Vintage, old Ontario license plates (white) with green letters? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vintage, old Ontario license plates (white) with green letters?

MarcosSantiago

You can use year of manufacture plates on your classic car or motorcycle of matching vintage, up to and including 1973. The plate must be clear in the MTO database... meaning it wasn't repurposed or attached to another vehicle after they started digitizing records around 1980.

I don't know what the green colour meant back in that day, though. I think normal plates in that era were blue/white and white/blue.

Found via Google:

white on green or green on white = Dept. of National Defence

Also... the first 3 letters indicate the use of the vehicle in governement plates.

CAN Federal Cabinet
MPP Member of Provincial Parliament
SEN Members of the Senate
ONT Ontario Provincial Cabinet
MHC Members of the House of Commons
SCO Supreme Court of Ontario
FCJ Federal Court Judge
PJO Ontario Provincial judges
FDx Federally owned vehicles

Last edited:
Found via Google:

Also... the first 3 letters indicate the use of the vehicle in governement plates.

CAN Federal Cabinet
FCJ Federal Court Judge

Uhmmmmm NATIONAL or federal plates would say CANADA not ONTARIO. We still have FEDERAL plates and they're green and white.
The plates in the OP's auction are old ONTARIO commercial vehicle plates.

You can use year of manufacture plates on your classic car or motorcycle of matching vintage, up to and including 1973. The plate must be clear in the MTO database... meaning it wasn't repurposed or attached to another vehicle after they started digitizing records around 1980.

yup, and it's a pain in the ***.

i've been trying to get tags for a 24 model t, and they keep rejecting the ones i get.

on another note, anyone want to buy a set of '24 plates?

Found via Google:

CAN Federal Cabinet
FCJ Federal Court Judge

Mmmh, interesting theory but the plate on Ebay starts with "Y19", and has only one letter "Y", which don't match any of the codes above...

So I guess the answer is vintage commercial vehicle plates?

yup, and it's a pain in the ***.

i've been trying to get tags for a 24 model t, and they keep rejecting the ones i get.

on another note, anyone want to buy a set of '24 plates?
Probably because the plates you're trying to register are 'taken'? One possibility anyway..

In 1969. Blue background, white numbers or letters were for cars & non-commercial trucks.
Commercial trucks: white background, black numbers / letters.
The above were annual plates - paid for yearly.
It was madness in January. EVERYONE'S plate was due.

The green / white plates in the OP's 1st post were plates that were only paid for 3 months, not annual.
Don't remember why.

Probably because the plates you're trying to register are 'taken'? One possibility anyway..

nope rejected as "unfit"
can't be rusted, repainted, refinished, bent, or otherwise not in perfect condition. hard to find a 90yo plate in good condition

In 1969. Blue background, white numbers or letters were for cars & non-commercial trucks.
Commercial trucks: white background, black numbers / letters.
The above were annual plates - paid for yearly.
It was madness in January. EVERYONE'S plate was due.

The green / white plates in the OP's 1st post were plates that were only paid for 3 months, not annual.

Don't remember why.

I remember the quarterly plates. It may be because of the cost of plates for heavy vehicles and the need to spread the pain.

And yeah everyone's plates came due at the end of February. You had to change the plate, not a sticker. Rusted frozen bolts and line-ups around the block.

There were no custom plates but you could find out where the plates with specific numbers were being shipped and go to that licence office. If you wanted 300 327 because you ran a 300 HP 327 CI Chevy you might have to drive to Owen Sound to get the number by bribing or being nice to the clerk. Then do it again the next year.

Back
Top Bottom