ecu issue with my 2015 kawasaki zx636, fixed! | GTAMotorcycle.com

ecu issue with my 2015 kawasaki zx636, fixed!

rashidme

Bought my new 2015 kawi zx636 from St Onge recreation. Riding the bike home it stalled once at a red light and I thought maybe I didn't let go the clutch properly etc. Next morning bike started on third try and I thought that is not normal and this was in early September when the weather was still warm. I go for a ride and the bike stalled again at red light and now I knew something isn't right.

Contacted SOR and they immediately contacted Kawasaki and I was told to bring the bike in for service. After doing their diagnostics they came to the conclusion that the ecu needs replacement. The part had to come from japan and I was told it could take two weeks but it actually came early :) (just in time for the warm weather!)

I picked up the bike yesterday (September 25). Things seemed fine when riding back from Barrie. I am hoping this doesn't happen again as I am getting very iffy about kawi's QA/testing etc.

I hope the H2 doesn't have these issues ;)

I was about to joke about the ecu, but know that you mentioned it...

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I work there in parts and was questioning why we ordered an ECU for a brand new bike, now I know. I hope things work out and it was just a one in a million glitch.

Sent from my GT-I5510M using Tapatalk 2

Out of curiosity, what's the msrp on an ECU for this bike?

Mother of God...

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Brain of the bike yo!

With that money, I can buy myself a new laptop that can adjust my ecu, word process, check email and probably even cook me dinner

Are you sure your not quoting your dealer cost on that? Because for me not being a dealer MSRP is actually more like $1000+ tax....Now everyone knows how much money a dealer makes on one item like that

Want a better one? A set of throttle boddies for that same bike is over $1500+ tax

And its funny everyone seems so surprised at the price of an ECU, I guess you guys don't have experience buying new OEM parts. Like gas tanks, radiators, wheels, etc etc, as these are all in the $800+ range......This is why motorcycles get written off so easily!

I did an insurance job for a friend a few years back, 08 CBR 600RR backed into by a car and tipped over.....Parts were $5500 to fix that bike, insurance did not want to fix it. From a tip over!

Last edited:
With that money, I can buy myself a new laptop that can adjust my ecu, word process, check email and probably even cook me dinner

Except you need a functioning ECU before the laptop is any good :)

My kit ecu was ~$750 so I could see the price being right.

I work there in parts and was questioning why we ordered an ECU for a brand new bike, now I know. I hope things work out and it was just a one in a million glitch.

Sent from my GT-I5510M using Tapatalk 2
Not likely a one in a million glitch if they could diagnose his bike simply by calling head office!

Ya that is retail price, made triple sure before posting as I didn't want to advertise dealer cost, which is still very high.
Very interesting that your Canadian MSRP is somehow cheaper then US MSRP, I can find it cheaper but that's not "MSRP" its just a certain dealers retail price which can vary anywhere from %10-40 off MSRP. MSRP in the US on that is over $900US, so its just hard to believe your quoting MSRP not your sale price as US prices are always cheaper from my experience....

Either way I can't say anything bad about StOnge, I bought my last 2 sport bikes from them....If they were closer Id probably buy most of my parts there also, but its a bit far...Not too far when talking about $1000 savings on a new bike though :)

Back
Top Bottom