ordering from thailand - duties? | GTAMotorcycle.com

ordering from thailand - duties?

brucewayne

i placed an order from tyga performance in thailand for a windscreen and the total including $50 shipping was $150 canadian. now i got a note from canada post to pick up my package and that i owe $237.97. huh? can i owe that much on a $100 piece of plastic? did they put the decimal in the wrong spot? the tracking #s check out

I got some stuff from Tyga Performance a couple of years ago.
I remember that shipping wasn't cheap, but I did not get dinged for duty from Canada post.

i placed an order from tyga performance in thailand for a windscreen and the total including $50 shipping was $150 canadian. now i got a note from canada post to pick up my package and that i owe $237.97. huh? can i owe that much on a $100 piece of plastic? did they put the decimal in the wrong spot? the tracking #s check out

you will have to pay Harper Sales tax, plus a 60% MFN Tariff from Thailand, plus brokerage fees. Then add 7% Thai tax and interior tax.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/49...s-motorcycle-from-netherlands-to-canada-is-0/

Basically, this is the worst possible country to import from next to India.

There is actually no duty on motorcycle parts into Canada.

They have their own special caste in india and are know as Hijras...there now you will be able to find them easier!

See? Multiculturalism works!

Don't they have an American distributor? I'm pretty sure their site says so. Why have it shipped from Thailand?

When you get it, post pics. I want to see what a $400 windscreen looks like. Must be ballin'

Don't they have an American distributor? I'm pretty sure their site says so. Why have it shipped from Thailand?
Yes, they did. They closed shop about a year and a half ago. I managed to score a pair of carbon fiber exhaust for their closing sale.

The American site did not cary much in terms of 2 stroke items (no real North American 2 stroke market but probably the reason Tyga did so well), and had no 2 stroke engine parts at all. I needed some top end components. None of which was available from the American distributor.

Matt @ Tyga is extremely knowlegable in all things NSR. I got a chance to pick hiis brain before I ordered my stuff. I liked his support - so ordered from them directly.

Guess I got lucky on duties.

Didn't know they closed the US distributor. Then he could have ordered from these guys:

http://www.jap4performance.com/index.html

They distribute for Tyga in the UK. Would have been cheaper than Thailand anyways.

OP, is it too late to refuse the shipment? I would just have them return to sender and cancel your order if you can.

When you get it, post pics. I want to see what a $400 windscreen looks like. Must be ballin'

I wanna see how much nicer it is than my $18 chinese ones

so Canada Border Services Agency classified it as a vehicle part worth $1754.... even though it says motorcycle part worth $60. i don't know how a black piece of plastic is worth $1754. its not some complicated/shiny/big part... what idiots. i paid the $237.97 and will fill out some paperwork to get it back.

I feel your pain.
Next time ask them to value it at $20 and mark the package as "GIFT" on the goods declaration. That should do it.

Back
Top Bottom