he tried the 09.

Last edited:
Went with the Shadseat after getting a very nice deal from them for the top case and the seat because they didn't have the gold trim available. The Corbin has fitting issues with the FZ8 and turned me off from them as well as the fact it changes the seating position to a more relaxed one, still want my sporty seat!

Love the mounting system for my bike from them, just replace the passenger seat with the mount and I can put whatever shad case I want on it, no big mounting brackets required.
618909.jpg
shad_f10.jpg

Still haven't decided on windscreen, but looks like the Givi one is the one I'm going to go with.
phpla3VIk.jpg

Also went ahead and replaced the stock headlight with a projector kit for the trip as the high beams do nothing stock.

edebyrym.jpg

Low%20Beam-600x400.jpg

high%20beam2-600x400.jpg

Last edited:
Went with the Shadseat after getting a very nice deal from them for the top case and the seat because they didn't have the gold trim available. The Corbin has fitting issues with the FZ8 and turned me off from them as well as the fact it changes the seating position to a more relaxed one, still want my sporty seat!

Love the mounting system for my bike from them, just replace the passenger seat with the mount and I can put whatever shad case I want on it, no big mounting brackets required.

Still haven't decided on windscreen, but looks like the Givi one is the one I'm going to go with.

Also went ahead and replaced the stock headlight with a projector kit for the trip as the high beams do nothing stock.

Low%20Beam-600x400.jpg

high%20beam2-600x400.jpg

Hard to compare the difference between low beam and high beam when they are not taken in the same place. I went with additional lights for better night riding with increased range. Twisted throttle has Denali light kits, various lights for various needs if you are looking for more.

Hard to compare the difference between low beam and high beam when they are not taken in the same place. I went with additional lights for better night riding with increased range. Twisted throttle has Denali light kits, various lights for various needs if you are looking for more.

I'll keep these in mind if I need even more lighting, thanks.

Finally the goodies arrived, felt like christmas!

Was a pain in the butt to get on, but the whole system is very sharp looking, light, and lots of cargo space.

qKfHJaM.jpg

Af42r3BztDfWDHn0S6aBV_YqzGhlTBdgaWpy-fdCyzZw8kL2hV97CHo55Iym2k8IRL5XXoj7hFo=s0-d-e1-ft

Just need few things installed at the shop (Front springs, SS lines, headlights, tires) and I'm good to go.

Last edited:
not sure why you are taking the ferry, I understand Chicago avoidance (bin-dere-done-dat); but it takes you out of your way and the ride from the other side is nothing special - I don't see North Dakota on your route which is good as the fracking out there makes it, well, a fracking nightmare...I would go via Indiana and duck under Chicago...but hey, looks great.

Not taking the ferry ....not riding west at all.

Flying the bikes to Vancouver instead. Will only plot the return when we figure out where we are near the end of the trip.
Deal to Vancouver is too good to pass on

Only...one caution. Insulin is *NOT* easy to come by along the way. Was in Coudersport in September - such a crappy summer, but Sept was nice. Arrived at the motel to discover I left my meds at home. there's a hospital across the road from the Mill Stream... No problem eh? First gotta see a doctor to get a script $200.00!! When I go to Shoppers, I get three boxes at a time (5 viles/box) I would only qualify for one vile as a "temporary" fix 'cause I am Canadian and Doctor would not be willing to script anything more. #300 units in the vile - I take 30 units three times a day. That would last 3 days and I am 6 hours away from home. I decide to ride home and save the $200 - but i was ******. Make plans.

Yeah - we are aware of the issue thanks. He has a portable refrigeration pack and a good part of the trip is in Canada

Only...one caution. Insulin is *NOT* easy to come by along the way. Was in Coudersport in September - such a crappy summer, but Sept was nice. Arrived at the motel to discover I left my meds at home. there's a hospital across the road from the Mill Stream... No problem eh? First gotta see a doctor to get a script $200.00!! When I go to Shoppers, I get three boxes at a time (5 viles/box) I would only qualify for one vile as a "temporary" fix 'cause I am Canadian and Doctor would not be willing to script anything more. #300 units in the vile - I take 30 units three times a day. That would last 3 days and I am 6 hours away from home. I decide to ride home and save the $200 - but i was ******. Make plans.

Yikes. That is the one thing I quadruple check before heading out. I do not go anywhere without insulin on hand and knowing without question that it is packed.

Not taking the ferry ....not riding west at all.

Flying the bikes to Vancouver instead. Will only plot the return when we figure out where we are near the end of the trip.
Deal to Vancouver is too good to pass on

I think that's a great decision to fly the bikes to Vancouver, I may do the same this summer to get down to California. I did the ride from Toronto to Colorado and I will try to avoid doing that again in any way possible.

How do you feel about the stock seat being up to the task?

I assume this refers to the FZ. The seat on my 06 FZ6 was brutal. I doubt I could have done 560 a day for 23 days.

Hey MacDoc, are you guys planning on getting throttle locks? (Maybe I missed it in the thread) That might help substantially with comfort.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...uzuki-vstrom-dl650-2004-2011-dl1000-2002-2013

I imagine the FZ8 must be more comfortable than the FZ-09. I briefly owned the FZ-09 and had to sell it because it was so uncomfortable. I grew tired of trying different seats, messing around with suspension etc.

Is there any reason you guys are not camping? You might end up saving a lot of money.

Money is not an issue - we must have a fridge for insulin...I'm too old to ride distance and sleep out....

pick one or all :D
Hey it's 50th anniversary jaunt ( 50 years of riding for me ) and I have lots of travel points for motels.

Kid found the FZ-09 less comfortable than his 08 tho he was only on it briefly.

Seats are always a problem

I have Karoka and palm throttle - would never tour without tho I don't have a throttle lock on the KLR - couple of those long 440 km days ended with a sore shoulder using just the palm throttle.

Got 660 k in today on the Burgman - nice to back on a road bike - we swapped bikes today - BMW 650 and the 100km on that was gruesome only for lack of any throttle relief.
Strong return spring ..even buddy knows he should have something on it but rarely does distance,

Perfect day and we had fun on the Cook Highway along the Pacific and Range Roads - Rex and Kuranda.....
Road to Cooktown a bit boring with a few fun stretches - big sweeps with elevation changes (9% grades with sweeps )

Long run to have coffee but also caught the museum... 3rd time lucky... it was open this time.

Kid has something for his throttle.

Something I found that is very cheap and works well is this:
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/productpage.aspx?productid=843

Simple little thing you put on your throttle and it has enough pressure when in place to hold the throttle and let you relax your hand for a bit. It is not perfect, can take a few minor adjustments to get it right but it does work. Next GS I buy will certainly have cruise control, but till then this cheap device works well.

Something I found that is very cheap and works well is this:
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/productpage.aspx?productid=843

Simple little thing you put on your throttle and it has enough pressure when in place to hold the throttle and let you relax your hand for a bit. It is not perfect, can take a few minor adjustments to get it right but it does work. Next GS I buy will certainly have cruise control, but till then this cheap device works well.

Cruise control would definitely be nice. I wonder why more manufactures don't add it on. KTM doesn't even have it on their 1190..... Need to get that 1290 Super Adventure

Trying to find a cruise control that works with Handguards + Oxford Heated Grips + Vibranators (anti-vibration inserts) ... Haaa Ha.

I should try that Go Cruise thing.

Back
Top Bottom