Route Planning - Google Maps into Garmin Devices | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Route Planning - Google Maps into Garmin Devices

The Honda trip planner isn't so bad. Does something goofy every once in a while, but not bad. I also use Tyre, which is generally pretty good.
http://tripplanner.honda.com/
Problem with Honda planner is that you can't drag and drop the lines between destinations. So you need to know what intersections to use. Only good for riding straight roads.

I tried that, in some cases it created to many waypoints. I had to import to base camp and clean up. To much effort compared to, you guess it, tyre....

Okay just tried TyreOnTravel - "Tyre" on my Parallels Virtual Machine. Not bad. Easy to use. I cant seem to connect my Zumo to the Parallels Virtual Machine right now, but was able to export the route created as a .gpx. Easy to copy to Mac side and load into base camp to check it/transfer to zumo.

EDIT:
Just exported the GPX file from Tyre and loaded into Basecamp on the Mac. Looking good! Sent to Zumo and its perfect.
Excellent. I now will agree this is the best way to do Google maps-->Garmin

:)

thanks!

Last edited:
Well, if mac folks can do it anyone can ;-) thanks for your vote! I'm so happy I found solution after so much frustration...

Problem with Honda planner is that you can't drag and drop the lines between destinations. So you need to know what intersections to use. Only good for riding straight roads.
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. I entered a start point of Toronto and an end point of Barry's Bay, then inserted points along 507, Elephant Lake road, etc. by right-clicking the road on the map and choosing "Add Stop". It will add the stop to the bottom of the list on the left, but simply drag the stops into the right order and you're good to go. Also, if you have some "stops" along the way between start and end, you can drag the "stops" around the map and place them where you like ... basically like grabbing the line in google maps.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. I entered a start point of Toronto and an end point of Barry's Bay, then inserted points along 507, Elephant Lake road, etc. by right-clicking the road on the map and choosing "Add Stop". It will add the stop to the bottom of the list on the left, but simply drag the stops into the right order and you're good to go. Also, if you have some "stops" along the way between start and end, you can drag the "stops" around the map and place them where you like ... basically like grabbing the line in google maps.

ah.. I meant just by grabbing the line. In google maps (and now Tyre) I do a start/stop location... then just stretch the line to different roads to create the route. I dont add any other markers.

ah.. I meant just by grabbing the line. In google maps (and now Tyre) I do a start/stop location... then just stretch the line to different roads to create the route. I dont add any other markers.
Gotcha. I do the same with google maps. But that effectively inserts waypoints in a route anyway. I still use Tyre at home with my own computer, but the Honda trip planner is strictly web based and does not require the installation of an application, which makes it a bit more versatile.

Back
Top Bottom