Rear Wheel Hop - Track Day | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear Wheel Hop - Track Day

The first thing I would do is make sure you have enough rear sag. At least 35mm with rider in full gear. Then I would start to remove rear damping two clicks at a time and see if that helps. That's a good start...

edit: just incase you are a heavy rider with a soft rear spring - you may have too much pre load on the shock. Check bike only free sag...you should have 10mm or so...
30-35 street. 25-30 track.

What an interesting topic. I am fascinated by the comment that blipping might be counterproductive with a slipper clutch. Actually I am glad to hear it because I run a slipper but have always been too much of a spaz to be able to blip the throttle while maintaining consistent brake pressure, so I do the downshift late and dump the clutch thing. I never get any hop but on some corners will consistently get rear end squirm i.e. light fish-tailing (T1 and GBM, for example, or T6 at TMP). It is very predictable and I don't find it to be a problem. I have to believe that the difference between squirm and hop could easily be in suspension setup (or springing) as others have suggested.

One other thing....are you *100%* sure you are not on the rear brake, not even a little tiny bit? Not being sarcastic here. You wouldn't be the first track rider to think they were off the rear when in fact they were using it instinctively.

Blipping the throttle with a slipper clutch is like grilling a steak and then putting it in the microwave. Wut.

I didn't know that about the slipper.

I guess this gives me something else to work on.

One other thing....are you *100%* sure you are not on the rear brake, not even a little tiny bit? Not being sarcastic here. You wouldn't be the first track rider to think they were off the rear when in fact they were using it instinctively.

I can guarantee no rear brake. My long legs tucked up on the pegs and riding on the ball of my foot. I do not have the articulation in my ankle to get to the brake even if I were in the middle of my foot. Rear disc looks as good as the day it was put on.

I think you need to figure out first if its chatter caused by back torque, or just you lifting the rear wheel under hard braking and it chattering across the pavement as it does

My bike has a stock slipper clutch, and I cant make it chatter unless I really try, maybe once in a 100 laps, but there is no way it would chatter every lap, especially at a small track like TMP ...Hard braking wheel hops on the other hand I get all the time...Its normal if you brake really hard and late, and you get used to it even thou in the beginning it feels really sketchy

Suspension would be weird that it only happens in one turn

Why not listen to RacePro171.. Number one plate holder at shannonville on a...............
ZX7RR ?????

I would like to add.. if i may.. under braking, don't transfer your weight to the front under braking. Use your knees squeezing the tank to keep your bum back in the seat instead of ramming yourself into the gas tank.
It will also make your arms less tired.. no more braking-g pushups. (for example at the end of shannonville i am > 1G of braking force on a 600)

Back
Top Bottom