Bylaws - garden shed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bylaws - garden shed

inreb

Site Supporter
My neighbour is putting in a garden shed (10x10 it looks like) right close to the property line. I'm not sure if he's within code on that and don't really care to much but I see the trusses are now going up now and the slope is to my property. The truss ends are very close to the property line. Should I be concerned about the amount of rain fall diverted over into my property? He can't speak one word of Engrish, I'd like to know if he's putting eves on.

Municipality? Most bylaws I have seen don't require permit for <100 sq ft, but do require a 0.6 m setback from the property line. This would drop any water on his side of the fence. It may be worth confirming and trying to get him to move it a few feet onto his property.

Not a Municipal planner, so am not qualified to answer but here goes.

I believe each Municipality will have its own bylaws with respect to set-back from property line. Example:

• Must be built at least 0.6 metres (2 feet) from the property line on all sides. Play structures or pool enclosures must be built at least 1.2 metres (4 feet) from all property lines.
http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents...ing/Pages/Sheds-and-Accessory-Structures.aspx

But then you get into interpretations. To me, 0.6m means 0.6m from property line to building envelope (this includes overhang) and does NOT mean 0.6m from property line to shed foundation/pad.

I do not think the additional water onto your property from a shed roof will have any difference. Lot lines are usually the lowest point of elevation and designed to channel high volumes of water.

With all that being said, I wouldn't want my neighbours trusses/eves to be right on property line. It's an eye-sore for you, and how will he maintain that side of the shed?

Thanks guys. I did a quick eyeball along the property line, looks like the wall is around 2ft, maybe a bit less. Not overly concerned about a matter of inches. The overhang is well into the 2ft tho. Bummer. On some of the hard rains of late I think it would be annoying to see sheets of water directed at the base of my shop. His property is elevated as we live on a hill. I don't want to be the dick neighbour. I may have broken some bylaws myself and plan to keep a trailer sailboat in the future.

Would the extra water fall onto dirt or concrete on your side? Maybe just tell him you're worried about erosion and can he put a small evestrough on to divert water away.

Since the eve may be at the property line, bernie could install a length of eavestrough from his side.

If its an encroachment I don't think your being a dick, its a whole bunch easier to get it sorted now than down the road.

Talk to your neighbour, see if eves are going on and if not suggest that they do, and have the rainwater diverted correctly, nothing wrong in being a good neighbour...

if you start involving by-law, and they come out, guess what, anything he sees wrong will get written up and it will probably be hell for all of you that are not in compliance

Thanks guys, especially Gary with the down home solution. I engaged my neighbour using the time honoured sign language and contorted wtf? facial expressions. I'm satisfied evestrough will be installed. Not happy about the overhang, not happy about the crap in the backyard, not happy about the comings and goings into the night they sure know how to push the envelope. Oh well.

Retaliate by building a full size replica of the colossus of Rhodes next to his property. You can choose any historical monument, this isn't exclusive.

maybe set up a video camera? this could canadian shed of doom

LOL thats what I was thinking when he started. Looks so far so good.

Retaliate by building a full size replica of the colossus of Rhodes next to his property. You can choose any historical monument, this isn't exclusive.

I already have an eyesore in my backyard. That helps me keep things in context. Otherwise I'd be all over this guy. It just galls me for the sake of 6-12 inches the overhang would be legal or why not peak the roof the other way?

maybe set up a video camera? this could canadian shed of doom

Isn't the Shed of Doom posted on a Canadian forum? Out on the west coast?

I'd be worried... it could be Viva-La-Pita's latest addition

Thanks guys, especially Gary with the down home solution. I engaged my neighbour using the time honoured sign language and contorted wtf? facial expressions. I'm satisfied evestrough will be installed. Not happy about the overhang, not happy about the crap in the backyard, not happy about the comings and goings into the night they sure know how to push the envelope. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure there is legislation saying you can't discharge water onto someone else's property. Where do the eaves dump to?

LOL thats what I was thinking when he started. Looks so far so good.

I already have an eyesore in my backyard. That helps me keep things in context. Otherwise I'd be all over this guy. It just galls me for the sake of 6-12 inches the overhang would be legal or why not peak the roof the other way?

I'm going to assume a single slope roof? He may actually have been trying to be nice as not to put the higher side of the shed towards you. But I may just be an optimist.

I'd be worried... it could be Viva-La-Pita's latest addition

Been banging my head against the chipboard wall trying to come up with a suitably witty reply. Nothing yet. How are things down at Murder Central anyway?

Back
Top Bottom