yellow headlights - are these allowed? anyone use them? any good? | GTAMotorcycle.com

yellow headlights - are these allowed? anyone use them? any good?

They are illegal here as well:
Lamps required on motorcycles
(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

Are they illegal? Technically yes,
Would you ever get a ticket for them? Highly doubt it.

I believe the law states a white light from your headlamp...
Regardless, you have the same chance of getting a ticket as a properly aimed set of HID's.

I would assume the light output comparison between them and the 3000K HID's would be similar to a normal set of coated headlights vs HID's....
They will make the same color as HID's but not the same lumens.

Last edited:
a buddy got a ticket for having these in a car, they do turn heads though. i'm thinking of putting them on my own bike too. They help imo

cars can have "amber" coloured headlights
62. ( 1 )
...every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only...

62. ( 2 )Motorcycles must have one in the front which emits white light only.
-that doesn't say you can't have three lights in the front. Only that you must have a minimum of one, and that one must be white.

62. ( 4 ) That specific white light one must be visible from 150m
62. ( 6 ) That specific white light (by itself) must illuminate 110m of road in front

62. ( 9 ) you can have a total of 4 headlights, but the combined brightness must be under 300 candela

You can have a second or third which emits yellow(or amber)

there are restrictions about what colour can be projected forward (red not allowed etc) but yellow is allowed.

TL;DR you must have one white but you can have three more that are yellow.

-i am not an expert

There was a time when all fog lamps were yellow. What you gain in contrast you lose in brightness. If you want yellow lights, I suggest installing a couple of yellow fog lamps somewhere on your bike (it isn't that hard to do) but swapping out your headlight isn't worth the bother and the possible ticket.

If you have dual headlights put yellow in one and white in the other. problem solved

You'd be better off fitting some conspicuity lights to the forks or fairing. They give the penetration of yellow headlights but also offer a visibility triangle to oncoming drivers so that they recognize the motorcycle for what it is.
DSC02600.jpg

There was a time when all fog lamps were yellow. What you gain in contrast you lose in brightness. If you want yellow lights, I suggest installing a couple of yellow fog lamps somewhere on your bike (it isn't that hard to do) but swapping out your headlight isn't worth the bother and the possible ticket.

im thinking about getting a set of other lights and putting some amber lenses on them
http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/denali-dr1-single-intensity-led-light-kit

with these lenses on them perhaps
http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/2-denali-flood-beam-snap-on-lens-filters-for-denali-dr1-amber-or-clear

If you have dual headlights put yellow in one and white in the other. problem solved

ive thought about that but i only have a single headlights. in the future i think i will do that. as a city rider, ill probably turn my highbeam into an alert/emergency beam

You'd be better off fitting some conspicuity lights to the forks or fairing. They give the penetration of yellow headlights but also offer a visibility triangle to oncoming drivers so that they recognize the motorcycle for what it is.
DSC02600.jpg

ive order Photon Blaster from skene designs
http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/PB_Features.shtml

i doubt they will be as bright as real headlights but they will be used as turn signals and have an alert feature. i dont think this will be enough though

so what exactly is a headlight? is it a bulb? could just 1 led be considered a headlight? many lights seem to be clusters of several leds, making them headlights.

or is a headlights one because it has reached a certain brightness? or size of its bulb/led/housing?

A "headlamp" has to comply with certain standards in order to be properly called that. In Canada, that standard is called CMVSS 108. In the USA, it is called FMVSS 108. There is another, different, standard used in Europe. These standards cover all vehicle lighting, not just headlamps. Happy searching and reading.

Brief summary: The lamp has to emit a certain amount of light in a certain colour range and in a specific pattern, and there are patterns defined for "low beam" and "high beam". It doesn't matter what the light source is (filament, HID capsule, LED whether single or a combination of several) as long as the end result meets the technical standards set out for it.

Yeah, that would work. You don't have to go yellow either. Since they are fog lamps you can go any colour, blue, purple, etc. I guess yellow is a bit more professional looking though.

Back
Top Bottom