GoPro Camera Questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

GoPro Camera Questions

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I had a GoPro Hero 960 camera until yesterday, when I left it in my tank bag without the waterproof case on it and my tank bag got flooded while parked in heavy rain. It's now dead. It only cost me $150 a few years ago when I bought it and I was happy enough with it. I've filmed gorilla's in hot and humid Uganda to marine life while scuba diving in Belize and it did exactly what it was supposed to. Not to mention all the moto video's I have taken with it. So now that I want to replace it, I see that there are newer versions and that Hero 3 is the way for me because I want to spend less than $300 on a replacement. I am not a camera nerd and am not that picky with camera settings and the latest and greatest picture/video resolution. I was thinking about getting the Hero3 White, and read that Silver is better than White and Black is the best of the bunch.

So I ask:
I see that the Hero 3 camera's use Micro SD cards and I still have a good 32GB SD card (not micro). Will they still accept the old SD cards or do they only have a micro slot?

I have two batteries from my old camera. Do the newer Hero 3 camera's take the same battery type, or did that change too?

I used to get about 4 hours of life from my old battery - how is the battery life on the newer ones?
How does the White version compare with the Hero960? Are Silver and White that different?

Anything else I am missing? I still have my old chest mount and I don't wear these things on my helmet. Just on my chest or on the bike.

I'm going on a trip in 10 days and want to get a new one before then.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

edit: I'm going to the states for 8-10 days so maybe I'll just get one there if it's cheaper?

Last edited:
I had a GoPro Hero 960 camera until yesterday, when I left it in my tank bag without the waterproof case on it and my tank bag got flooded while parked in heavy rain. It's now dead. It only cost me $150 a few years ago when I bought it and I was happy enough with it. I've filmed gorilla's in hot and humid Uganda to marine life while scuba diving in Belize and it did exactly what it was supposed to. Not to mention all the moto video's I have taken with it. So now that I want to replace it, I see that there are newer versions and that Hero 3 is the way for me because I want to spend less than $300 on a replacement. I am not a camera nerd and am not that picky with camera settings and the latest and greatest picture/video resolution. I was thinking about getting the Hero3 White, and read that Silver is better than White and Black is the best of the bunch.

So I ask:
I see that the Hero 3 camera's use Micro SD cards and I still have a good 32GB SD card (not micro). Will they still accept the old SD cards or do they only have a micro slot?

I have two batteries from my old camera. Do the newer Hero 3 camera's take the same battery type, or did that change too?

I used to get about 4 hours of life from my old battery - how is the battery life on the newer ones?
How does the White version compare with the Hero960? Are Silver and White that different?

Anything else I am missing? I still have my old chest mount and I don't wear these things on my helmet. Just on my chest or on the bike.

I'm going on a trip in 10 days and want to get a new one before then.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

edit: I'm going to the states for 8-10 days so maybe I'll just get one there if it's cheaper?

Hero 3 only takes micro card. Batteries are different. Will not switch from one to another either way. Battery life is much the same. With the extra BacPak?
BacPac I cannot interchange. However if you have the LCD Touch BacPac that is interchangeable Definitely cheaper in the States. Got a silver Hero 3 $200. Florida only 6% tax. The hero 4 is supposed to becoming out soon.
Might have some Brick and Mortar stores selling them off to get rid of them. Got mine at Target.
Hope this somewhat helps.

I have the hero 3 black with the lcd touch back. Ive used it in the rain, water rides, captyring fishes under water and of course on my bike when i commute to work. I have it set up with a suction cup.

Ill cover what hasnt been covered yet.

Battery on the black is approx. 100 mins with 1080p with thelcd off. it also stays on longer as you scale down the resolution.

As for extra battery, you can grab the wasabi brand battery pack for $30. Which comes with 2 batteries, a wall charger and a car charger. I bought mine from ebay.

These aftermarket batteries will last approx 70 mins each with the lcd off and set to 1080p wide (same settings as the oem battery)

If battery life is a big concern for you, why don't you wire in your camera to your bike?

Have a look at the Garmin Virb too. Sportcheck has a sale on the GoPros apparently. Head over to redflagdeals to see the details.

If you are looking at other cameras as an option look at this one: Sony HDR AS15
http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-...6Mp_Action_Mini_Wifi_Camcorder_027242854833/0

Looking at Youtube reviews, the video look as good or even better then the GoPro Black.

I bought it to compliment my Drift and I like it a lot and can't beat the price. $150 and it comes with about $100 worth of extra mounts

You can also buy extra batteries really cheap online.

If battery life is a big concern for you, why don't you wire in your camera to your bike?
Good idea - didn't know people did this and I like to keep it on for 8 hours at a time when I'm out riding.

Thanks for all the info and I think I am going to look for a Hero2 because its clearly better than my last one and still the right price point and I can still use my batteries and memory cards. Any suggestions on a place to get one?

Well...... I've got one I dont use much.

Awesome. If you want to sell it, let me know how much you want for it and what it comes with. I'm definitely interested.

I was hoping it would come back to life, but I think mine is really dead. It was swimming in a pool of water for hours and so I've let it dry for 3 days with no power coming back to it. The battery contacts inside the unit look damaged/corroded as well because it was on while it was swimming.

My voltmeter on my bike which is supposed to be waterproof also died, but that is slowly coming back to life. It still doesn't read the voltage right so if that doesn't improve in a few days in a day or two then I'll need a new one of those too:(

I was hoping it would come back to life, but I think mine is really dead. It was swimming in a pool of water for hours and so I've let it dry for 3 days with no power coming back to it. The battery contacts inside the unit look damaged/corroded as well because it was on while it was swimming.

My voltmeter on my bike which is supposed to be waterproof also died, but that is slowly coming back to life. It still doesn't read the voltage right so if that doesn't improve in a few days in a day or two then I'll need a new one of those too:(

Have you tried putting it into a bowl of rice? Not the bike the GoPro Lol

Anyone knows which GoPro Hero3 to get?

I'm planning to get Hero3 White version with weatherproof case.

OP i'm getting one from US Amazon, $199USD. What is the cheapest in Canada? If you want to order together we can do that.

Anyone knows which GoPro Hero3 to get?

I'm planning to get Hero3 White version with weatherproof case.

OP i'm getting one from US Amazon, $199USD. What is the cheapest in Canada? If you want to order together we can do that.

When I bought mine in the States it was part of my allowance and the USD and the CDN where very much on par.
Add up the cost difference, Taxes shipping. No warranty. Much of a difference? They all come with the combination cases. Cheapest I have seen is at Sportschek. Prices keep changing from day to day with the GoPro.

Not sure when they will be a sale on the GoPro 3 as the 4 is coming out soon????

That is with convert and inc taxes comes to about $250 cdn.

Polaroid has a new tiny cam 1080p, 90min recording, $99.

lifestyle_frame01.jpg

accessories.jpg

[video=youtube;D3V6YwC78xQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3V6YwC78xQ[/video]

Last edited:
Polaroid has a new tiny cam 1080p, 90min recording, $99.

lifestyle_frame01.jpg

accessories.jpg

[video=youtube;D3V6YwC78xQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3V6YwC78xQ[/video]

Nice. If the mounts are good it's worth trying. I bought a HD vivitar action cam on clearance at CT for $50. Camera was fine but the mounts were awful. Returned it

Back
Top Bottom