CETA - Canada - European Free Trade and what it means for motorcycles | GTAMotorcycle.com

CETA - Canada - European Free Trade and what it means for motorcycles

d00dz

Site Supporter
From what I can gather from the technical summary;

i) Canada will eliminate all tariff/duties from motorcycle imports within 7 years.
ii) Canada will accept European motorcycle standards as an alternative to the current Canadian Standards.

What does this mean for us? Manufacturers will be free to import Euro motorcycles without any modifications whatsoever (except adding French literature) at duty free rock bottom prices!

More info can be found here:
http://international.gc.ca/trade-ag...mprendre/technical-technique.aspx?lang=eng#p1

Has anyone read the entire agreement? Is it even available? Am I interpreting the technical summary correctly?

There are 17 UNECE standards that Canada has agreed to recognize, of which 14 are already accepted.

But that doesn't imply that Canada will recognize ALL of the applicable UNECE standards (and there are a lot of them) ... only those 17 (and I haven't found out specifically which 17 standards that they are talking about).

In terms of motorcycles, there is already very little technical difference between a US/Can compliant vehicle, and a UNECE compliant vehicle ... and a good many bikes nowadays are made identically for both markets, and only that infernal compliance / declaration label prevents a private party from importing and registering a European vehicle here. Remains to be seen if that will change.

It should save the manufacturers some compliance-certification costs.

You should be able to order a copy of the agreement from the federal government. This is good news for Triumph, BMW and Guzzi fans. It also means more price competition in the Canadian market. Meanwhile it's great news for Canadian Ski-Doo and ATV exporters like Bombardier.

Back
Top Bottom