Generator | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Generator

This topic has been discussed extensively. Do a search you'll find lots of info. Take it from those of us that have wasted money on one or more ****** generators before doing the right thing. Buy a honda or yamaha inverter. 1000 watt minimum but for a couple hundred more you can get a 2000 watt. Should easily be able to find one used for $1000, maybe even $800 if you look hard enough. They are reliable, start easily, sip fuel and are ultra quiet. Plus you can sell it for what you paid for it five year later.
+1.

I bought a used Honda 2000 inverter for $600 it looks like crap but works great. Never seen any other one close to that price, 1k for a used one is what they go for I believe.

By the way, during the December storm, it saved my butt - I had all the power I needed while all my neighbors were left in the dark. Always good to have a good unit.... and the satisfaction to look at my wife and say "AHHHHH seeeee these things are not just toys"

Last edited:
My CT worked like a champ for 5 years and the last 2 had two sets of warmers plugged in. Change the spark plug right off the bat and NEVER had another issue until I broke the recoil assembly.

Bought a Ryobi 2000 this year, $600 and powered both sets again flawlessly. A lot quieter than the CT, but still not the price of a Honda/Yamaha.

Did Sunny brain washed you?

For the most part, he is not wrong about Honda engines. It's generally the stuff that Honda has been putting around the engine that hasn't captured my interest. I will say that my cbr125 has been great.

For the most part, he is not wrong about Honda engines. It's generally the stuff that Honda has been putting around the engine that hasn't captured my interest. I will say that my cbr125 has been great.
I'm not going to deny that Honda makes good engines, but Sunny preach it like there is absolutely no flaw at all.

Almost as if its the best thing since sliced bread

BNIB US model Yamaha EF2000is for the price of a used one locally. A few guys out there bringing them across on Kijiji/Craigslist.

Some get lucky with off-brands, some get 2 days and need a rebuild/replacement. I'd be the one who gets 2 days, so figured I'd go for the Yamaha and buy once.

I was going to buy one off Kijiji but when I called the guy he didn't have any left, he said he would get one in the day before my next track day and that was cutting it too close. And I'm glad it didn't work out he wanted $1395 and since it's US Model you can't get any warrenty from any dealer in canada. I ended up paying $1415 after tax here. One good thing about the US model is you can run them tandem with another, but I don't think I would ever do that anyways.

To each their own I have some cheap stuff, but in this case I didn't mind spending money on a new genny

Rather than those garbage "yellow" generators, just do yourself a favour if you are buying on a budget and get their 2500W Honda special.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/generators/economy-series/ep2500
I've got one of those as well as the Honda 2000w inverter and almost always use the 2000w inverter.It's just far more portable and takes up less space in my truck.The ep2500 works great for light construction with more than one user with lighting,table saws etc.It's a good solid generator but man is it heavy.Not something you would want to drag around the track and a little noisier than the inverter but not by much.You really can't go wrong with the inverter and the reason they havent updated the design is because they got it right the first time.I forgot to mention that I have absolutely no affiliation with Suny.

Last edited:
I've got one of those as well as the Honda 2000w inverter and almost always use the 2000w inverter.It's just far more portable and takes up less space in my truck.The ep2500 works great for light construction with more than one user with lighting,table saws etc.It's a good solid generator but man is it heavy.Not something you would want to drag around the track and a little noisier than the inverter but not by much.You really can't go wrong with the inverter and the reason they havent updated the design is because they got it right the first time.I forgot to mention that I have absolutely no affiliation with Suny.

They got it right no doubt it's a benchmark as far as gens go. But when the Yamaha sells for $200 less and comes with a simple addition like a gas gauge and $200 cheaper . Well it gives you another option for a good gen, just as good or better is up to your personal opinion. I'm neither a honda or Yamaha fan boy so for me one was blue, cheaper, and had a gas gauge, the other was red, more expensive, no gas gauge. In terms if brand I put them both in the same category. If the honda was cheaper I would have bought that just as easily and I'm sure I'd be just as happy. Can't go wrong with either so price was the deciding factor for me really. I won't lie I kinda also like the fact it's blue and not the same as %90 of the honda gens everyone has at track days lol

Last edited:
They got it right no doubt it's a benchmark as far as gens go. But when the Yamaha sells for $200 less and comes with a simple addition like a gas gauge and $200 cheaper . Well it gives you another option for a good gen, just as good or better is up to your personal opinion. I'm neither a honda or Yamaha fan boy so for me one was blue, cheaper, and had a gas gauge, the other was red, more expensive, no gas gauge. In terms if brand I put them both in the same category. If the honda was cheaper I would have bought that just as easily and I'm sure I'd be just as happy. Can't go wrong with either so price was the deciding factor for me really. I won't lie I kinda also like the fact it's blue and not the same as %90 of the honda gens everyone has at track days lol
You really can't go wrong with either one.Since I use these things for work and depend on them I wouldn't consider anything but a Honda or Yamaha.The reason I leaned more towards the Honda was because I use to work for Guild Electric and I remember the fleet mechanic telling me that they will get a brand new Honda generator and send it out on one of the trucks that does the traffic lights.That thing would run all day five days a week without even an oil change for three or four years before he ever saw it again.He said with a new spark plug and oil change it would run like new.In fact he doesn't ever recall seeing one that was totally burned out.That really left an impression on me.

The thing about generators and any gas powered equipment that only gets started a few times a year is it cant just sit there. Some stabil in the tank or running till the carb is dry goes a long way. You only pull it out because you need it, the name brands in the field running daily on a job site have a better chance than the track day genny because the fuel keeps moving and the air cleaner gets shaken out once in a while.

I've got a cheap generator that Can Tire had on sale a few years ago. I give up trying to start it after the first 15 mins...you get what you pay for...buy a honda or Yamaha or go cheap and get a boat anchor.

exactly why i buy MV Agusta generators.

You really can't go wrong with either one.Since I use these things for work and depend on them I wouldn't consider anything but a Honda or Yamaha.The reason I leaned more towards the Honda was because I use to work for Guild Electric and I remember the fleet mechanic telling me that they will get a brand new Honda generator and send it out on one of the trucks that does the traffic lights.That thing would run all day five days a week without even an oil change for three or four years before he ever saw it again.He said with a new spark plug and oil change it would run like new.In fact he doesn't ever recall seeing one that was totally burned out.That really left an impression on me.

Having said that, MTD is a well known Chinese company that basically copies Honda products.

Having said that, MTD is a well known Chinese company that basically copies Honda products.

Actually MTD started and it still has it's head quarters in Kitchener, Ontario.
http://www.mtdproducts.ca/equipment/company_40500_50500_-1

Yes they buy motors out of China, but have no presence in China.
All the MTD product I have seen has Tecumseh or Tecumseh Power motors

The Honda "clone" blue motors are Jiangdong (sp?). Jaingdong built all the GX Honda (red) motors in Asia under license from Honda.

Jiangdong is actually a decent clone motor, there are lots of Chinese parts inside actual Honda motors (and other major manufacturers) . The problem becomes carburation and electrical issues which is sort of critical things on small motors. Even some Onan generators used Jiangdong motors, the King generators use Jiang dong but spec a real brand of carburetor to be installed. China can and does build some quality stuff, like BMW's , but if you buy a $399 machine do not expect it to run like a 1500. unit.

I have a Honda 2000 a Costco 2000 Inverter and a big noisey Hyundai 6750 that will power a small city.
Both inverters run quiet and good on gas Costco one slightly noisier both start first pull. The Hyundai usually two-three pulls noisy as hell and 5 gallons per eight hours. When we used to run at TMP 09-11 I would start it Thursday afternoon and run non-stop until Sunday evening never let me down. The costco one ran five days straight during power outage last winter no problem.
Honda more expensive but very quiet and dependable
Costco one $599 slightly noisier (very slightly) and in three years dependable I think they are same as he yellow ones but mine is black
Hyundai was around $800 noisy always runs and will power a small city

Back
Top Bottom