New Rider, Just got my M2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, Just got my M2

GraemeDitner

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and fairly new to riding. I currently have a 2007 CBR125, however I am looking to upgrade to something in the 250 - 300cc range.
I am finding it difficult to decide what would be best for my second bike. I have been looking at 2 used V-Star 250, One is a bobber, the other is original.
I have also been looking at a few ninja 250's as well since they are on the lighter side and I am not a big guy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or anyone who knows of anything for sale in the $3000 range.

Thank you.

Thank you for the ad.
I did see that one listed, however the close to 12,000KM's scare me a little. Is that still a bike that I could get another 20,000 or more out of? ideally I would like this bike to last me 3 years.
I have been told that the smaller bikes tend not to last as long.

Thank you once again.

12,000 kms is nothing. As long as it is maintained well a 250 can easily go over 80000 kms perhaps more.
On the Virago forum we regularly see 250's with really high mileage.

The only reason to buy one with under 10,000 is because you expect to sell it next year for nearly new price
(An unrealistic expectation, however we see it on kijiji all the time)

Thank you,
I plan on having the bike for a while, I want to wait a few years before I jump up to something larger and perhaps take a few more courses to ensure I m able to handle a bigger bike.
Also I would like to be able to pass the bike onto my partner, provided I can convince her to get her lenience as well. She has never been on a bike at all and she is very hesitant to take a course never being on a bike or driving even a manual car.

I have asked for further details regarding this CBR and a Ninja.
Hopefully I can upgrade my ride before the season is over so I can get a few rides in this year on it. But that may be wishful thinking on my part.
I will post once I get a new bike.

I notice your going from a sport style bike to interest in cruiser style.

it's a different riding style and control of the bike, I've had both bikes after i got rid of my 250, I had a ctx700 and a cbr650f. I prefer sport style control over cruiser or touring.

The 250 was a nice bike. I'm not sure it's a huge jump in power for you, going from a 250. I was gonna go from a 250 to a 500, but was warned away from it and jumped to the 650. It's up to you, if your fine with a small change in power, the 250 is fine. I grew out of my 250 very fast unfortunately.

should look into test riding a 250 or something bigger, before purchasing.

hello and welcome

as stated above 12,000 kms is not a lot of mileage

if you plan on upgrading to sport type bike - 300-500 cc's is a good jump - the new ninja 300 or an older 400 are excellent bikes

if you are looking for a cruiser type bikes - 250 is nearly not enough, aim for something between 500- 650

some options that come into mind - v star 650, virago 535

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and fairly new to riding. I currently have a 2007 CBR125, however I am looking to upgrade to something in the 250 - 300cc range.
I am finding it difficult to decide what would be best for my second bike. I have been looking at 2 used V-Star 250, One is a bobber, the other is original.
I have also been looking at a few ninja 250's as well since they are on the lighter side and I am not a big guy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or anyone who knows of anything for sale in the $3000 range.

Thank you.

Look for a 500 :) great bike for starter and good on ins :) I got mine 500 ninja 03, 2 years ago for 2800 off kijiji with 19.5 km I now have almost 50,000 :)
Enjoy riding... Cheers

It depends on what you're looking for but I wouldn't go from a 125 to a 250. The CBR125R is ~13HP, the CBR250R is ~25. Both are really beginner (i.e. never ridden before) bikes.

The Ninja 300 is a better upgrade at ~35HP but if you've mastered the '125 you might want to consider something along the lines of the CBR500R if you can wing it financially.

At 47HP and 430-lbs it's no rocket sled but it gets out of its own way. With a 180-lb rider aboard, its power to weight ratio is about 13-lbs/hp. For reference, a 2015 Subaru WRX STi comes in at about 12-lbs/hp and that thing is no slouch. As a sport(y) bike the 500R is not stunning but it exceeds the performance of many cars out there.

I raced motocross 30+ years ago so the mechanics of handling a bike were no secret to me. I imagine after a while riding the '125 you're in the same boat. I hadn't ridden on the street but had an itch going back to the early 80s to. In July I got my M1, took and passed an M1X course at a local college in mid August and just upgraded to an M2 (today, in fact...)

The 500R was my first street bike. One of the things that attracted me to it was that its power output is designed for "learners" -- more advanced learners I'd wager but learners nonetheless -- in other countries with so-called "LAMS" (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) programs in place. I've had the bike for just about a month now and put ~2500kms on it (yes, I've driven and enjoyed it a lot :) ) and already find myself wanting more power. I'm not a hooligan by any stretch of the imagination but there are times, especially on highways and when passing, where 47HP leaves me wanting more. I've got my eyes on a CBR650F in the next year or two...

I'd just worry that a 250 would not keep you happy for as long as you want to keep it.

Welcome Grame. Please check your PM. I happen to be selling my Ninja 250R, under $3000, and I'm located in Mississauga. :toothy8:

Back
Top Bottom