when does every one stop riding?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

when does every one stop riding??

All year if weather and travel permits.
Had some nice rides in January year before last. Roads were fine.
It all depends.

ScreenShot2013-01-10atJan10201351543PM.jpg

That road looks fine. Steep but fine. Well played.

Mostly comes down to my confidence in the tires and how cold my limbs are. 5-10 degrees is my realistic limit with sports gear.

I've seen Europeans doing track days with snow on the ground so I guess it comes down to your gear and your tolerance.

When the snow sticks, or -10*C, whichever comes first. However, I don't 'put the bike away', as soon as I can see asphalt and it's above -10, I'm riding.

Once the nighttime lows stay under zero. That coincides with snow/sleet usually. If it's dry, I know and love the wire (heated vest/gloves). Warms up quicker than my car.

Some people already put their bikes away, others ride all winter.

I stop riding when its below 10-15, dont like the cold.

Yeah, below 10C is when tires really fall off on grip. Around 5C you can get black ice in low areas. I once rode through Forest Hills and at the bottom of a hill there was pure back ice through the intersection..clutched in, didn't touch brakes, just had my feet out ready to catch it. Didn't drop, but I needed a change of skivvies.

Yeah, below 10C is when tires really fall off on grip. Around 5C you can get black ice in low areas. I once rode through Forest Hills and at the bottom of a hill there was pure back ice through the intersection..clutched in, didn't touch brakes, just had my feet out ready to catch it. Didn't drop, but I needed a change of skivvies.

Had a similar moment on ground frost one early morning coming to a stop i locked up the back..was not expecting it! lesson learned!

Just a heads up. Winter tires below 7c.

I didn't mind riding when it was about - 6 out. My hands got kind of cold, I don't have heated grips. I'll probably put winter gloves over my riding gloves this year to stop that from happening again. That or I'll make some homemade wind deflectors. I'll most likely be riding up until late November, early December.

I would pick deflectors over a 2nd set of gloves.

Everyone has different limits, you'll find it out yourself.

I find my riding significantly slows down by late October as it gets colder and colder. At some point I just stop riding and wait for spring. This falls normally around mid to late November, as others have said, around the time they put salt down on the roads. I don't winterize my bike (oh no!) so there's no conscious planning needed.

Yup - even with heated grips - deflectors would be better Unfortunately the Burgman mirrors preclude that tho the new wider windscreen now takes all the wind off my knuckles - hoping for a long riding season this year as last year sucked - missed November travelling by cage out west then Nov onward was a write off.

Correct. Deflectors redirect cold air away from hands. This is why windshields have found overwhelming favour with the general motoring public.

Under +4 or +5 I find there's too much risk of ice in shadowed areas so I don't ride if it's colder than that.

I don't actually put the bike away until the streets get the heavy salt treatment.

Depends on temp and use of road salt. I have heated gear, so down to 2 or 3 is fine. I'm done when the salt or brine trucks start their runs.

Back
Top Bottom