New to me CBX250 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to me CBX250

theraymondguy

My wife gave me the go ahead to pick up a bike for my 40th birthday. I didn't want a big bike, something I do short highway jaunts on, easy handling in town. Honda's flogging the CBR125 hard right now, but... I'd like some passing power please. I've been scanning the countless CBR250s and Ninjas which is just a nightmare. I came across this '87 CBX250. Low mileage (10k), new tires, very well kept, some lumps and bumps to prove it's 27 years on the planet. 26HP, it makes a great sound and it's just as crisp as the day it was new.

more happy birthday.jpg

Proven power plant (XL250L RFVC), parts are readily available for engine and chassis, the bodywork... not so much.

Cheap insurance, good.
Light weight, good.
Looks like a motorcycle instead of a wasp, good.

I wasn't to sure of it at first, but man its' growing on me quickly.

Sorry for the horrible pic, It's fresh out of the van. Cleaned up and better pics to come, I promise.

Last edited:
Sweet ride. Looks like babe magnet in that pic. Hope your marriage is solid.

We're rock solid. A single income houshold, ie: can't afford divorce lawyers.

Excellent! Just need to confirm one minor detail. Since your wife granted permission, she is the single income?

Excellent! Just need to confirm one minor detail. Since your wife granted permission, she is the single income?

Lol, There was a time where she was dead set against bikes, and has recently started to soften on the subject. I could care less about how 'our' money is spent, as long as there's a few bucks to blow on fun stuff now and again.

They still make that bike in South America. You should be able to get new parts from Brazil.
Specs say it tops out at a real 145 kph.

wow.. very low kms.. if they are true. ;-)

But nice find. Enjoy it.

017_zpsb4ccc4ad.jpg
wow.. very low kms.. if they are true. ;-)

But nice find. Enjoy it.

Well, it cleans up not too bad. Some mild rash on the pipe, not enough to transfer metal - no sign of rust on it. There's no rust on it anywhere truth be told. The case covers are completely intact, the wheels are near perfect (a little mark on the front rim when the new OE Bridgestone was installed), straight and true otherwise. The front is +1 size, the rear +2 (Bridgestone Battlax) The black parts are still black without much fading. The low mileage really seems legit. 5 owners according to the UVIP.

Last edited:
Looks in better shape than most 2013 Ninja 300s.

Thanks! A closer inspection shows hardly any tool marks on hardware (tappet covers and flywheel cover caps). It's been down but not hard (just like most 2013 Ninja 300s), it starts first flip of the crank. No tidytails, rim tape, led turnsignals or under lighting and no history of it either. A rub on the face of the fairing (most likely from a motorcycle cover), side panel mounts are intact and a couple of personality dents on both sides of the tank - it came with another but I'll wait for spring to mount it. Aside from a chain adjustment it looks and feels ready to go anywhere.

If anyone has a lead as to where I can get onto Honda Canada's parts listings, I'd be much obliged. Sturgess and Dewildt's website have listings but they're US, won't find anything there on the CBX.

Last edited:
Great little bikes....2nd favourite training bike ever. Yours looks pretty clean and complete, what parts are you looking for?

Great little bikes....2nd favourite training bike ever. Yours looks pretty clean and complete, what parts are you looking for?

Cool bike. I used to have one. Might have some parts still i think

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Little bits, turn signal cases and lenses (the ones I have are serviceable, but scuffed), I'd like to freshen up the rear shoes, owners manual or service manual (just want a wiring diagram).

Back
Top Bottom