Bozo riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bozo riding

Furpo

Site Supporter
Back in the beginner's class for me, despite a year and a half riding.

Yesterday I had been riding for about two hours straight on roads I had never visited before, enjoying the sunshine, lack of traffic, and gentle curves. I approached a sharp, and blind, right turn. I barely slowed down, such was my inflated self-esteem and feeling of oneness with the motorcycle and the road. (How many rookie mistakes have you checked off so far?)

Around entry point I saw that there was a lot of gravel ahead and that at the lean required I would probably spill. There was enough room to straighten up and head across the road, leaving about 15 feet in front of oncoming traffic. I noticed that the second car was tight behind the first so it is possible the first car had braked suddenly. At the very least the driver saw another irresponsible motorcyclist and for that I am more than a little ashamed.

I stopped in someone’s front yard, upright on grass (what luck-no fence!), quite shaken by my textbook idiocy. (I was actually at a loss as to what to do next—remind me how you get off a motorcycle?). Another very considerate and experienced rider (in his fifties, riding since he was 11) who was behind me had pulled over. He was remarkably assuring and tactful, but in brackets I guess at want he either meant or wanted to say:

“Are you okay?”
(…in the head?)

“How long have you been riding?”
(…about a week I’d wager, considering we are pushing your shiny red Honda out of someone’s front yard.)

“Where are you from?”
(…not these parts, given your profound ignorance of the roads)

“My friends and I practise slow maneuvers in parking lots”
(…go back to basics you complete tw@ and once you can take a corner at 5mkh try a real one at, say, 20.)

“It’s a dangerous corner”
(…for you, in that it requires actually turning, and the myriad of techniques involved. Techniques you might have read about or seen on YouTube, but clearly haven’t understood or internalised.)

“Snake Road is closed”
(…so you might actually get home in one piece.)

“We all do stupid things”
(…you do stupid things)

“Ride safe”
(…preferably on a bicycle. Or perhaps an escalator to begin with.)

If my interpretation of his words is correct, he was 100% right. And I sincerely thank him for his concern and insight.

The odd things is that I am the epitome of a careful rider. I am a 45 year-old accountant with three young children. I always wear full gear, I have taken two motorcycle courses and I read about technique and safety a lot. I obey traffic rules, and I arrogantly scoff at riders who lark about or don’t wear full gear (but at least know how to ride). I also entered motorcycling reluctantly: a new job required that I travel further and faster than my cycle could take me and without a license of any description two wheels was the only way I could do it without an 8-month delay. So riding is not a lifestyle for me, it is my daily commute. However, it took about two weeks for me to be utterly seduced. I deeply regretted not starting 30 years ago. And a big part of the joy of riding is the focus required. It is extreme mindfulness: doing everything as well as I possibly can and gaining satisfaction from a well-executed lane change, smooth deceleration, or perfect lane positioning. But the focus must be constant, and one moment of carelessness quickly undoes all the attention, training and hard work. (I will add that I was riding to see a 20-year old nephew who is undergoing brain surgery today to remove a large tumour. I had told myself before setting out that I cannot crash as there is simply no spare emotion left in the family. How selfish it would be!)

I was able to continue riding as the mishap was completely my fault and I had control over it happening again. Had it been a car crossing lanes and narrowly missing me I probably would have needed a much longer pause. Or a Manhattan.

So after riding every day for months I am taking a few days off to reflect, and then I will start afresh, back in the beginner’s camp, hopefully lesson learned.

P.S. Most fatalities occur in the third year of riding. The first year the rider is green but overly cautious. In the third year the rider is green and overly confident. Surely just knowing this should be prevention enough?

Thx for posting, glad it worked out. Everyone has made a mistake before, it's great when you are still around to learn from it.

Great Post Glad Your Ok .....We all make mistakes learning from them keeps us alert and safer for 100 years to come...cheers

35 years of riding and every time out I'm still learning and still make the occasional mistake. Great post, reminds us that when you lose focus ("mindfullness"), **it happens!

wow you sure are humble. I wish more riders had your mentality. I like you.

humble might have to do with maturity. But either way newbie is newbie. At least you will learn from this. true, the few years after the first is probably some of the most dangerous. I remember doing something like that once...also ended up in the front yard.

wow you sure are humble. I wish more riders had your mentality. I like you.

Well, humbled rather than humble--but thanks.

Furpo, glad you are ok. What a well-written, thoughtful post. I appreciate your honestly and frankness. It was a pleasure to read all of it. Being a mother and grandmother, I also consider myself a careful rider. Riding a motorcycle is not about speed, for me. Never has been; never will be. There have been times while riding, that I have lost focus; thinking of something else other than riding. And when my bike starts to drift, I talk to myself saying "stay focused". It works :) I learn something new during during every ride.

I truly hope the surgery went well for your nephew. And he makes a full recovery.

Furpo, glad you are ok. What a well-written, thoughtful post. I appreciate your honestly and frankness. It was a pleasure to read all of it. Being a mother and grandmother, I also consider myself a careful rider. Riding a motorcycle is not about speed, for me. Never has been; never will be. There have been times while riding, that I have lost focus; thinking of something else other than riding. And when my bike starts to drift, I talk to myself saying "stay focused". It works :) I learn something new during during every ride.

I truly hope the surgery went well for your nephew. And he makes a full recovery.

Many thanks for your positive comments.

Glad to hear it worked out.

I'm about your age, with a young family.

I too was seduced later in life to ride and it was a great experience.

At this point, I've decided to hang up the helmet and watch the family grow for now.

Just too risky and too much to lose at this point.

All the best to you.

Ride safe.

Sent from my Z30

Thanks OP for the post. We all make mistakes and reflecting on them is part of what makes us better riders.

This is my third season riding and on my third bike (GS 500->Gsx650->cbr600rr). In the three seasons I have taken both m1 and m2 exit courses, RTI technical rider course, Lee Parks total control Stage 1, and recently racer 5 stage 1. The reason I took racer5 was to get into track riding as I'm getting a bit fast for the street. I'm spirited at the corners and love taking them. However at the streets you never know what's waiting for you on the other side ( gravel in your case). Track days has opened my eyes and gave me the satisfaction for speed both on straights and corners.

Does this mean I'm done with street. Of course not. The key is as riders we need constant learning and practise. Whether you're taking an advance street course or track school or dirt bike lessons, all will have one thing common: how to control the bike. Once you master that you can handle any situation. Control and awareness are the two most important things a rider should master.

So, keep training yourself. Even after three years riding I always have something new to learn.

Great post. Glad you made it through your ordeal unscathed.

Also Kudos to you for acknowledging the errors and taking responsibility for them rather than "blaming" everyone from those who engineered the road to the police for not setting up radar traps, signage people etc etc etc.

...Lee Parks total control Stage 1...

Thanks for the reply. How was this course, would you recommend it? Certainly looks good to start 2015. Racer5 can wait one more season...

Yes. I really enjoyed LPTC and it did wonders for both street and track. I would recommend you take that course before a track course. Racer5 didn't go through body positioning techniques as detailed as Lea Parks.

Thoughtful post but one thing that you're leaving out is that once you realized you made an error, you did everything right. Staighten up, straight. Stop.

I'm greener than you but I bet it's not the first or second mistake you make that wrecks you, but the last one in the sequence.

You made some mistakes that you'll learn from but I say you did well.

Thoughtful post but one thing that you're leaving out is that once you realized you made an error, you did everything right. Straighten up, straight. Stop.

I'm greener than you but I bet it's not the first or second mistake you make that wrecks you, but the last one in the sequence.

You made some mistakes that you'll learn from but I say you did well.

Thanks, I'll take that. In an instant I saw the gravel, chose the correct path, and took it, all somewhat instinctively or subconsciously. But I think that is more due to being a bicycle commuter for 20 plus years in big cities: emergency stopping, swerving, and shaking my angry little fists at cagers was the norm. So it wasn't the danger that rattled me--I didn't feel I had had a melodramatic brush with mortality or anything like that. It was the realization that I could replace all the training and common sense I had built up with a schoolboy bumper car mentality. I had probably been riding badly for miles without the hazard that crystallizes it. You take the M1 exit course, read Proficient Motorcycling, watch instructional videos on vanishing points and half the time you're thinking "well of course. That's obvious" Ha!

Back on the road today--total safety geek. Shoulder checks, speed limit, hi-viz, the whole nine yards. And what a pleasure it was to be all about the craft again. Still, I can't deny I am looking forward to going on the track. I completely understand why speed and aggressive cornering is an attraction. Just can't do it on the street.

Back on the road today--total safety geek. Shoulder checks, speed limit, hi-viz, the whole nine yards. And what a pleasure it was to be all about the craft again. Still, I can't deny I am looking forward to going on the track. I completely understand why speed and aggressive cornering is an attraction. Just can't do it on the street.

I agree with this statement 100% as I am also a safety geek on the street and I'm really looking forward to the track next year.

Well, the great thing here is that you survived without injury and learned a lesson at the same time. Many aren't so lucky. You became a better rider that day, things got a lot more real. But remember, there will come a time when you will go down, possibly as a result of something out of your control. If you can understand that, then you'll be a much more defensive rider, always searching for the next hazard. The stages of motorcycle experience:

Stage 1)Gawd, how do they ride that thing with all those controls?

Stage II) This isn't so bad, I could get the hang of this.

Stage III) I'm pretty good at this now. This is a piece of cake. (danger stage 1)

Stage IV) Boy this is fun. A twist of the throttle and I'm away from the traffic, fresh air and nobody to bother me.

Stage V) I can get to work in 5 minutes with this thing as long as there are no police. But I would never do it. Honest. No really... (danger stage 2)

Stage VI) Nothing like the thrill of the open road. These cars look like they're parked sometimes.

Stage VII) These cars are always in the way, and they can't seem to stay still in their lane. Lucky I've become so good at this. And with my new GSXR1200 Turbo, things are so much easier. (If you survive this stage you're lucky)

Stage VIII) Yeah, so the casts come off next week. With a few months of physio, the doc says I'll be off the pain meds in no time. Wonder how I'm going to convince the wifey that I need a new bike. Maybe I should give it a rest for awhile, but damn I almost had him in that last turn...

It's pretty hard to beat the addiction. Ride safe.

Back
Top Bottom