Route Planning - Google Maps into Garmin Devices | GTAMotorcycle.com

Route Planning - Google Maps into Garmin Devices

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
So I used to use the old version of Google Maps (Classic Maps) which has now been updated to the new version. I can still use the old version, but the ability to save files as KML is now gone. I think it's is a case of fixing something that was not broken. They could have just a dded a few of the new features while keeping the old UI and options intact.

One of the biggest things for me is avoiding toll roads - it seems to me that this now impossible to do in the new update as a primary preference (like avoiding highways), without manually dragging the route. If it was a simple route, this might be fine, but a more intricate route covering 1000km of backroads becomes almost impossible. Add to that a multiday trip and I feel like I'm spending as much time plotting my routes as riding them.

I am using an older Garmin Nuvi550 and I also like to route plan in Google Maps and then just upload the routes to my GPS. It used to be a fast and easy process for me. I also take paper maps (as backup) with me whenever I travel, but use the GPS as my primary. I am willing to use something else as easy to manipulate as Google Maps, with the ability to either save files as KML/GDB or just do a direct transfer to my GPS, but it must have the ability to drag and change routes and have the ability to select avoidances like toll roads. I want to continue using my Garmin Nuvi550 to import the routes into (usually as a KML or GDB file).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this without recommending using other devices like TomTom or phone based systems?

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. The loss of the kml export really floored me.

Back to Base camp. :'(

FYI Ronnie, you can still export to KML and have the route you have created saved directly to your computer. It's just set up differently and involves clicking the little folder icon near the top left of the screen. Here's a short video on it and just scroll to the 1:40 mark for KML exporting. Although the video showcases more to do with Basecamp, the KML files just get saved on your computer wherever you have your downloaded files directed to (ie Downloads folder).

edit: when you are given the option to save it to your computer, you will be asked if you want to save the entire map or just the directions you have created >> save just the directions you have created.

Last edited:
I hate Basecamp. It doesn't provide enough road details until you zoom right in

Guys forget all your troubles. No need for base camp anymore. Download Tyre routing software and be amazed. It is Google maps based and send straight to Garmin. It crashes sometimes so save often but other than that it is brilliant! And it needs to be online as it is Google based.... Cheers!

Have been using HD Ride Planner and it allows you to plot in what looks like the old Google maps (without street view) and then you can sync it to the GPS directly without going to another software.

The only issue so far is that it limits you to 20 way points and if you put more than a start and end location it will split it into another map. So you could have 3 or 4 maps on a complex ride.

Tried that, Tyre is all one could ask for...

Wish I read this earlier.. Spend last night battling with base camp. It's brutal trying to modify an existing route. Will check out this "tyre" thing.

I did all my routes in Classic Google Maps and then re-did them in the new Google Maps. Then converted the files to KML and uploaded to my GPS. Next time I try out Tyre!

Looks like this tyre program is Windows only. Dang.. Going to have to install it in my Windows virtual machine to use on my Mac.

I looked at as well but no fly on the Mac and be damned if I go Windoz for something of minor value.
I like my surprises :D

Only annoying thing in tyre is popup that comes up when waypoint is added. That is easily disabled on vertical toolbar beside waypoint list. On same toolbar there is Google maps search field. Very convenient...

I looked at as well but no fly on the Mac and be damned if I go Windoz for something of minor value.
I like my surprises :D
You probably did not suffer same version of base camp as I did. It is well worth it to run virtual Windows imho

I've been kicking it old school. Make a route on google maps then using trip planner and putting each point into the GPS. Takes hours. Sometimes fails as it takes the points and gives you the fastest way to each point ruining all the fun roads. My last ride I tried to put it into my GPS around 9 times each time putting points closer to each other and still it didn't work. Good thing was I did it so many times that I memorized the route and no one in my group knew until we got there that I had done it from memory. I had just punched in the most direct route in my gps.

If only all that frustrating plotting time could be converted to fun riding time.

The HD planner sounds similar to the Honda one, simple but only 25 way points IIRC.

So worth taking the time to do it. For fun riding when you know where the fun roads are and gas stations and only having to thing about enjoying the ride.

Imagine if all you had to do is Google map bit and it was auto magically in GPS ;-)
I've been kicking it old school. Make a route on google maps then using trip planner and putting each point into the GPS. Takes hours. Sometimes fails as it takes the points and gives you the fastest way to each point ruining all the fun roads. My last ride I tried to put it into my GPS around 9 times each time putting points closer to each other and still it didn't work. Good thing was I did it so many times that I memorized the route and no one in my group knew until we got there that I had done it from memory. I had just punched in the most direct route in my gps.

Has anyone see this:

1. Create route in new google maps...
2. Once you are happy with the route, copy the page’s URL link in the address bar to your clipboard.

3. Open up a new tab and goto http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

convertGoogleMapsToGpx1.png

You can ignore most the options, just select Gpx and paste the Google Maps URL into the box labelled “provide the URL of a file on the Web” and then press the Convert button

You then can download the .GPX file or view it in the following page.

I tried that, in some cases it created to many waypoints. I had to import to base camp and clean up. To much effort compared to, you guess it, tyre....

Back
Top Bottom