when does every one stop riding?? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

when does every one stop riding??

N e v e r. . . . .

Just put the bike away today....with all the rain these days its impossible to plan anything and its only getting colder. I was overdue for an oil change anyways so it wasn't too much extra work to throw in some stabilizer and pull the battery.

Hmmm- did not see any negatives yet for Sauga - down to 2 tonight ( now )- last evening was 8 after dark riding down fron the Forks but was comfie and relatively lightly geared.
I think we have some nice weather still coming but as mentioned - hard to plan for any distance.
Going to 15 today and up to 22 on Monday tho with some raing but at that temp who cares...and it's just showers.
Looks to be warm all week with mid to upper teens....nice to have the Scott Gortex jacket and not worry about rain jacket on and off.

Snow has to accumulate before I'll stop....kid will ride all winter if roads permit. ( no ice or heavy slush )

Last edited:
I think it all depends on the rider and the bike. A chromed out harley with a tshirt rider's season is over on the september long weekend. A klr or gs rider with 100 000 miles and who hasn't washed his bike in 6 months doesn't care about the weather. Either way we are short changed because of the area and climate we live in.

Well on the days I have a 1 hour commute I have pretty much stopped that already, (it is too risky at 5 am and most mornings too cool), on the days with my 10 minute commute as long as it is +3 or more.

Definitely at first sign of brine or salt, Not getting anything that corrosive all over bottom of bike.

Salt/brine. If you see what my exhaust headers look like, you'll never ride in that **** again

Just stepped out to throw banana peel into compost pile. Clear blue sky and sunshine is deceiving. Brrr. Will wait til noon.

油井緋色;2235324 said:
Salt/brine. If you see what my exhaust headers look like, you'll never ride in that **** again

That was when I stopped riding on the street which kept my 04 looking like it rolled off the showroom floor with 30,000km on it. Now my road riding is done at the end of the race season and dirt biking starts.

That was when I stopped riding on the street which kept my 04 looking like it rolled off the showroom floor with 30,000km on it. Now my road riding is done at the end of the race season and dirt biking starts.

That's a great idea. I only stopped riding for the month of February last year but I think I'll go with this method instead in the coming years.

Was last night too. Rode home at 130 am and it was -1. It's not that bad if you have good gear. When I see snow I'll park mine.

Yep. Probably the same with me, salt or snow. But there's always those few days in December or early Jan where's its a Cool ride

Yep. Probably the same with me, salt or snow. But there's always those few days in December or early Jan where's its a Cool ride

Or a random 20 degree day in Feb followed by a giant *** snow storm?

I don't like to stop riding. There are less safe and more safe times in winter to ride, and it is pretty easy to be comfortable to at least -16c.

I often pause my riding during the first snowfalls of winter, mostly because there isn't any salt on the road to take care of ice yet.

I used to try not to ride in actual snow beyond a light dusting. Sometimes.

I'm a big fan of Warm&Safe heated gloves and jacket liner, wearing long johns, and if you're doing several hours at sub-zero, breadbags over the socks inside the boots to act as a wind barrier.

I find I run into a frost problem inside my visor at -10c and below, despite an anti-fog pinlock. There looks to be some solutions to this from the snowmobile crowd but I haven't tried any of them yet. I saw a video where a guy ran some electrified wires through his visor to sort this out; ghetto but effective I guess.

Depending on your bike tire sizing, you might want to look into Heidenau K60 Sport Mud+Snow rated motorcycle tires (with the official snowflake symbol on them). petes-superbike and aviciouscycle carry them. They are intended to stay supple on cold roads (not that I've had a big problem with that with summer tires), and their tread pattern should offer some help when it comes to snow and slush.

I used Continental TKC80's on the CBR1100xx in winter, and was astounded at how good those things were on ice. My boots couldn't get traction at intersections and in parking lots, but the bike was pretty well planted. A gentle hand on the throttle and brakes, and never a drop.

Yes, you'll bathe the bike in salt. I've done this repeatedly to my Katanae 750's, gen5 VFR800, and my CBR1100xx without causing any big problems. You will likely reduce your resale value, in case that's important to you. I've seen steps recommended like hosing the bike down with WD40 before a ride, then washing it afterwards, etc; I never bothered. The crowns of the fairing bolts on one of the Katanae got pretty rust-covered, *shrug*. I usually look forward to the first heavy rain in spring to give the bike a nice cleansing shower.

NOT EVERYBODY stops.
Some people ride all 12 months.
I know a few.

i usually stop once its too damn cold for me to enjoy it, which can change year to year. I dont have heated gear either. Salt is nasty so i also stop once that craps hit the roads.

This year i finised two weeks ago because im an idiot and sliced my hand up bad. Severed a tendon in throttle hand. No more riding til after xmas.....that and my pickup hockey is on hold. Dont play with knives!

Back
Top Bottom