tail of dragon this weekend | GTAMotorcycle.com

tail of dragon this weekend

rescue

Well found 4 days and are heading down to NC. I figure on staying Franklin as it seems the most central. Leaving friday morning, trailering the bikes. A few questions from the wise:
- can I make it to Franklin in 12ish hours?
- is 2days enough time to enjoy the roads in that area?

I understand that the dragon will be busy on the weekend and will prob only ride once then head over and do some less mainstream roads. Other than Cherohala skyway is there any other roads that are a must do?

Cherohala Skyway, two lane mile high legend from Robbinsville North Carolina to Tellico Plains Tennessee. stop in Tellico at the bakery, you wont regret it :)
Hwy #143, Blue ridge pkwy . Wala rd .#28 moonshiner + TONS more. dont ride at nite...bad for animals on the road i was told.
the draggon is a must do but do it and go enjoy all of the other scenic rds, get a map and plan ahead....Oh 12 hrs. Not. its 1392km to Robbinsville.plan on 15 hrs, 2 days is better than not going ... but i gaurentee you will go back LOL... Have fun and be safe (bring a rain suit :) )
https://www.google.ca/search?q=the+...v&sa=X&ei=-6siVMGcF4WUyASz6oHoBg&ved=0CDIQsAQ

this should keep u buisy

Last edited:
This is doable in a long day to Max Meadows - then do the Back of the Dragon.
I came back via the 77 route to Cleveland and it was an enjoyable and fast ride.

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-09-24%2520at%2520Sep%252C%252024%2520%2520%2520%25202014%2520%2520%2520%25208.09.24%2520AM.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/WHU54

http://clawofthedragon.com/index.html

clawofthedragonmap.jpg

I'm leaving Sunday for Tail of the Dragon.

I'm staying one night in Morgantown, then two nights in Knoxville, I'm not sure where I'll be the following night, but then it's back to Toronto.

I could ride to Knoxville in one shot, but it wouldn't be fun. Morgantown is about halfway so it's a good day worth of riding.

When I head down in a few weeks, I will stay in the east at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and use it as a launching pad for exploring the northeast area much more.

Matthew: why are you staying in Knoxville as opposed to more in the heart of the good roads?

Rescue: While there are tons of other amazing roads than Deals Gap and folks often say everything down there is great, there are some that are clearly worth checking more than others. Here's a short list of some of the better ones:
Foothills Pkwy + Little River Road + NC441 - keeps you out of the tourist mess that is Pigeon Forge - very scenic with lots of great curves and Little River is beautifully twisty.
TN32 - just look at this on a map.
NC281 - also called Canada Rd - a hidden gem and very lightly travelled but with an awesome rhythm to it. Very fast, tight sweepers
NC215/276 - an awesome loop where NC2155 has smoother pavement.Cherohala Skyway - all time awesome, but careful on this road - it's easy to get carried away with very high speeds due to the faster sweepers and incredible views which can steal your attention
NC28 - an amazing road with several sections in the north that are more quiet and incredibly twisty - very nice near Fontana Dam.
Wayah Rd: follows a river for much of it and very twisty though sometimes not as smooth as the other good ones.
TN68 - south from Tellico Plains has beautiful scenery and fast sweepers
GA60/180 - beautiful scenery as a twisty mountain forest road with great pavement and little traffic.

If you have the time to head a bit north and west, many of these incredible roads can be linked up together to make a full day of twisty madness:
NC 209/212 combo - beautiful road through Hot Springs and beyond
NC197 - awesome
NC80 - aka the Devils Whip and it certainly can be - very twisty and intersects the Blue Ridge Parkway
NC226 - amazing road where the best section is a loop at the bottom, just south of the Blue Ridge Parkway
NC261/TN143 combo - a ride up past Roan Mountain State Park
NC197 - I have yet to go on this one, but it looks great!

If you are the type of person to ride on the forest roads and gravel trails - they open up a whole new experience that IMHO is considerably better than the paved stuff down there.
Safe Trips!

If you are the type of person to ride on the forest roads and gravel trails - they open up a whole new experience that IMHO is considerably better than the paved stuff down there.

anyone want to share a dual sport buy, insure and leave in the US?? :D
There MUST be a way .....

Shane, I like having the complimentary breakfast, in room shower and jacuzzi tub and clean sheets. i'm a princess

I'm leaving Sunday for Tail of the Dragon.

I'm staying one night in Morgantown, then two nights in Knoxville, I'm not sure where I'll be the following night, but then it's back to Toronto.

I could ride to Knoxville in one shot, but it wouldn't be fun. Morgantown is about halfway so it's a good day worth of riding.

Instead of Morgantown, you may want to aim a bit further west so you can hit Highway 555 in Ohio. Did it this past weekend, absolutely amazing.

Recommendation for places to stay overnight while riding these roads ?
Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge and Fontana Village are two inexpensive and popular places to either camp or sleep indoors and are right on NC28. There's also the Two Sisters Chalet which is right at the western base of the Foothills Pkwy and is really comfortable. Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort is right in the middle of all it. There are smaller motels and hotels spread throughout. This time I'll try the Blue Ridge Moto Campground which is on the eastern side of the area. Doesn't matter if you are camping or sleeping indoors, there are tons of options.

Im now thinking that making it to the dragon is al little over anxious. Also the thought it clog up with tourists with this nice weather has made change my plans. Definelty going to do the claw of the dragon and shanekingsley's suggestions of the nc80 and 209 north of Asheville. Just wondering if there are any good roads connecting the two? Making looking at staying in bristol?

Well then check out "The Snake" US421 which runs between Mountain City and Bristol. It is a longer road that crosses over two ranges with a valley in between. In the valley there is a general store that sells gas and all kinds of t-shirts and stickers. The road itself is awesome and very twisty! You could also check out the run up to Burkes Garden which is really close to "VA#16 The Back of the Dragon". If you are going to ride NC80 then also make sure you ride NC226a "little switzerland" which is equally awesome and the Blue Ridge Pkwy which connects a bunch of awesome roads together.
Safe trip!

Last edited:
Well then check out "the snake" US421 which runs between Mountain City and Bristol. It is a longer road that crosses over two ranges with a valley in between. In the valley there is a general store that sells gas and all kinds of t-shirts and stickers. The road itself is awesome and very twisty! You could also check out the run up to Burkes Garden. If you are going to ride NC80 then also make sure you ride NC226a "little switzerland" which is equally awesome and the Blue Ridge Pkwy which connects a bunch of awesome roads together.
Safe trip!

I'll confirm US421 is a great stretch of road.

And I almost forgot - there is a really nice road called Denton Valley Road which runs north of US421, just south of Bristol - it's an excellent ride to and from US421 and makes its way along farm country but its surprisingly twisty.

Last edited:
I was planning a ride South at the end of next week, maybe not necessarily reaching Deals Gap, but aiming to cover as many twisty rods as I can on the way there and back... Anybody else heading that way, interested in riding together ?

I agree with Mac.
The Wytheville VA area is a great area for cheap accommodations and tons of food.
hotelcoupons.com has some great rates.
I too am keeping a close eye on this area for next week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom