Compatible parts Database (website or forum) anywhere in existance or need to build? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Compatible parts Database (website or forum) anywhere in existance or need to build?

Fen|X

Banned
Hello there, so, been looking around the web and cant really seem to find anything that direct for compatible parts.
Going through ebay 'vehicle comparability' is pointless, seen tons of them that are wrong.

Basically, information like:

ZX7 (96 - xx) rotors compatible with ZX9 (94-02)
Break lever frox XXXX model compatible with XXX-XXXX

and so on....

If it doesn't exist, but people aware of certain parts, make/models compatibility, maybe we should make a DB?

I use the manufactures ' part number as a guide.. When searching.. Will bring up good results

I use the manufactures ' part number as a guide.. When searching.. Will bring up good results
Thanks kiwi, i do it too. I was more wondering about interchangeble parts for different makes too. Like suzuki-honda-kawasaki

It is difficult to do what you are suggesting.

For example, Yamaha used the same style of opposed-piston brake calipers and master cylinders and front brake levers on many bikes for many years. Some black, some silver, some gold, but most of them (not all!) are dimensionally interchangeable. Different part numbers because of the different colour. At a certain point, you just have to know what fits what else.

520-conversion front for a Yamaha FZR400 are not OEM parts and the aftermarket catalogs no longer list them. But 2004-ish GSXR, Kaw ZX7R/ZX9R, and probably lots more use the same spline pattern, and you need a spacer/washer to get the correct offset and thickness. Rear sprockets are same as FZR600 and RZ350. Not exactly interchangeable, but these parts are close enough to make them fit ...

If you insist on "exact match" then you would never know that Yamaha FZR400 and FZR600 wheels are close enough to be interchangeable.

If you accept "dimensionally interchangeable" then you'll get colours wrong.

Hmm, I posted in this thread earlier and my response isn't here..

Anyway, go on the specific bikes forum and see what other members are using and get ideas from them.

I should add that when Yamaha re-uses a part, the first three characters of the part number are supposed to be the model code for the vehicle in which it was first used, but a lot of the time, they just go ahead and use the model code for the new vehicle even though the part is still backwards-compatible to the old one. Their own (dealer) parts ordering system automatically substitutes superceded parts where applicable. I've noticed this with engine crank and rod bearings.

The only way to really do this is just search internet forums...A good idea, but getting this together and maintaining it is a big job, and manufacturers won't like it.

I.e. The timing belt on a Ducati 900 ss is the same as a Renault Clio, but gets magically 300% more expensive from Ducati.

Back
Top Bottom