Cross country with the kid June 2015 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross country with the kid June 2015

MacDoc

Site Supporter
This of course is tentative as to detail route but want to collect suggestions.

23 days…that’s good.
I’ve got pretty big storage - he can have one side case and he will get a top case.
That way we each have the same storage.

Ball park 13,000 km…that’s 560 km a day roughly - should be fine.
This includes the best of the west coast and Utah then up to Jasper and Banff
$6-800 in fuel each
$2300 in accommodation
We'll start with fresh tires.

https://www.google.ca/maps?saddr=Se...sp=8&sz=9&via=1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,12,13,14,15&z=5

I figure getting him out of bed and on the road early will be the biggest challenge.
He's diabetic but will have what he needs with him and insulin is easy to come by along the way.

2012 FZ-08 and my 2010 Weestrom.

He'll snag a screen. Suggestions welcome on that but this looks very good.

MadStad Dual-Design Windshield System for the Yamaha FZ-07
"Jekyll and Hyde" system switches from Touring to Sport in just seconds!

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13002/.f
I'm impressed with the Madstaf on the Wee and that it's switchable with a fly screen is very good......but can't see one for the FZ-08 :(

Input welcome - it's a long ways off but prepping now. He's got his vacation booked so this will happen.

Last edited:
How do you feel about the stock seat being up to the task?

I can see the Veestrom making it through Lake Michigan, but I'm not so sure about the Yamaha?

Nice route. Enjoy.
If y'all find yourselves in Utah, head north, because you'll be close enough to Yellowstone Park........should not be ruled out.

I don't see a return leg. Say it ain't so.:sad11:

I did an extended tour with my dad back in the day, some of my fondest memories. I would reconsider your daily mileage. 500km days are fine when the weather is good, but get a couple of colder/rainy days back to back and it can be draining. Plus it doesn't leave a lot of time to pull over and enjoy the scenery or take pictures. I would use 500km as the max per day, not a must per day. Especially with his diabetes, planning around proper meals at specific times of day is crucial. My Mother is diabetic so I know what it is like to travel with.

Sitting on the top of a look out on the Cabott Trail with my Dad, just looking out over the water, not talking, just soaking it in is a memory I will always take with me. Make sure you take lots of "time outs" to make your own memories like that.

I did an extended tour with my dad back in the day, some of my fondest memories. I would reconsider your daily mileage. 500km days are fine when the weather is good, but get a couple of colder/rainy days back to back and it can be draining. Plus it doesn't leave a lot of time to pull over and enjoy the scenery or take pictures. I would use 500km as the max per day, not a must per day. Especially with his diabetes, planning around proper meals at specific times of day is crucial. My Mother is diabetic so I know what it is like to travel with.

Sitting on the top of a look out on the Cabott Trail with my Dad, just looking out over the water, not talking, just soaking it in is a memory I will always take with me. Make sure you take lots of "time outs" to make your own memories like that.

For me, on a bike trip, I like to do ~1000 to 1500 km/day riding roughly 6:00 to 23:00, stopping for breakfast/supper and gas. Use a camel bak for water and snacks during the day. Obviously there isn't a lot of time for sitting. I can see the advantage of taking more time to sit, but it is a very personal decision.

The most painful bike trip I ever went on was with coworkers who liked to do <300 km/day.

But, like life, a motorcycle trip is about the journey, not the destination.

Especially with his diabetes, planning around proper meals at specific times of day is crucial. My Mother is diabetic so I know what it is like to travel with.

appreciate the concern but he has type one diabetes... a world away from your mums. I'm just worried about him doing distance on a bike like the FZ-08...not your typical tourer.

Mind you he is kitting it out correctly....better seat, cool luggage etc and he loves the upgraded shocks and front end.

I usually cover 600-650 km ( longest is 950 ) on a day in a mix of twists and slabs...it's really the first two- three days I'm concerned about - IF he can handle two or three long boring days ( goes for me as well ) - then we will be in sniffing distance of some fun.
One reason for the Weee is the longer range and higher speed over the Burgman.
The Burgman just guzzles gas north of 120 kph tho it will sustain 140-150 indicated comfortably...just not very far and it eats tires. Kitted out as I have the Wee has more storage than the Burgman ( not by much ) but I will be the pack horse for both of us tho he will have at least 75 litres and we are not camping.
Not sure what range his has....we will determine that when I get back in May with a couple of cross border runs to PA or WV.

IF we leave very early and clear the border at Sarnia without a long wait ( Saturday so that is iffy ) then maybe we can get near the ferry first day.
Or we leave after his work on Friday and get a half day in with the long daylight hours. If his mom lets him leave work at 1 ish - that would be brilliant ( don't ask ) :rolleyes:

My preferred riding speed is in the 90-100 kph for touristing - can still hear each other ( Scalas ), time for head swivelling. 120 and up for the slab.
He's using a go pro and I can shoot stills from the saddle with the Gx1 but will also take breaks as his range will be far less than the Vstrom. Low on the list is spare fuel.

I still have to talk to him about goals....ie scenic versus riding. We will catch some of both but I suspect it's riding that rules so there will be some specific targets in that regard...Beartooth being one of them as far as I can see.

I'm not set to any schedule and will look at the weather as a factor - heat is enervating as Oomis shows and I know only too well....when it gets above 30 here I"m disinclined to ride and explore.

I think from reading, that Beartooth Pass will be a major first week goal and then decide from there depending on weather. If we can do Beartooth, some other areas up to Glacier in the first week would be good.
That's 3,000 km by slab to Beartooth. - bloody long hike just to get started....

My inclination at this point is to limit it to this area

to give up more flex and there are a number of regions that I have not seen ( Glacier National Park, Beartooth, Nelson, Kamloops then across to Banff and Jasper and then home via Canada.

That's roughly 8400 km which drops the daily average to 350 km.

That's if the US is hot.

If it's not and the Canadian route is chill - I can flip that over and do Utah and Colorado instead for a similar distance.

Skip the PCH this time as I've done it several times and while it's scenic there is a lot of traffic and he'll be itching to blitz it.

Off slab I'll trust the TomTom for the twists with some specific riding roads tied into the general route.

I'd prefer to avoid Chicago entirely and do the ferry across but not sure how that would impact. If the ferry can be done at end of day - that's ideal.

Specific not to be missed riding roads along that route is appreciated.

https://goo.gl/maps/TfpDp

We will take a day or two in the Yellowstone area as well tho likely more as a ride through as I have loads of pics.

Geez I hate GMaps for the modification cut off......grrrr.

Last edited:
First week

assume leave early Saturday

https://goo.gl/maps/PGFSb

get to the ferry for 8 pm ( 670 km )

ferry to Manitowoc - 4 hours

book the Super 8 ahead

UPER 8 MANITOWOC
4004 Calumet Avenue, off I-43, on Hwy 151 & 42, Manitowoc, WI 54220-5440 US
Check in:After 3:00 PM
Check out:Before 11:00 AM
TripAdvisor Rating

Based On 181 reviews

http://www.super8.com/hotels/wisconsin/manitowoc/super-8-manitowoc/hotel-overview

Be in bed by 11 pm ( switches to Central time )

day 2
841 KM to Sioux Falls…total slab.. just go west until we are tired.

Day 3 we will be in range of some interesting riding

It’s 1200 km to Beartooth from Sioux Falls…so if we do another 7-800 km day we will have decent places to explore on Day 4
We will have very long daylight hours.

day 4-5 Beartooth and Yellowstone…then figure where to go from there.

https://goo.gl/maps/kIQcW

Gonna bust this up into weeks so anything we should know about this first week??

You missed the best part of our country: the Yukon.

I Especially with his diabetes, planning around proper meals at specific times of day is crucial. My Mother is diabetic so I know what it is like to travel with.
I'm type 1 with an Insulin pump and a constant glucose meter, I don't need to eat at specific times with the control these give me, thanks for the concern though.

I'm type 1 with an Insulin pump and a constant glucose meter, I don't need to eat at specific times with the control these give me, thanks for the concern though.

Have they made glucose meters self adjust yet, or do you have to look at levels and manually adjust the pump?

Have fun on the awesome trip with your dad. I wish my dad still rode.

The Omnipod will semi-self adjust and the newer Accu-chek spirit, with the PDA type devices. You test with the device and it'll give a suggestion on how much insulin to delivery and ask if its ok, while calculating how much you have already insulin you have already taken and how many carbs you have eaten. Its really come a long way in a few years. Too much $$$$ though.

Thanks! Plan to have lots of fun riding with him :D

Mac we should sit down sometime and talk about this.
My ****** typing skills are limited lol.
Question...is there a reason why you are taking the Manitowoc ferry as appose to the Lake Express?

MiniMacDoc!!!!!....you don't even like Macs brat :D

Yukon is "okay" as was there last summer with GF but not for this trip.

Question...is there a reason why you are taking the Manitowoc ferry as appose to the Lake Express?

what is Lake Express?...trying to avoid Chicago is the reason

DIstance looks good and keeps us north instead of under the lake

open to suggestions

Ah I see

http://www.lake-express.com/schedule.html

Will have to compare but express might cost more
$160 for us plus the two bikes $88 on the express.

$200 on the http://www.ssbadger.com/schedule-fares/ including bikes

I like the idea we don't end up in Milwaukee either

Mind you with the extra sailing times if kid can get off Friday ....

Thinking this would be a nice break the next day = burn up a camera battery or two

dreaming-about-flying.jpg

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-museum/museum-collection/aircraft-collection

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...Venture_Museum-Oshkosh_Wisconsin.html#REVIEWS

Last edited:
Lake Express
http://www.lake-express.com/
About an hour faster crossing...this thing is fast.
About $15 - $20 bucks more
Way better depart times.
Newer boat if that matters....lands in Milwaukee so still far away from CHI.

Do you have any interest at all in doing an Iron Butt?
If so i have a route that will have you in Sheridan WY in 2 days :)

Back
Top Bottom